Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 07:33 AM

22 posts, read 20,486 times

Advertisements

You know those commercials that says you can eat anything...its true. I went on a diet to lose 20 lbs and I end up losing almost 30 lbs. It takes discipline and commitment. I simply counted my calories (1200), had a shake and no eating after 7 pm.

My husband who works out every day was taking this raw organic shake (vanilla) and he was losing weight so he suggested I try it. I ate breakfast, shake for lunch and dinner. I also walked my dog around the apartment complex. I tried using our gym but I hate exercising so that only lasted 1 week. For example, I will eat 3 strips of turkey bacon, a slice of whole wheat bread for breakfast with a glass of orange juice, a shake for lunch and then dinner. I ate whatever I wanted including bread, burger, cake. All I did was made sure I included everything in my calorie app.

Although I have lost the weight I still drink the shake but I don't count my calories anymore and I only walk my dog.

I don't know if I can post the brand of the shake but if you google raw organic shake you will see it. The only difference is I did not mix the powder with water or unsweetened almond milk (hated that). Instead I mixed it with a liquid protein shake (store brand).

I forget to mention that I did this in about 3-4 months. If you love exercising it will take you less. I am 5'6 and on a good day I'll weigh 145 and on a bad day less than 150 lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 09:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Congrats on the weight loss, but based on what you wrote it seems like your diet is lacking in fiber, produce and nutrients. Where are the veggies?

Old 11-28-2017, 09:30 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Sounds like Slimfast or something similar. I did Slimfast back in the late 80's getting ready for a trip to Hawaii. I only needed to lose about 10 lbs and I did lose it. I went to Hawaii, looked great, (or at I thought I looked great) came back and promptly gained the weight back. IMO just say 'no' to gimmicky diets, unless you have a solid plan to maintain afterwards.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:50 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
My main problem with this is that it doesn't seem sustainable. To truly conquer the battle of the bulge, you have to change not only your calorie consumption but your overall mentality. Using shakes for two meals I just don't see myself doing for life. I drink protein shakes for breakfast because they're quick and easy, but I make sure I eat actual meals all the other times. Also, I think 1200 calories is just too low and is probably lacking. But then again, you are doing little, if any, exercise so I guess you have to eat less than those who do.

I also follow the "eat in moderation"/"calorie management" plan, so I eat plenty of things. And you're right, it does take discipline and commitment. However, you can "eat whatever you want" to an extent. If your caloric budget is 1500, or in your case 1200, and you are sedentary, then some foods can easily take you over your limit and you'll gain weight.

You really should consider exercising, for health reasons. Also, by exercising, I didn't just lose weight, I got a toned body and less loose skin. So from a vanity standpoint, working out is the difference between "good" and "awesome".

Old 11-29-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Congrats on the weight loss, but based on what you wrote it seems like your diet is lacking in fiber, produce and nutrients. Where are the veggies?
Oh I had fruits during the day like a banana or some grapes and veggies with no dressing during dinner.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:52 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,426,907 times
Sue311, what was your starting weight? Also, what is your age range and height as these are factors to be considered in determining if what you have done is actually good and can be continued long term. I ask because often people who are considered to be morbidly obese easily lose the first 20-30 pounds. So really, what you posted isnt really helping anyone. Also, its more important to focus on being HEALTHY instead of just losing weight. Your nutritional intake is seriously lacking. I mean, it is not at all what a person who cares about their health would eat.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My main problem with this is that it doesn't seem sustainable. To truly conquer the battle of the bulge, you have to change not only your calorie consumption but your overall mentality. Using shakes for two meals I just don't see myself doing for life. I drink protein shakes for breakfast because they're quick and easy, but I make sure I eat actual meals all the other times. Also, I think 1200 calories is just too low and is probably lacking. But then again, you are doing little, if any, exercise so I guess you have to eat less than those who do.

I also follow the "eat in moderation"/"calorie management" plan, so I eat plenty of things. And you're right, it does take discipline and commitment. However, you can "eat whatever you want" to an extent. If your caloric budget is 1500, or in your case 1200, and you are sedentary, then some foods can easily take you over your limit and you'll gain weight.

You really should consider exercising, for health reasons. Also, by exercising, I didn't just lose weight, I got a toned body and less loose skin. So from a vanity standpoint, working out is the difference between "good" and "awesome".
I was wondering where I wrote I had shakes for two meals. This is where punctuation is so important . I meant to say I have breakfast, a shake for lunch, and dinner which included veggies, produce and protein (meat). I had no loose skin to begin with and after loosing the weight I would see my ribs, which I hated. I do exercise...I walk my dog (smile) plus I am constantly walking during the day. My Fitbit when I wore it would show between 7,000 - 10,000 steps.

I have to say I love the shake and it taste good so I don't mind having it for lunch. I only do so now during the week. On weekends I eat. However, I am so used to eating small amounts for breakfast that when I have lunch I am full for the day. For example, I will have breakfast at 10 am and a Chick Fil-A sandwich and milk shake at 3 pm or 4 pm or a Red Robin burger with everything and I am full. No need to eat anything else for the day.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Sue311, what was your starting weight? Also, what is your age range and height as these are factors to be considered in determining if what you have done is actually good and can be continued long term. I ask because often people who are considered to be morbidly obese easily lose the first 20-30 pounds. So really, what you posted isnt really helping anyone. Also, its more important to focus on being HEALTHY instead of just losing weight. Your nutritional intake is seriously lacking. I mean, it is not at all what a person who cares about their health would eat.
My starting weight was 175 and I am in my 40's. I was just eating too much. Yeah, I could do better with my nutritional intake; Yesterday I had a waffle, 3 strips of turkey bacon and orange juice for breakfast plus my multivitamins, a shake for lunch, banana (snack before dinner), and then a steak and salad for dinner .

Last edited by sue311; 11-29-2017 at 07:52 AM..

Old 11-29-2017, 09:01 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue311 View Post
My starting weight was 175 and I am in my 40's. I was just eating too much. Yeah, I could do better with my nutritional intake; Yesterday I had a waffle, 3 strips of turkey bacon and orange juice for breakfast plus my multivitamins, a shake for lunch, banana (snack before dinner), and then a steak and salad for dinner .
Is it Herbalife? I'm asking because that seems to be the fad around here lately. The nutritional shake shops are popping up everywhere. I was thinking of trying it, but they are expensive!

Old 11-30-2017, 09:07 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Is it Herbalife? I'm asking because that seems to be the fad around here lately. The nutritional shake shops are popping up everywhere. I was thinking of trying it, but they are expensive!
I think Herbalife is a pyramid scheme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss