Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:41 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,105,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
You have to understand and know and a bit about nutrition otherwise you actually might think white bread is good for you.
Or you actually might think that white bread will make you gain weight....when it does no such thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Sure, but why would you want to do a calorie restricting diet in the first place? They don't work well...

Because of my current inability to exercise due to medical reasons? If I didn't cut my caloric intake.... I'd gain weight?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Because of my current inability to exercise due to medical reasons? If I didn't cut my caloric intake.... I'd gain weight?
Reducing your activity level shouldn't result in weight gain, after days of reduced physical activity your body should shift your food intake. Active caloric restriction is only required if you're consuming the wrong sorts of foods, namely the foods your body doesn't understand well.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:39 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,064,532 times
Oh for heaven's sake - of course if you continue to eat the same number of calories but reduce your activity level, you will gain weight - your body does not "shift your food intake" whatever that means. Anyone who has had a broken leg or any illness that confined them to bed and who continues to consume the same calories as before their accident - those people will tell you that you gain weight - this is only logical. If you want to avoid gaining weight - eat less and move more - that is a truism that will never change despite the illogical theories of some.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
Quote:
Yes, this is very true!

I tore my achilles tendon a couple of years ago and my mobility was greatly decreased for about a year - it's a very long recovery time for that sort of injury, and I was in a cast or a boot for eight months.

I did gain weight.

Also, boredom and depression that often accompanies injuries or illness can create "the munchies." Next thing you know - you're 15 pounds heavier!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,064,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, this is very true!

I tore my achilles tendon a couple of years ago and my mobility was greatly decreased for about a year - it's a very long recovery time for that sort of injury, and I was in a cast or a boot for eight months.

I did gain weight.

Also, boredom and depression that often accompanies injuries or illness can create "the munchies." Next thing you know - you're 15 pounds heavier!
I had this same experience - I broke my ankle and was in bed for 2 months (with a cast)....it about drove me nuts and I gained 10 lbs....and you are right about the munchies and boredom....if you are doing nothing to burn calories, they usually end up on your hips.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Oh for heaven's sake - of course if you continue to eat the same number of calories but reduce your activity level, you will gain weight - your body does not "shift your food intake" whatever that means.
Of course your body shifts your food intake in relation to your physical activity, I mean, do you imagine that every animal on the planet just magically maintains a healthy weight? What did humans do before we knew about calories? They just ate...and their body controlled their food intake.

People balloon in weight after reduced physical activity because their diet is poorly understood by their bodies and they've been controlling their weight actively, with physical activity, rather than passively with their diet.

Quote:
Anyone who has had a broken leg or any illness that confined them to bed and who continues to consume the same calories as before their accident - those people will tell you that you gain weight
Yes, if they eat the same amount of calories, they will gain weight....but the body recognizes that your energy intake is consistently more than it needs and makes efforts to reduce your energy intake....but the process gets short circuited when you consume a diet that your body doesn't understand. And the vast majority of Americans do just that...

Its funny that you talk so much about "Forks over Knives", yet consistently disagree with that the people in it actually say/think. Read the section on Obesity in Campbell's "China study" and you'll find his thoughts on the topic are similar to what I'm saying here....

Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Reducing your activity level shouldn't result in weight gain, after days of reduced physical activity your body should shift your food intake. Active caloric restriction is only required if you're consuming the wrong sorts of foods, namely the foods your body doesn't understand well.
Are you an alien or something?

For us humans, or bodies do not shift our food intake.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Are you an alien or something?
For us humans, or bodies do not shift our food intake.
This is funny..... Do you imagine that animals, including humans before modern science, all just magically maintained normal weights? Or...perhaps, just perhaps, they maintained normal weights because their bodies are able to moderate food intake in connection with their energy needs? The mechanism here should be well known to any human: hunger, satiation, that feeling of being stuffed, etc. As can be plainly seen, humans like other animals, have the ability to moderate food intake in connection to their energy needs....you just need to consume the sorts of foods your body understands for it to work as "designed".

Regardless, science is starting to understand how this all works as well. For example, as adipose tissue increases its fat content it starts to release hormones, namely leptin, and these hormones reduce hunger. Mice that can't produce leptin become obese and it seems that obese humans become resistant to the effects of leptin as well, hence why weight problems tend to get worse overtime.

Last edited by user_id; 10-02-2012 at 11:34 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
This is funny..... Do you imagine that animals, including humans before modern science, all just magically maintained normal weights? Or...perhaps, just perhaps, they maintained normal weights because their bodies are able to moderate food intake in connection with their energy needs? The mechanism here should be well known to any human: hunger, satiation, that feeling of being stuffed, etc. As can be plainly seen, humans like other animals, have the ability to moderate food intake in connection to their energy needs....you just need to consume the sorts of foods your body understands for it to work as "designed".

Regardless, science is starting to understand how this all works as well. For example, as adipose tissue increases its fat content it starts to release hormones, namely leptin, and these hormones reduce hunger. Mice that can't produce leptin become obese and it seems that obese humans become resistant to the effects of leptin as well, hence why weight problems tend to get worse overtime.
Moderate food intake? You mean like reduce calories?

You give a dog too much food, he will eat it, and become overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss