Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times

Advertisements

Freshly ground flaxseed meal is rich in omega 3's.

We have a little coffee grinder that we use only for flaxseed. We grind a couple day's amount at a time & put it daily on our porridge in the morning.

How about veggie burgers, like Morningstar's? Or better yet, make your own from lentils, brown rice, black beans, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm sure I will find something to help me here.

Opsimathia -- that site sounds very interesting and I am going to check it out.

And luckily I do love nuts, I just have to be careful to not eat too many as that can be bad as well. I try to include as many whole grains and seeds as much as possible. But I'm sure there are other things that I can try to add. And I will just keep taking my omega suuplements.

gentlearts - No I am not allergic, but becoming nauseous when one even smells fish is a real turnoff. I assure you that I am NOT lazy and am willing to make changes. But I am not going to force myself to eat something that makes me sick. That is why I asked for ideas. I'm not sure why when someone admits they are overweight, people immediately label them as lazy and unwilling to make the changes necessary. I can assure you that I DON'T sit around and eat candy, donuts, cookies, ice cream, cake, etc. etc. etc. all day long. I am sure that there are some foods that are good for you that you don't like and are unwilling to eat.

There are days when I wish I could just quit eating completely. It would just be so much easier. But alas that is just not possible.
Just a tip for controlling the nut intake:
Measure your portions then-
Sprinkle them on salads. That way you can measure it and when its mixed with the salad its more satisfying and you don't keep going back for more. Stick with the unsalted for your health and they make the leaves less wilty. I like: walnuts, pine nuts, chick peas(not a nut but same nutritional purpose) and cashews and almond slivers. If the cashews are too hard just put them in a bag and crush them between two cutting boards or use a baking roller over them. You can also soak them in hot water if you want them whole.

You can also look in the health food sections for low sodium, low sugar nut bars. They are kinda expensive but a nice "to go" impulse buy if you are out and need a quick snack. If you are into cooking making your own is easy. You can batch them up and leave them in the freezer. That way you won't just sit there eating them...unless breaking your teeth is a goal..;p

Good Luck!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
what about Fish oil caplets? You can still get Omega 3 without actually eating fish.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:03 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Freshly ground flaxseed meal is rich in omega 3's.

We have a little coffee grinder that we use only for flaxseed. We grind a couple day's amount at a time & put it daily on our porridge in the morning.

How about veggie burgers, like Morningstar's? Or better yet, make your own from lentils, brown rice, black beans, etc.

I put my flaxseed in my oatmeal every morning. I love porridge, but the one I really love it quite high in fat.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
I don't eat seafood and I don't have any issues... and I'm not going to eat something I find disgusting, just to get healthy benefits. Don't eat liver either... but eat lots of fruits and veggies, pasta and chicken.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:02 PM

467 posts, read 664,594 times
Omega-3 isn't essential; you don't need to take fish oil supplements:
Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?

Don't eat nuts, they are chock-full of polyunsaturated fatty acid.

For protein, drink milk & eat meat in moderation. Gelatin is suprisingly high in protein and full of amino acids that you don't get from a lot of other foods.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,119 times
It sounds like you really might be allergic to fish/seafood if you have tried it several times. No reason to force yourself to eat this when you've honestly made an attempt at it. I don't care for red meat so I totally understand! Good luck to you!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
what about Fish oil caplets? You can still get Omega 3 without actually eating fish.
That's what I was thinking. Unless you have an allergy to seafood, of course.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Walnuts also have lots of omega-3s. Try those in your oatmeal, on salads, etc.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM

178 posts, read 355,321 times
Different fruits and flowers edible seeds are one of the substitute of sea foods, they are high in iron. sunflower seed contains omega3 fatty acids, roasted pumpkin seeds is also a very good option. also include vegetables, fruits and meat i.e lamb, beef and dairy products balance the amount of protein and other minerals find in sea food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss