Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,233,999 times

Advertisements

Being obese...was linked to an 18 percent greater risk of death, compared to being normal weight, and being severely obese was linked to a 29 percent greater risk of death.

However, being merely overweight was linked to a 6 percent decreased risk of death compared to a normal weight person, while being slightly obese was linked to a 5 percent lower risk.

Read more: New obesity study adds more questions about the value of BMI | MedCity News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times
I saw this on the news this morning. I am just hoping some people will see this as an excuse not to exercise or eat better.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM

632 posts, read 1,031,504 times
No reason at all NOT to eat right, exercise and improve our health. Lot of lazya$$es are going to see this report and think that being overweight is okay, and/or as with most peoples misperceptions of things and themselves will think "Oh, I am only 35-45 pounds overweight so I am not obese and according to that one report I saw, its not going to affect my health.".

There can be millions of reports on how eating right, exercising, etc can be healthy for you but people ignore them, then one or two ridiculous reports come out saying "Diet Coke is good for you" or "Being slightly fat is healthy" then people (those who are obese) are all over it.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,766,178 times
I read about that as well on another site. It kind of confirms what anthropologists have been saying for quite some time, namely that being a bit overweight is fine. Being slender is not really the natural shape. But I doubt this will keep people from wasting their money on diets and pills supposedly helping them. The slender propaganda is still everywhere as it is a lucrative business.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,660,761 times
So what if some folks who weren't going to eat right and move their bodies anyway use this as one more justification? Surely no one is suggesting that we should manipulate the results to say what we want them to say, to follow the accepted narrative (like so much reporting.)

Old 01-02-2013, 12:21 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,354 times
Interesting to know, but personally I find nothing appealing about being overweight.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,233,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
No reason at all NOT to eat right, exercise and improve our health. Lot of lazya$$es are going to see this report and think that being overweight is okay, and/or as with most peoples misperceptions of things and themselves will think "Oh, I am only 35-45 pounds overweight so I am not obese and according to that one report I saw, its not going to affect my health.".

There can be millions of reports on how eating right, exercising, etc can be healthy for you but people ignore them, then one or two ridiculous reports come out saying "Diet Coke is good for you" or "Being slightly fat is healthy" then people (those who are obese) are all over it.
Nothing wrong with acknowledging scientific facts, even when contrary to our current views.

Perhaps moderate exercise and an extra 10 or 15 lbs is just fine.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 PM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Being Somewhat Overweight Not a Significant Health Risk
However, being in denial about how thin that "somewhat" term really means...
is a significant health risk.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM

756 posts, read 714,938 times
Some good news for the porkers, eh

Prolly a good idea to make sure most of that extra 10 or 15 pounds is in lean muscle mass instead of, say, excess fat around the waist.

Jus' sayin...

Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 PM

19,066 posts, read 27,642,285 times
Well, everyone dies. Axiom.
Question is - do you want to die healthy from quick heart attack at night, or you want to drag yourself and your family into years of slow "dying"? This also goes for aspirin takers (or you want to die with Alzheimer's dementia in nursing home).
So, yes, why things known for eternity have to be a revelation every now and then? Been known forever, that moderation in everything is guarantee to healthy life. Never forget - brain and liver are basically fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss