Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,396,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Well, if you say so.....but size 8 isn't particularly small so either one has a lot of muscle mass (i.e., does a lot of body building) or they have some chunk. Regardless, wasn't suggesting that size 8 was "fat" (or even unhealthy) just that its not lean. As such I don't understand size 8 as a goal....especially for someone that is not old.
Yes, let's start using rectal diet suppositories and vomiting to reach that " ideal " weight right?

After all you can't can't be too thin!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 PM

305 posts, read 657,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
"Bone structure" is a minor issue and I made a caveat for someone that was very built. But your average American women of average height isn't built and as such your average size 8 women is a bit chunky.

I really don't care whether you are lean or not, I was making a general comment. Weight considerations are a bit different for seniors vs younger folks. Seniors start to lose muscle mass as they age, etc.

When I say "chunky" I don't mean fat or overweight, I mean they aren't lean and there will be noticeable body fat unless the person is very built which is unusual for women. If you pinch the belly of your typical size 8 women you'll have no trouble finding fat.
That's because you're supposed to find fat there and if you don't next thing you'll feel is probably some lanugo on her body.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:03 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,578,957 times
What I took from this study is that if I'm 5 feet tall and my ideal weight is 110 lbs, then I can go up to 120 lbs or maybe even 125 lbs and still be healthy. However, I can't be 135 lbs (which, unfortunately, is what I weigh right now), and still call myself healthy - at least not unless I'm in denial!

I don't think most people realize: 1) What their ideal weight is supposed to be, and 2) How few pounds you can actually put on before you're over that "slightly overweight" limit.

I'm a size 8 right now, and for me, this is not good. I should be a size 4 (which I would be at 110 lbs) or a size 6 (me at 120 lbs). Oh, and maybe I should add that my size 8 jeans are getting tight.

I've just decided to do something about this, because I'm running out of "fat clothes" and I refuse to buy anything that's bigger than the clothing I have right now! I know what I have to do, but I got lazy, demotivated, etc. Not anymore. I don't want to wake up one morning and be 140 or 145 lbs. It's as simple as that.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 PM

525 posts, read 764,789 times
There is a lot of nonsense in the media and fat scaremongering.

Moderately chubby people actually live LONGER- especially if they are this way in their later years such as 70 and on. You can be a bit chubby. We are not talking about the health risks of somebody 600 pounds here.

Active mildly overweight people seem to live the longest, NOT the skinny people.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:12 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,685,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
In or out of California I have never been called chunky and if is ridiculous to think that most women in California wear a size 2. Where do you people come up with this stuff? Do you not realize that 5'10" and 140 pounds for a 62 year old woman who works out regularly constitutes a thin frame with modest body fat? Apparently not. I am at my ideal body weight and do not need to lose weight nor do I have "noticeable body fat."
When I was around 120 lbs at 6'1, I was a size 9/10. Definitely not chunky, I just have wide hips

Calling someone who is a size 8 chunky is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss