Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
I've spent many, many months in an inpatient ED treatment facility...I can relate to anxiety associated with weight gain/loss. I have not weighed myself in five years and when/if I ever see a doctor I turn around and don't look at the number because I will get sad if I don't weigh a certain number.
Don't look at the number, lift weights (muscle weight looks good) and don't base your self worth on a stupid number on a scale. So....
Walk
Eat light (protein, fiber, tiny bit of fat, little bit of carbs) 2,200 calories seems excessive to me for weight loss to occur
Lift a little bit of weight with a lot of reps...do a circuit as fast as you can in twenty minutes every day
Do this for a month and then post how you feel.
Well, I do not know your height, but i am 5'11 and I can easily eat 1800-2000 calories to maintain or lose weight. I lost 15lb in one month eating 1800-1900 calories a day.

I do not see how these people eat these 1200-1500 calories diets. I would starve. Also, I hate comparing my weight to these other short or average height woman like everyone is going to be between 120-130lbs. It is annoying as hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Stop worrying about weight loss, per se, and aim for a healthier lifestyle in general.

For example, just make habits out of lifting weights and running every other day. Don't focus on it causing you to lose weight or not lose weight or whatever. Just do it because it's good for you.

Same with throwing out processed foods and eating whole foods only (veggies, whole grains, etc).

Soda? Think of soda the same way you think of cocaine. It's a useless drug that does nothing but hurt you for a moment of enjoyment. I mean, that's exactly what it is.

Stop focusing on the goal so much. The goal shouldn't be a number. The goal should be treating your most precious possession (your body) with the respect it deserves.

You'll be amazed what happens with how you feel and how you look.
you can't put cocaine in the same class as soda....wtf?? cocaine helps you lose weight. it's the charlie sheen diet

Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Start execising. Lift weights. Do squats. Deadlifts. These are NOT exercises for the "experts" or "men" or "bodybuilders", these are basic exercises that EVERYONE who cares about their health/weight/fitness should be doing on a regular basis.

Also, forget what the scale says and forget what the mirror tells you!!! Go by how you FEEL!!! If you do this, I GUARANTEE you that everything else will fall into place.

Again, you need to WORK OUT!!! Living life with no car is not working out. Pulling weeds in the garden is not working out. Going for "brisk" walks is not working out. Join a gym. Take yoga classes. Cardio karate classes. Spin classes. These are all good. Just dont go to Curves and dont bother with "aerobics" videos.

Eliminate your weight loss anxiety by concentrating on how you FEEL and how you are progressing in your workouts - i.e., run 5k one day, take note of the time; next day run that same 5k and try to beat you previous time. Do tabata squats and write down your scores in each round; next day do that same tabata and try to beat your previous time. Not only is this FUN, but its motivating trying to improve yourself each time out. Avoid the scale!!

Thanks for the advice, but actually walking briskly for me slims me down pretty quickly, and I have not worked out yet one it makes me hungrier and throws off my diet and I have started to slim down consisently. Also, living with out car makes me more active. I guarantee you I take more steps per day than most people walking on the treadmill. I prefer the more paleo way of just being active and not "an active couch potato" i.e sweating the morning or evening but sitting the rest of th day.

I walk all day and then do quick burst sprints trying to catch a bus or train for work at least a couple times a week, can't be late to work! lol. So trust me I get my challenges in but naturally, and I want to add dance classes once a week because I love to dance.

I spent all my 20s in the gym became burnt out and never want to go back. I am finding it easier on my body and mind just to eat real food and eat better with some moderate activity like fun stuff dance or hiking to lift the spirit and not worry about weight loss.

I do not want to get into the pattern of oh i have to run 5 miles to burn whatever food to keep this weight. This is what I did in college and it became tiresome and frustrating. I felt like if I did not run 5miles or whatever, I would be fat. I wasted to much of my life and time in the gym and that will never happen again.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
WOMEN! Lift weights! You are doing your bones a WHOLE LOT OF GOOD. And your metabolism.
I might listen to this as my mom is thin and cardio junkie but now has spinal stenosis. The only thing is my mom has a model body and I have a basketball atheltic look, but I do not want this to happen to me, but I will not lift free weights. It makes look unattractive. I will have find some other natural way to strength my body.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The only reason exercise is making you tired is because you are out of shape. You need consistency in your workouts. You are probably doing too much at one time, which is a very common mistake people make. Baby steps and consistency. Make exercise a priority in your life and gradually up your intensity as you get more in shape. I like weighing myself once a week. It keeps me honest and shows real progress, which in turn is great motivation.
The day will come that you will stop worrying once you reach and maintain your goal weight. But it takes commitment and sacrifice to get there. It is not easy, yet it's not hat hard once you get in the groove.
Actually the closer I get to my weight the anxiety goes up. I think can I keep this up and if I gain some weight then I freak out even more feeling like I have to stay on the near perfect course. When I was thin in college if I was over 163 I would flip out, but I am smarter now to know that weight loss is not all black and white. People especially women have fluctuations during times of the month and I had food sensitivies that I did not know back then.

Oh and I am in a groove but I feel like I have to stay in this groove forever.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
I've spent many, many months in an inpatient ED treatment facility...I can relate to anxiety associated with weight gain/loss. I have not weighed myself in five years and when/if I ever see a doctor I turn around and don't look at the number because I will get sad if I don't weigh a certain number.
Don't look at the number, lift weights (muscle weight looks good) and don't base your self worth on a stupid number on a scale. So....
Walk
Eat light (protein, fiber, tiny bit of fat, little bit of carbs) 2,200 calories seems excessive to me for weight loss to occur
Lift a little bit of weight with a lot of reps...do a circuit as fast as you can in twenty minutes every day
Do this for a month and then post how you feel.
What is a circuit. I heard of circuit training.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
Does anyone on here have weight loss anxiety. Currently I have made some changes to lose weight like cook more meals, take my lunch to work, and have cut out sugary drinks.

I feel that is it is working as my pants are looser, but I do not weight myself that often fearing that the number on the scale wont be what I want it to be.

Actually I know it is not right now because there are still some old clothes I can not get into. I feel very anxious that I will not be small enough and according to the weight loss tables I could eat up to 2200 calories and still lose weight as I am tall and muscular.

I be thinking to myself that this cannot be true. I always feel that I would gain weight if I ate that much. I try to stick to 1800-1900.

How does a person not be anxious during the process. I feel like is this really it. You eat better i.e real food, maybe exercise moderately as I am already semi-active (no car) and then you will get to a pernament weight loss results. I do not workout much because it overfatigues me and tends to backfire. Sometimes I feel guilty for not sweating an hour in the gym and then I feel anxious about it like I am going to gain a lot of weight.

I also get jealous of thin people when I see them just eating a brownie and not thinking about it. or not have to feel like I have to eat salad everyday to be thin.

I just want go one day of not worrying about how much a weigh. However, I have it so bad that I will not walk up stairs or walk on inclines as I know it bulks me up and then I weight more, and weights definitely out of the question unless I am lifting something naturally and holding it like a gallon of water or bag of groceries. It gives my body a better look vs weights.
Do you think if you tracked what you were doing and followed a program you would feel less anxious?
Seems like you are off to a good start but are in the "now what" phase of finding more options for food, fitness and maintenance?

BULKING:
If you have fat on you and have not been active you will at first puff up like you said. But if you are eating right and not overeating it deflates and tucks down. Its really weird. Even if your body was athlete lean after working out the muscle swells to a larger size. This is just what happens first as your body builds lean tissue. This will give you an advantage in the long run and make your body less prone to gaining. (leaner bodies have this tendency)

Another thing if you get a little to big at first but are still losing weight, the body takes fat AND some muscle with it.

CALORIES:
How are you counting these calories? Are you taking the food weight? Estimating?
Serving size regulations allow a 30% margin of error in labeling food. Food serving sizes under 5 calories are allowed to be listed as zero. There are different calorie need formulas out there. Lean body mass is the most accurate.

Diet level calories should be based on your current weight and activity level. There is a minimum rule due to getting in all the nutrition you need. You should cut about 500 cals from your maintenance needs for a regular diet.(keeping the minimum rule in mind)

FOOD REACTIONS:
You don't need to live on salads or avoid brownies for the rest of your life. Just learn about nutrition and you can have it all within reason. There are healthy alternatives of the really bad food. Salad is actually the worst for weight loss. You need lean proteins, lots of veggies, whole grains and occasional fruit. You can have a brownie. It just needs to be a healthy version or you need to balance it with the rest of your day's calories and total weekly nutritional intake. Usually if you have a heavy sweet like that its best to avoid sweets for the next couple days and have something healthy instead to balance out the damage.

Easy Super Low Calorie Brownies Recipe – Fudgier than the original – Ridiculously Healthy

Fat-free Low Calorie Chocolate Brownies - Fat-free Brownies - Fat-free Dessert Recipe - Low Calorie Chocolate Brownies - Low Calorie Dessert Recipe

Food tracker site with personalized plan (food, exerecise, progress charts, recipes):
Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 AM

238 posts, read 315,589 times
Quote:
What is a circuit. I heard of circuit training.
It's where you are going around from machine to machine based on a particular time interval, in some sort of order, that works various muscles groups. You want a circuit that, by the end of your routine, you have worked out all groups. Plus, you incorporate some cardio...some circuits require that you do the bike or an elliptical for ten mins before hitting the machines...others such as Curves (which works for me, I've lost 11 lbs so far) have recovery pads between machines, where you can dance/jog in place/do jumping jacks, etc

I love circuit training...

Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefrijole71 View Post
It's where you are going around from machine to machine based on a particular time interval, in some sort of order, that works various muscles groups. You want a circuit that, by the end of your routine, you have worked out all groups. Plus, you incorporate some cardio...some circuits require that you do the bike or an elliptical for ten mins before hitting the machines...others such as Curves (which works for me, I've lost 11 lbs so far) have recovery pads between machines, where you can dance/jog in place/do jumping jacks, etc

I love circuit training...
This sounds pretty good. I actually might try it. I need to work different muscle groups.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 997 times
Quote:
How does a person not be anxious during the process. I feel like is this really it. You eat better i.e real food, maybe exercise moderately as I am already semi-active (no car) and then you will get to a pernament weight loss results. I do not workout much because it overfatigues me and tends to backfire. Sometimes I feel guilty for not sweating an hour in the gym and then I feel anxious about it like I am going to gain a lot of weight.
Forget the gym and weights why not focus on a good brisk walk every day. Make it into a habit. You will get fresh air and you will feel healthier.

Instead of focusing on weight loss have you ever tried just focusing you mind on feeling healthier and adjust your diet to healthier eating and you will lose weight as a consequence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss