Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 02:48 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,170,599 times

Advertisements

I'm a 27 year old male. I had double knee surgery last winter, and for the last month or so I've been working out upper body strength, ab and lower back workouts, and cardio through biking and running.

I've worked out 5-8 times a week for the last 4 weeks.

For the last week I've gone on a calorie plan of 1500-1800 calories intake a day. With exercise I burn on average 300-500 calories a day.

I've been eating specific foods like fruit, lean meats (salmon and chicken), subway 6" sandwiches (the low fat options), and water. I eat some vegetables like spinach and broccoli.

It's been a month and I've only lost a total of 5 lbs doing this much working out. Only thing is I FEEL a lot thinner. A pair of pants that fit me perfectly before I noticed I needed belt for. Most of my weight goes to my butt and stomach area, and I can visually and physically see/feel a big difference, but only 5 lbs??

Could it be from puting on muscle mass? I mean I'm a bigger guy naturally and it's always been easy for me to "beef up" from weight lifting, but could the amount of fat I'm burning have been equally replaced by the muscle mass I'm adding?

Does anyone know how this works or if it's possible? I'd just like to use another benchmark for success if weight is being deceptive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 03:08 PM

181 posts, read 599,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I'm a 27 year old male. I had double knee surgery last winter, and for the last month or so I've been working out upper body strength, ab and lower back workouts, and cardio through biking and running.

For the last week I've gone on a calorie plan of 1500-1800 calories intake a day. With exercise I burn on average 300-500 calories a day.

I've been eating specific foods like fruit, lean meats (salmon and chicken), subway 6" sandwiches (the low fat options), and water. I eat some vegetables like spinach and broccoli.

It's been a month and I've only lost a total of 5 lbs doing this much working out. Only thing is I FEEL a lot thinner. A pair of pants that fit me perfectly before I noticed I needed belt for. Most of my weight goes to my butt and stomach area, and I can visually and physically see/feel a big difference, but only 5 lbs??

Could it be from puting on muscle mass? I mean I'm a bigger guy naturally and it's always been easy for me to "beef up" from weight lifting, but could the amount of fat I'm burning have been equally replaced by the muscle mass I'm adding?

Does anyone know how this works or if it's possible? I'd just like to use another benchmark for success if weight is being deceptive.
First of all, great work!! You can't spot fat reduce, meaning you can't directly burn fat from your stomach/glutes.

You're not going to gain too much muscle mass with your caloric intake so i don't think that is it. How many meals do you have per day?

You might want to look into HIIT (High intensity interval training) to optimize your cardio- It's really good for weight loss.

You might have very well lost more than 5 lbs. What did you eat/drink before you weighed yourself and when did you do it? How much do you weigh? Regardless of whether or not you lost 5 lbs or 25 lbs, it seems like you're very disciplined and dedicated and i think you'll reach your goals.

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:09 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,545,078 times
Quite simply, you are tightening up----muscles weigh more than fat.

Keep doing what you're doing and don't give up....I know it's disappointing at times when one is trying so hard, (I've been there my whole adult life, so I understand), but it sounds like you are doing great! Take care of your knee....you are young and have a lot of living yet to do.....

Old 04-20-2010, 03:46 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,170,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
First of all, great work!! You can't spot fat reduce, meaning you can't directly burn fat from your stomach/glutes.

You're not going to gain too much muscle mass with your caloric intake so i don't think that is it. How many meals do you have per day?

You might want to look into HIIT (High intensity interval training) to optimize your cardio- It's really good for weight loss.

You might have very well lost more than 5 lbs. What did you eat/drink before you weighed yourself and when did you do it? How much do you weigh? Regardless of whether or not you lost 5 lbs or 25 lbs, it seems like you're very disciplined and dedicated and i think you'll reach your goals.

Good luck!
I eat roughly 5 meals a day, sometimes 6. I keep portions small, usually like 300-500 calories/meal earlier in the day, tone it down to less as the day goes on. I weigh myself at lunch after I've worked out and about to hit the shower. By then I've been drinking water and had a couple meals in me. I weigh 200lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Quite simply, you are tightening up----muscles weigh more than fat.

Keep doing what you're doing and don't give up....I know it's disappointing at times when one is trying so hard, (I've been there my whole adult life, so I understand), but it sounds like you are doing great! Take care of your knee....you are young and have a lot of living yet to do.....
Its actually BOTH of my knees, but I'm doing well, I'm very active, and I play on becoming even more active soon. I don't think I'm recovered enough for HIIT yet, but I'll look into it once I'm fully recovered.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:07 PM

181 posts, read 599,206 times
Quote:
I eat roughly 5 meals a day, sometimes 6. I keep portions small, usually like 300-500 calories/meal earlier in the day, tone it down to less as the day goes on. I weigh myself at lunch after I've worked out and about to hit the shower. By then I've been drinking water and had a couple meals in me. I weigh 200lbs.

Its actually BOTH of my knees, but I'm doing well, I'm very active, and I play on becoming even more active soon. I don't think I'm recovered enough for HIIT yet, but I'll look into it once I'm fully recovered.
good idea with the 5-6 meals. Keep that up. You probably weigh more because of what you said than you'd weigh in the morning.

good luck

Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 PM

739 posts, read 2,264,658 times
it could be not enough running. Too much muscle is also bad for your heart. Its best to keep your bmi around 22-24 if you want to live very long. For example I am 5-7 and about 154. When I lift weight i use low weight and high reps like 15-20 so I won't get bigger. It won't help my running any.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:34 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,808,165 times
Keep track of your measurements. There have been times that I've lost measurements but no weight. Also when you work out your big muscle groups, you burn calories too. I was grounded from running for 3 weeks and lost 4 lbs during that time. So you can lose weight by not running.
A personal saying I have is "It took time to put the weight on, it will take time to take it off". I think your doing just fine in your weightloss. My averages were from 3-6 lbs a month.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:23 PM

196 posts, read 564,786 times
Most likely you didn't gain any muscle mass. It is quite difficult considering your low-calorie diet. 5 lbs is not that bad, that just means that you didn't lose any muscles and purely burned fat. Congrats! But I would still consider increasing your cals a bit. And save HIIT for last lbs.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:29 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,297,885 times
Quote:

What are you using to figure out how much you burned?
What are you "burning" with? (exercise time specifics, ie: walking @ 5mph 30 min)
Is that calorie intake for your total intake no exercise cals subtracted?
What are you using to measure your calories with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss