Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 04:33 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Dr. Oz has sold out to the sponsors. He is ready to promote the latest gimmick. He has let his ego compromise his integrity.

As opposed to most other MD's who sell out to the pharmaceutical companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 05:24 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
A quack is a person who claims to be a doctor, but isn't. OR a person of dubious medical professional accredition, who sells his own products claiming that they will produce cures, without actual science to confirm said cure.

Dr. Oz doesn't sell his own line of diet aids, and he -is- a qualified medical practitioner.

Snake-oil salesmen don't have to even -pretend- to be doctors, and that means that not all snake-oil salesmen are quacks. Amway distributors sell stuff that has questionable effects, but Amway distributors aren't quacks.

The two terms - snake-oil salesman - and quack - are not synonymous. A person can be both, or a person can be one and not the other.

LOL -- you can quibble semantics all you'd like. As I said in my (revised while you were quoting it) post, it's good enough for the majority of writers who've given him negative reviews -- so it's good enough for me.

I especially like this definition from Quackwatch.com:

Quote:
All things considered, I find it most useful to define quackery as the promotion of unsubstantiated methods that lack a scientifically plausible rationale.
In my opinion, the man is a quack. As always, YMMV.

Any chance we can get back to the thread topic now?

Old 11-06-2012, 06:22 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
Here's a different spin; I find thin women not the least attractive whatsoever.

I have always been in shape because I'm a distance runner and have completed many 50K trail races and road marathons.
My tastes in women however are not to be found in the sport that I love so much.

I have never dated a woman that was below a size 16. Most of my past relationships were with women that were averaging a size 20.

Yes, I'm what you call a BBW lover.
My wife is a size 20 and is in good health.

There are many attractive men who seek out and marry women of beautiful size.

Trust me just because your thin and " in shape" doesn't mean everyone finds your scrawny ass attractive.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:39 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post

I have always been in shape because I'm a distance runner and have completed many 50K trail races and road marathons.
My tastes in women however are not to be found in the sport that I love so much.

I have never dated a woman that was below a size 16. Most of my past relationships were with women that were averaging a size 20.

Yes, I'm what you call a BBW lover.
My wife is a size 20 and is in good health.

There are many attractive men who seek out and marry women of beautiful size.

Trust me just because your thin and " in shape" doesn't mean everyone finds your scrawny ass attractive.
My husband is like that, he's really thin, he loved me when I was a size 20. When I told him I wanted to go even lower he agreed with conditions, he told me as long as I didn't turn into a stick that would be okay, but he told me he doesn't want any size 2, we've agreed as low as I will go is a 10-12, i'm currently a 14. He really would prefer me not to lose weight, but I really wanted to for me for several reasons. One so I could have more clothing options, two so i'd feel good about myself and 3 because sugar diabetes runs in my family, nearly everyone on my dads side has it, so for my health I wanted to lose weight. I think it's great you love your woman just how she is and find her attractive at her current weight. It's a shame more men can not be that way, and be able to love and accept women no matter the size.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:01 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
As opposed to most other MD's who sell out to the pharmaceutical companies?
We are not talking about other doctors.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:28 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Congratulations to all formerly fat people who have lost weight.

Fat is NOT healthy and I hope it doesn't get to be the new normal.

I have never been overweight but when I was in my 20s I had to battle to gain weight so I know it's hard either way. Sometimes it's just the way you were born and you have to work harder at it than other people do. I was ridiculed for being thin until I went on a weight gaining diet and stuffed myself for one year.

p.s. if you are trying to LOSE weight, give up soda. Diet soda is also gross with chemicals. Just get a Brita filter and make clean tasting water, add ice. You can add lemon juice and a sweetener like agave syrup or Truvia. Tastes good and no calories.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I have never been overweight but when I was in my 20s I had to battle to gain weight so I know it's hard either way. Sometimes it's just the way you were born and you have to work harder at it than other people do. I was ridiculed for being thin until I went on a weight gaining diet and stuffed myself for one year.

p.s. if you are trying to LOSE weight, give up soda. Diet soda is also gross with chemicals. Just get a Brita filter and make clean tasting water, add ice. You can add lemon juice and a sweetener like agave syrup or Truvia. Tastes good and no calories.

Agree you you on the water thing, it's the best thing to drink. It's all I've drank for a year now, don't even miss pop. I looked at the back of a bottle recently because I was curious what was in it and I was disgusted to find out the put aspartame in nearly all of the pops *shudders* so glad I only drink water now.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I stopped drinking soda three years ago, except for an occasional sip that I steal from my husband's glass maybe once a week. I drink spring water, unflavored, uncarbonated, unsweetened. And hm - amazing, that hasn't caused me to lose weight.

I lost weight by eating more healthy foods, fewer unhealthy foods, all foods in more modest portions, exercising, and getting fit. I'm still losing weight, but my goal is to get fit. The weight comes off as a side effect of getting in shape.

Moderator cut: commenting on mod actions/comments

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-07-2012 at 05:34 AM..

Old 11-09-2012, 03:06 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post

Please show me in my post where I said that everyone finds my “scrawny ass” attractive .

Old 11-09-2012, 03:13 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
We are not talking about other doctors.
"We" weren't talking about Dr. Oz either until "somebody" brought it up.
But thank you for pointing that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss