Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,089,987 times

Advertisements

I know this will never happen but just admit you made a bonehead statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,554,556 times
Cattnap, a person who lived in a state where there are so many size 2 women, of course a size 8 will come across as "chunky". Most anywhere else a size 8 is considered perfectly normal.

When I was a size 4- 6 ( im 5'6 ) I was living at the gym. 3-4 hours per day and I ate super healthy all the time.It was fun for a while but not the lifestyle I wanted for the rest of my life. I rather be a size 8-10 and enjoy life with moderate exercise and eat what I want in moderation, than obsessing about calories and the perfect body for the rest of my life. Like I said. I have never been sick for more than one day about every 2 years at the most. The 24 hour flue I think its called.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:46 AM

105 posts, read 362,582 times
I am healthy 50 plus person Have never been sick only d days any one time in my life flu one times 3 day flu surprise to my MD ,same goes for my wife, She had 2 healthy babies no problem
We chose not to smoke or only a few drinks a year, Little to know Medical problems, Allergies
So what the big deal we are bout over weigh as most will say 20-50 lb We live a great life ,enjoy life .We had had family friend slim healthy etc drop dead heath attach etc I thinking It noe body busy and beening over weight is all a Lie and stuff to make people hate each other , Bullies people in to a way of thinking. Healthier nut die faster than Over weight people . But who make money sell get slim junk !!We are healther than many and we eat what we want when we want !! I can work 40 plue hr a week and keep up with most and do any 20-30 yr old always have I not hungery and have engery ~with out having to drink it LOLJust my op!!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 AM

Its just not true that a little bit of extra weight is bad for you.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:52 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,089,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Cattnap, a person who lived in a state where there are so many size 2 women, of course a size 8 will come across as "chunky". Most anywhere else a size 8 is considered perfectly normal.

When I was a size 4- 6 ( im 5'6 ) I was living at the gym. 3-4 hours per day and I ate super healthy all the time.It was fun for a while but not the lifestyle I wanted for the rest of my life. I rather be a size 8-10 and enjoy life with moderate exercise and eat what I want in moderation, than obsessing about calories and the perfect body for the rest of my life. Like I said. I have never been sick for more than one day about every 2 years at the most. The 24 hour flue I think its called.
In or out of California I have never been called chunky and if is ridiculous to think that most women in California wear a size 2. Where do you people come up with this stuff? Do you not realize that 5'10" and 140 pounds for a 62 year old woman who works out regularly constitutes a thin frame with modest body fat? Apparently not. I am at my ideal body weight and do not need to lose weight nor do I have "noticeable body fat."

Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 PM

I don't think a size 8 is chunky at all. To me a size 8 is slim. But in some parts of the country...like SoCal the body ideal is very different from most of the country.There are people who are a size 4 with visual body fat too. Unless you are a regular at the gym even size 4's is going to have junk in the trunk. Maybe not as much as someone who is a size 12 but still. Being a size 4 does not mean you are toned. FAR from it.
I am more toned than some of my size 4 friends. Just saying

Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,139,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I know this will never happen but just admit you made a bonehead statement.
If I thought I was wrong, I'd say so....but I don't think my comments were wrong. I do think you're misinterpreting them though, as I said, I'm by no means suggesting that a size 8 is (on average) is "fat". Just that its not lean.

Quote:
When I was a size 4- 6 ( im 5'6 ) I was living at the gym. 3-4 hours per day and I ate super healthy all the time.It was fun for a while but not the lifestyle I wanted for the rest of my life. I rather be a size 8-10 and enjoy life with moderate exercise and eat what I want in moderation, than obsessing about calories and the perfect body for the rest of my life.
You don't need to spend 3~4 hours per day at a gym to be lean, though you do (at least most) need to eat healthy. Going to the gym to maintain a healthy weight, obsessing about calories, etc are all symptoms of a poor diet. Being lean comes naturally when you're eating the right foods. I don't go to gyms, I don't count calories....I just eat (truly) healthy foods and am rather lean. I don't think life is more enjoyable when you're eating junk foods that promote weight gain and poor health, for the most part eating is a matter of habit. Also, most people in California (like the rest of the US) are overweight.

You can't determine your overall health by how often you've become sick over the last few years. Your immune system can be functioning nicely, yet that won't protect you from most non-communicable diseases and that is what most people die from.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,139,558 times
Quote:
Its just not true that a little bit of extra weight is bad for you.
This depends on what you mean by a "little bit of extra weight", if you're still within the normal BMI range for you health than some "extra weight" is unlikely to matter much. But if you're overweight then it is bad for you (that is what most studies show). But how you gain weight is a factor too, for example, those that gain weight primarily in their gut (like me) have higher risks associated with that "extra weight" than people that gain weight more evenly throughout their body.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 PM

5,343 posts, read 6,055,567 times
I did notice that the study was limited to MORTALITY, not MORBIDITY. But, for some reason, the headlines (deliberately?) redefined the outcome of the study. I'm sure the researchers are smacking their heads over that!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:37 AM

525 posts, read 765,004 times
Being overweight is DRAMATICALLY exaggerated as a health risk by the media. Being modestly fatter , especially when you become about 70 and more has BENEFITS. The science does not support the media's nonsense.

But I am talking about pleasingly plump, not severely obese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss