Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Cheater! LOL

I'm really hoping my extra 0.6 last week was from the Mexican food and chips I ate the day before weigh in.
Don't feel bad - I didn't lose any weight today at my weigh in - but I had lost 1.5 pounds or so this morning. I had a bigger than usual lunch - plus we had a cold snap today and I wasn't wearing my usual shorts and a tank top - I was wearing jeans and a shirt.

So I'm curious to see what I weigh in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 PM

947 posts, read 2,426,762 times
I have been trying to lose 10 pounds. I have a jump on some of you because I started day after Labor Day. I want to be able to stop the holiday spread and keep eating sensibly into the new year.
I have lost 5 pounds by cutting carbs. I have not had bread, pasta, rice, cereal, cookies, pastry, etc. After the first two weeks I added a piece of dark chocolate at night. Also a glass or two of red wine when I want it.
I am lucky that I like vegetables. I try to limit fruits as well. For breakfast, if I don't have two scrambled eggs and turkey bacon or sausage, I have fat-free plain Greek yogurt with a bit of splenda, walnuts, cinnamon and sliced strawberries. It is really good and holds you for a while. Vegetable juice, celery and hummus, soy nuts or almonds are all good snacks. Low fat cheese and grapes also works as a snack. Lunch is usually a salad with olive oil and balsamic or cider vinegar. Or a black bean burger (no bun) with guacamole and tomato eaten between two lettuce leaves. Natural peanut butter smeared on an apple or celery, low fat ricotta with fruit and nuts are good lunches, too. If you crave meat, lean roast beef or turkey rolled around a slice of avocado or green pepper and dipped in mustard or horseradish sauce is great.
Dinner is what I would usually make, but nothing breaded, deep fried and no starches, more veggies. Smaller portions of meat.
I have also given up diet soda-I think it makes you crave more foods. Water cleanses the palate. Drink more water.
Good luck everybody!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Don't feel bad - I didn't lose any weight today at my weigh in - but I had lost 1.5 pounds or so this morning. I had a bigger than usual lunch - plus we had a cold snap today and I wasn't wearing my usual shorts and a tank top - I was wearing jeans and a shirt.

So I'm curious to see what I weigh in the morning.
I caved and ate Chinese food for dinner. I am going to have to starve the next three days.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:11 AM

3,665 posts, read 8,675,045 times
What happened to the Thanksgiving challenge??

I'm still going, down 4.2.

How are the rest of you doing?

Old 10-26-2012, 07:41 AM

17,559 posts, read 39,208,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
I have been trying to lose 10 pounds. I have a jump on some of you because I started day after Labor Day. I want to be able to stop the holiday spread and keep eating sensibly into the new year.
I have lost 5 pounds by cutting carbs. I have not had bread, pasta, rice, cereal, cookies, pastry, etc. After the first two weeks I added a piece of dark chocolate at night. Also a glass or two of red wine when I want it.
I am lucky that I like vegetables. I try to limit fruits as well. For breakfast, if I don't have two scrambled eggs and turkey bacon or sausage, I have fat-free plain Greek yogurt with a bit of splenda, walnuts, cinnamon and sliced strawberries. It is really good and holds you for a while. Vegetable juice, celery and hummus, soy nuts or almonds are all good snacks. Low fat cheese and grapes also works as a snack. Lunch is usually a salad with olive oil and balsamic or cider vinegar. Or a black bean burger (no bun) with guacamole and tomato eaten between two lettuce leaves. Natural peanut butter smeared on an apple or celery, low fat ricotta with fruit and nuts are good lunches, too. If you crave meat, lean roast beef or turkey rolled around a slice of avocado or green pepper and dipped in mustard or horseradish sauce is great.
Dinner is what I would usually make, but nothing breaded, deep fried and no starches, more veggies. Smaller portions of meat.
I have also given up diet soda-I think it makes you crave more foods. Water cleanses the palate. Drink more water.
Good luck everybody!
that is a great diet. This is what I need to do, I am type 2 diabetic, plus need to lose about 15 more pounds. I cut carbs substantially when I was diagnosed, but I really need to cut back even more. I have cut my food portions and amped up my exercise. Inches are coming off faster than pounds, but the belly fat is stubborn (insulin resistance). I know full well if I would give up grains it would come off. I am working toward that.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:12 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,188,377 times
I could use this challenge. Im 185 now. So need to get to 175 by 22 Nov.

27 Days

Lose?: .37 lb/day, or a 3-4 lbs per week.

Hmmm...maybe getting down to 180 is more reasonable?

Old 10-26-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I have also given up diet soda-I think it makes you crave more foods.
..ive noticed this too!

Quote:
I have fat-free plain Greek yogurt with a bit of splenda, walnuts, cinnamon and sliced strawberries.
I mix up sliced strawbs, or other berries, and cinamanon with my cheerios. But havnt tried the walnuts yet. Good idea.

@@@@

Up for this challenge! I think the big challlenge for me is to kick work snacks and late night (after dinner) snax.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,850,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Several of us on this forum are doing the Weight Watchers Thanksgiving Challenge - which is to lose 1/2 to 2 pounds per week till Thanksgiving. So far, I think most people are challenging themselves to lose at least ten pounds by then.

Of course, I'm not limiting this thread to those who are doing Weight Watchers - all are welcome.

Are you in? If so, keep us updated!

I started last week, and have lost 1.5 pounds so far (weigh in is tomorrow). I'll update tomorrow.

READY SET GO!
Lose ten pounds by Thanksgiving, for many will mean putting 12 back on by Christmas.

Last edited by Charles; 10-26-2012 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 AM

^
Ay, theres the rub!

The secret is to yeah...put on maybe 5 miore...its gonna happen....but also to be aware of what yr eating to maintain a lower weight through the holidays so the increase isnt much, and you can diet down a bit again and lose the 5 lb gain, vs a 10-11-12 lb gain.

Sort of a dead cat bounce in the weight graph.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,850,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
Ay, theres the rub!

The secret is to yeah...put on maybe 5 miore...its gonna happen....but also to be aware of what yr eating to maintain a lower weight through the holidays so the increase isnt much, and you can diet down a bit again and lose the 5 lb gain, vs a 10-11-12 lb gain.

Sort of a dead cat bounce in the weight graph.

It's 69 times easier to lose 20 pounds in two months than it is to keep five of those pounds off for the next two months.

Weight-Loss Plans -- Why Do I Always Regain The Weight I Lose on Popular Diets? - Shape Magazine

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=415

When you lose weight

Most weight regained by older women is fat - USATODAY.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss