Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,274 times

Advertisements

I shared your tips with my co-workers. One of them had a good question. The "Monster Rehab" energy drinks are very popular here. Are these bad for you? It looks like they have a ton of caffeine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 03:47 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
At "somewhat active" according to the Mayo clinic's calorie calculator, with your weight/height/gender, 1800 calories will maintain your current weight. Somewhat active would be 30 minutes of non-strenuous exercise every day, or 20 minutes of vigorous exercise 3 times a week. I figure 15 minutes of bicycling every day would fall into this category.

That means, if you exercise 30 minutes daily (doubling your current 15 minute spurts), AND reduce your food intake by 300 daily calories (bringing your daily intake down to 1500) you'll be on a steady, healthy, reasonably-timed path to losing weight.

You can reduce 300 calories a day just by eliminating -two- pieces of fruit and 1 teaspoon of salad dressing.
This might cause her to lose a few pounds but the weight loss will eventually stall and she will have to increase exercise and probably reduce calories even further. I'm certified through National Academy of Sports Medicine and from what I've seen with people, the conventional calorie recommendations are set way to high for people who want to lose serious weight.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
This might cause her to lose a few pounds but the weight loss will eventually stall and she will have to increase exercise and probably reduce calories even further. I'm certified through National Academy of Sports Medicine and from what I've seen with people, the conventional calorie recommendations are set way to high for people who want to lose serious weight.
Well, I hate to say it because I know y'all came down like a ton of bricks on the 500 calorie lady, but I've been taking in about 1000 calories a day.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
Someone starting out doesn't need to know what they should do 6 months from now. They need to know what they need to do now. My recommendation is what she needs to do now, including the addition of the weight training (which she doesn't need to add THIS WEEK but should get started on in the first part of her weight loss journey).

Telling her 1200 now, then 1500, or maybe 1500 with this restriction, except only if you do that other thing, but also remember to keep this, and get rid of that, except for those two things which you can keep, along with somethingorother...

Is gonna inspire her to call out for pizza. It's exactly THAT kind of gobbledigook that has kept me from losing what I needed to lose, maintaining what I needed to maintain, and getting fit, up until a couple of months ago. And what I did, was STOP listening to all this nonsense about this restriction and that restriction and these allowances and these exceptions and this numeric goal and that numeric goal and carbs blah blah blah. And started eating more HEALTHFUL foods, in smaller portions, and dragging my sorry bum to the gym.

That is where someone who is clinically obese needs to start. Suggest the next phase, in a couple of months, when she's ready to prepare for the next phase.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
That is where someone who is clinically obese needs to start. Suggest the next phase, in a couple of months, when she's ready to prepare for the next phase.
omg, am I obese?

Old 07-12-2011, 06:09 PM

At 5'8", unless youre very muscular and have a big bone structure, yeah. Not morbidly obese. That'd be a whole nuther category.

I'm obese too, according to the "charts."

Old 07-13-2011, 07:57 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
Quote:
And started eating more HEALTHFUL foods, in smaller portions, and dragging my sorry bum to the gym.

this.

My experience too - I was at mid 180s - at my height, obese. I simply got more active, did some modest portion control, some modest increase in fruits and veggies (with what I was eating, fruit was an IMPROVEMENT) and I lost almost 20 pounds in a year and a half or so. Then I moved to a higher level when my DW got on WW, and then a few months later I started following WW.

But at full on obese, I didnt need WW to lose weight.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Quote:
I'm obese too, according to the "charts."
Interesting. So we're getting advice from a technically obese person? hmmm.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:26 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

if she is providing actual evidence, with links, it wouldnt matter if she had just gained 40 pounds. I trust you dont look up the BMI of every scientist who publishes a study.

If she is speaking from personal experience than her success could matter. If someone has lost weight, but has not yet broken through the obese/non obese line, I wouldnt dismiss that personal experience. My DW had achieved major losses on WW BEFORE she broke through that line.

Esp if one is taking a slow weight loss approach, there could be a considerable time between the initiation of successful weight loss, and the achievement of non obese status.

and BTW, I second Anonchicks advice on this thread, and I am at about the middle of my normal BMI range, and at my long term maintenance weight.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You're getting advice from someone who lived the first 45 years of her life at a healthy weight, but was losing her health due to smoking, who gained as the result of quitting smoking, and has been on a slow, but successful path to re-gaining health and fitness and returning to an acceptable weight.

You're getting advice from someone who has studied organic chemistry as part of her vocation, whose sister is a certified phlebotomist, whose grandfather was a dentist, another dentist for an uncle, several nurses in her family and two nurses in her in-law's family, one of whom was an active nurse for the VA for over 30 years...

in other words, you're talking to someone who has a clue about nutrition from both personal experience, a wealth of family professional medical experience, and the uncanny ability to discern between an op-ed piece and a research document.

I'd take my advice over some skinny guy who grunts a lot and lifts dumbells 3 hours a day.

That's just me though.

Edited to add: yes, nutrition DOES affect dental health. And dental health DOES affect your ability to eat properly. So yes, it's related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss