Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Didn't mean to be condescending but there is a huge difference between 24 and 44. I think it was the whole cutting back on the eggnog and losing 10 pounds thing that made me a little snarky. Sorry!

Yes, you can still be in decent shape as you get older but you will work a lot harder for results. And I agree that you will have an easier time achieving results if you are exercising - so definitely keep it up.
Right on, and that was what I meant.

Everyone's situation is different, but as life goes on - career, extra hours at work to BUILD that career, spouse, kids, etc. it also gets harder to work in an hour and a half of exercise every single day. Not to mention that as you age, your body can't take the abuse of "working out till you puke" every day either. Joints begin to say, "Errrr - no. And if you don't stop - I'll MAKE you stop."

Ah to be young again! But I'm not - though I am in good shape for my age, at 50 I now look back on my twenties and remember how easy it was to drop 8-10 pounds in two weeks - EASY. Now it takes me two months, and two weeks to GAIN it! Oh well - it beats the alternative, which would be me in my grave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right on, and that was what I meant.

Everyone's situation is different, but as life goes on - career, extra hours at work to BUILD that career, spouse, kids, etc. it also gets harder to work in an hour and a half of exercise every single day. Not to mention that as you age, your body can't take the abuse of "working out till you puke" every day either. Joints begin to say, "Errrr - no. And if you don't stop - I'll MAKE you stop."

Ah to be young again! But I'm not - though I am in good shape for my age, at 50 I now look back on my twenties and remember how easy it was to drop 8-10 pounds in two weeks - EASY. Now it takes me two months, and two weeks to GAIN it! Oh well - it beats the alternative, which would be me in my grave!
you don't to work out an hour and a half per day and you don't have to do it 7 days a week. and those are all excuses i hear from obese people. they can do something to change their diet since it is 70% of the reason why they're fat to begin with. and then they **** and moan about how their life sucks and take it out on other people. if they spent more time putting down the fork and getting on the treadmill, they would better cope with stress and wouldn't snap out on people

Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
you don't to work out an hour and a half per day and you don't have to do it 7 days a week. and those are all excuses i hear from obese people. they can do something to change their diet since it is 70% of the reason why they're fat to begin with. and then they **** and moan about how their life sucks and take it out on other people. if they spent more time putting down the fork and getting on the treadmill, they would better cope with stress and wouldn't snap out on people
What does any of this mean-spirited rant have to do with Christmas ... ?

Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What does any of this mean-spirited rant have to do with Christmas ... ?
speaking of people snapping out on others....

how am i being mean-spirited? i am blunt, i tell it like it is. don't like it? put me on ignore. i mentioned christmas in my last post...but nobody has mentioned it since then. and if im not mistaken, this is the diet and weight loss subforum. so i ask you ohio, what does your ultimatum have to do with diet and weight loss?

Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I'm assuming you haven't read the sticky at the top of the thread list:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...note-mods.html

Quote:
Insensitive remarks: It is sad that this has to even be mentioned, but please refrain from making remarks that are hurtful , unkind or insensitive. This is a forum for people who are trying to lose weight ; it is not a place for people to make unkind remarks. People who are overweight need lots of encouragement as they are often very hard on themselves . Please offer each other kindness and support .

Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
I gained 2-3 lbs and I know it was the carbs/sugar as I had been doing a low carb diet and it was going well. Too many sweets and with the carbs and sugar I tend to retain a lot of water. Once back on the low carb the water weight goes away and I am back on track.

I did enjoy all the goodies I had though.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,641 times
Quote:
I will admit that weight is mostly do what you eat. I have dropped about 10lbs in 2 months and have not worked out yet, but this is a little harsh.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:36 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:

Rephrase:

You don't to work out an hour and a half per day and you don't have to do it 7 days a week. You can do something to change their diet since it is 100% the reason anyone is fat to begin with. Spend more time reading about nutrition which can also improve mood, energy and body pain issues. Age is about working smarter, not harder. Opt for a bike over a treadmill as it burns more calories without joint stress. They even make reclined ones for those with knee problems.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:39 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
I will admit that weight is mostly do what you eat. I have dropped about 10lbs in 2 months and have not worked out yet, but this is a little harsh.

I agree. You could almost say they were snapping out.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm assuming you haven't read the sticky at the top of the thread list:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...note-mods.html

don't lecture me on forum rules. if the mods had that much of a problem with my posts, i would've received an infraction or had my posts edited by them. you have no business trying to moderate the forum telling people how to behave. let them handle that. i get it....you have your own posse to gang up on me. i don't care. i stand behind my comments 100%. i halfway expect you to snitch on me...go right ahead. unlike some people here, this forum does not make up a significant part of my life. people want to single me out and be condescending because i am a certain age. i have a right to defend myself. yes...it is more difficult to lose weight as i get older...i get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
the truth can be harsh. good for you dropping the weight. exercise is a catalyst to losing weight though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Rephrase:

You don't to work out an hour and a half per day and you don't have to do it 7 days a week. You can do something to change their diet since it is 100% the reason anyone is fat to begin with. Spend more time reading about nutrition which can also improve mood, energy and body pain issues. Age is about working smarter, not harder. Opt for a bike over a treadmill as it burns more calories without joint stress. They even make reclined ones for those with knee problems.
it is not 100% of the problem. it is 70% and i stand by my statement. i've read up plenty about nutrition and i use an elliptical most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I agree. You could almost say they were snapping out.
doubtful. i only react defensively when people lecture me on how to behave on a forum. give me a break
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss