Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,102,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I read about that as well on another site. It kind of confirms what anthropologists have been saying for quite some time, namely that being a bit overweight is fine.
Which anthropologists? And when did anthropologists become medical authorities?

Being overweight is rare in primitive societies, for one, the people in these societies can hardly afford maintain a higher body weight.... Being slim is the norm for people, after all, that is why Americans have been getting progressively fatter and not progressively slimmer.... Before TV, the widespread use of models, etc....people were much much slimmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 AM

Reading this article makes you believe that this idea is widely believed, but its not...

"De Gonzalez and her fellow researchers found that overweight participants had a 13 percent higher mortality risk than people in the lower BMI ranges, contrary to those previous findings. The beneficial effect of being overweight that other researchers found could also be due to other factors in addition to smoking and poor health, said obesity experts"

Higher BMI Associated With Greater All-Cause Mortality Risk - ABC News

Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,506,618 times
It is so frustrating that people actually believe that being healthy and fit is all in how fat or skinny you are.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
It is so frustrating that people actually believe that being healthy and fit is all in how fat or skinny you are.
Don't think many people believe this...... What people believe is that being overweight, and especially being obese, isn't healthy......and that is what decades of research demonstrates. The study in the OP is the odd-ball....which makes it suspect. The last study I saw like this was funded by coke, not sure about this one.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,941,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I am with you! While I am now at my ideal weight and have lots of muscle mass, for years I was very active but "stuck" at 20 lb more than now. I did lots of exercise (only cardio though) and worked so hard, but yet was unable to get to where I am now, because I did not have the knowledge to do so. Still, at that point I was not unhealthy anymore, even with those 20 lb. I was extremely active and eating a South Beach type of plan.

Of course I feel even better now, but that has to do with adding heavy weights and tweaking my diet to be even cleaner and better for me. I am still not "skinny" and never will be. I prefer to concentrate on fitness goals and do want to have my body fat percentage measured soon.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 PM

Physical fitness, that is the ability to do various physical tasks, is not the same as overall health. One can be physical fit, yet have well developed atherosclerosis. in determine your health a host of factors should be considered, your physical fitness, your cholesterol levels, blood pressure, weight, etc.

Unless one suffers from a rare genetic disorder...they can be lean. Being overweight is a an indicator of poor diet and as a result being unhealthy regardless of your "fitness" level.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,061,697 times
I have a good friend who has been obese most of her adult life....but she always argued that she was "healthy." I used to walk with her but in her late 40's she had so many problems with her feet, ankles and knees that she stopped being able to walk for exercise becoming nearly sedentary by the time she was 50. Then at 52 she had 2 knee replacements and a little later an intestinal bypass - she got an infection and almost died...she has lost weight since the operation (2 years ago) but she is still overweight.

I have found that many obese and nearly obese people claim they are healthy....but this is far from the truth.....more accurately, their body is slowly breaking down from the effects of carrying all that weight and functioning on a high fat/sugar/calorie diet - they are a time bomb waiting to explode.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 PM

I am not talking about obese people. I am talking about people like myself who are maybe 10-15 pounds over weight. I am in good shape. I don't have a flat stomach but I am in physically good shape. I have never in my entire life been sick due to my physical health. I have no knee problems, ankle problems, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes or anything else related to health that could be harmful. Right now I walk around 6 miles per day at a 4 mile an hour pace. If I walk any slower I don't even break a sweat.
My whole family are the same way. We are a very healthy family. Sure, it would not hurt to loose 15 pounds. I would certainly look better in other peoples eyes I'm sure. I also wouldn't mind fitting into my size 8 non-stretch jeans again. So for my its more of a shallow reason why I would like to loose weight.

My 120 pound, 5'7" best friend have had more health problems than me, among other things high blood pressure and borderline high cholesterol. She also could not run 2 miles even if her life depended on it.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 01-06-2013 at 01:12 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 04:43 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,061,697 times
Lose that extra weight...you will look and feel better. Why not fit into those size 8 jeans?

Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Lose that extra weight...you will look better. Why not fit into those size 8 jeans?
True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss