Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,548,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I've been using chia seeds twice a day, they make me feel full for hours and I've been able to lose weight just by adding these seeds.
Ch ch ch chia!

How do you use them? Just eat them, or put them in something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 12:35 PM

Thank you all, I'm very happy to see my experience is useful to someone.

I just thought of another way my thinking sabotaged me. I used to think it wasn't fair that I had to diet. I'd see a pizza commercial and think the company wouldn't be paying for that unless it made tens of thousands of people across America immediately go out and buy a pizza. Why can they have it and I can't?

I don't know why it took me so long to look around and realize that most of those people are overweight. I could eat it too if I didn't mind staying overweight.

Yeah, there are a few people who can eat anything and stay thin, but they're in the minority. A former Boise State Bronco who is now a starting O-Lineman for the Denver Broncos has a food blog that I read. He blogged that he went to a fair with his family and ate only one fried Oreo as the rest of his family taunted him while eating several. In another blog he talked about how he found some big frozen burritos that he loved because they filled him up with only one tortilla that kept his carb intake down where with other brands he had to eat 2. I was shocked to see that a 300+ pound man who gets a ton of exercise has to watch what he eats!

If a professional athlete who earns a living by being HUGE has to watch what he eats, then I guess it IS fair that I have to eat right in order to look good and be healthy.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,688,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Ch ch ch chia!

How do you use them? Just eat them, or put them in something?
I drink them, I add 1 TBS to a glass of water or add them to smoothies or juice, let them sit for 15 minutes, they form into a gel, then I stir it and drink. I try to drink this about a half hour before breakfast and dinner, they swell up in your stomach making you feel full longer.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,983,501 times
Quote:
I drink them, I add 1 TBS to a glass of water or add them to smoothies or juice, let them sit for 15 minutes, they form into a gel, then I stir it and drink. I try to drink this about a half hour before breakfast and dinner, they swell up in your stomach making you feel full longer.
Kind of like a trendier version of metamucil, right?

Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,688,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Kind of like a trendier version of metamucil, right?
No, chia is much healthier. Google it.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
65 calories per Tbsp, I think I'll try them. I wonder if Fred Meyer has them in their bulk bins?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 AM

21,009 posts, read 28,615,323 times
Quote:
any side effects to using these? Do they make you constipated? I read a little bit on them and it's sounds like something to try. Maybe my local health food store carries them.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM

6,587 posts, read 17,590,461 times
Lilly, thank you for sharing your thought processes with all of us. I'm not calling it "dieting" anymore; it's a change in my eating habits, that's all. The first place I'm starting is portion size, and just being aware of how much my diet has drifted away from what I know is healthy. I'm also trying to not drink my calories; I put so much cream and sugar into my coffee that a friend of mine calls it "dessert"! I was drinking two cups a day; now I'm down to one. I'm also drinking more water, which is better for me in general.

I've also started to exercise, but I've chosen something that's fun - dancing. Moving more makes me feel better (my joints loosen up, and I have a better outlook emotionally).

I'm going to weigh myself once a week, but measure myself only once a month. I'll be able to tell the difference by the way my clothes fit, anyway, but I need to track my progress.

The best way for me to cope is to think of this as: "I need to lose five pounds." If I think, "I need to lose twenty-five pounds", that's overwhelming. Anyone can lose five pounds, right? And then another five, and so on. I just need to stick with this until I lose about fifteen pounds and have gone down one size! That'll be all the motivation I need to keep going!

Self-sabotage is a dangerous thing. I tend to do the "F--- that, who cares?" inner dialog when I stop at McDonald's. It's an angry voice, so I need to identify where the anger is coming from and why it's self-directed. Food for thought! (Pun intended! )

Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

Self-sabotage is a dangerous thing. I tend to do the "F--- that, who cares?" inner dialog when I stop at McDonald's. It's an angry voice, so I need to identify where the anger is coming from and why it's self-directed. Food for thought! (Pun intended! )
Yep, sometimes it's a hard problem to solve.

Me, after 10 years I still haven't figured out why I rationalize eating after I see what I weigh, nor have I figured out how to stop the rationalizing. But I didn't want to stay fat till I figured it out, so I had to just stop weighing except when I had a planned treat day anyway.

Food for thought indeed.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:17 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,099,919 times
Quote:
I've been using chia seeds twice a day, they make me feel full for hours and I've been able to lose weight just by adding these seeds.
You are soaking the chia seeds first before consuming, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss