Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times

Advertisements

This link was in today's news - why drink at all. If you are trying to get healthy, why drink? Here is the link:

Even Moderate Drinking Linked to Increased Cancer Risk | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 09:14 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
This link was in today's news - why drink at all. If you are trying to get healthy, why drink? Here is the link:

Even Moderate Drinking Linked to Increased Cancer Risk | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine
I read that and it bummed me out. I have a passion for wine and I work in the industry and for me a good bottle of wine is a divine thing to drink. However that article will make me think twice about a glass of wine every night.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I read that and it bummed me out. I have a passion for wine and I work in the industry and for me a good bottle of wine is a divine thing to drink. However that article will make me think twice about a glass of wine every night.
I don't mean to make light of the findings in the article, but everything causes cancer these days doesn't it? The sun, dairy, meat, sex, second hand smoke, even the air...I suppose you could give it all up (well, aside from air) but you still won't live forever.

Wine is a divine thing. I don't really want it every night. But once a week is really quite nice.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
I say pffffffft..... just being alive causes cancer. Just reading all these useless studies causes cancer......

I am going to continue to enjoy my two glasses each night, no apologies!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 AM

178 posts, read 355,287 times
You are right! its much more than losing weight, you should consider the quality of your life first. Life is a precious gift and its in our hand- to destroy it or make it. I have reduced the consumption of beer and red wine from eveyday to once in a week, from 4 to 1 glass. and to drink it slowly to avoid having another glass, is really a good trick.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I don't mean to make light of the findings in the article, but everything causes cancer these days doesn't it? The sun, dairy, meat, sex, second hand smoke, even the air...I suppose you could give it all up (well, aside from air) but you still won't live forever.

Wine is a divine thing. I don't really want it every night. But once a week is really quite nice.
Yep - this is the type of answer I expected - just blow it off. This is what smokers did for years - of course they are mostly dead or use oxygen now.

This weekend my husband and I sat for 3 hours with a man who is dying if stomach cancer - yep, he was a big wine drinker.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Cigarettes and wine are apples and oranges. And the guy dying from stomach cancer I bet did not get it because of wine. Hyperbole like this pointless.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:59 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Yep - this is the type of answer I expected - just blow it off. This is what smokers did for years - of course they are mostly dead or use oxygen now.

This weekend my husband and I sat for 3 hours with a man who is dying if stomach cancer - yep, he was a big wine drinker.
As a former smoker who quit the habit (not easy btw) I most certainly do understand the benefits of completely avoiding some things. But I do not feel that way about wine - in moderation. My guess is (if alcohol is to blame for his cancer) your friend had a more than weekly or 2 drink nightly habit going on but maybe he is just very, very unlucky. Regardless, it's very sad for him and all of his friends and loved ones. Cancer is no fun.

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-18-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss