Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 AM

525 posts, read 762,519 times

Advertisements

Eating and appetite is largely under genetic control and SUBCONSCIOUSLY druiven.

RESTRAINED EATING IS STRONGLY ASSOCIATED WITH ( long term) WEIGHT GAIN. Dr. Linda Bacon Ph .D. Look into her.

The data AGAINST DIETING IS VERY CLEAR. It does NOT work :

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/9/1/30

Obesity is NOT a simple condition of eating too much. This is extremely well established by science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,559,296 times
I have a friend who freely admits that she has no "stop button" when it comes to Doritos, so she only buys the small, snack sized bags. Hey, whatever works!

I've lost four pounds so far in a week. I know it's always easy to lose weight when you first begin trying, and as time goes on, things will be different - but right now I feel encouraged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
You have to be very disciplined to do portion control. Sometimes I am and sometimes not. As Sandy said above, it is easier if you dont get ravenously hungry!! Those are the times I tend to lose it. Also some foods are "trigger foods".... You just like them too much!!! Ice cream is a trigger food for me.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:04 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,102,311 times
If portion control was easy....Americans wouldn't be so overweight. Portion control is only needed when you're eating junk. Skip the junk and eat until you're full....

Old 01-29-2013, 03:33 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,147,558 times
Quote:
Portion control is only needed when you're eating junk.
Not true. I can overeat on anything -- veggies included if they're good.
That's one of the reasons I do overeat -- it tastes good.

And I think of food and eating as an enjoyable treat -- not just fuel for the body machine.
I'm constantly working on re-training my thinking -- food is fuel for the body -- that's it.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,046,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
If portion control was easy....Americans wouldn't be so overweight. Portion control is only needed when you're eating junk. Skip the junk and eat until you're full....

a calorie is a calorie, is a calorie............portion control is important is everything you eat.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Not true. I can overeat on anything -- veggies included if they're good.
That's one of the reasons I do overeat -- it tastes good.
The digestive system doesn't have unlimited capacity, most vegetables are very low calorie and as a result its impossible to overeat them. The only way you're going to overeat vegetables is if you cover them with junk, you know butter, etc. For example you'd have to eat around 65 cups of Broccoli to consume 2,000 calories.

Portion control is only essential when you're eating junk, when your diet is restricted to healthy foods its difficult to over-eat. Also, healthy foods don't elicit an addictive response like junk foods so you break the cycle of addiction as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
a calorie is a calorie, is a calorie............portion control is important is everything you eat.
Yes a calorie is a calorie, but a calorie is just a unit of measure.... Its like saying "an inch is an inch". Food doesn't contain calories instead it contains fats, carbohydrates, etc which the body uses for energy. But fats, carbohydrates and protein are all metabolized differently, even different carbohydrates are metabolized differently. So, no, "calories" aren't created equal; your body responds differently to different sources of energy.

Also, the structure of foods is important too. For example, fiber (when a natural part of food) slows digestion and slows the absorption of carbohydrates which prevents spikes in insulin - a hormone that triggers fat storage. As such eating 2 cookies and a soda (say its 500 calories) will promote weight gain more than eating 500 calories of beans and brown rice.....not to mention diabetes.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:46 PM

890 posts, read 2,281,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Portion control is only essential when you're eating junk, when your diet is restricted to healthy foods its difficult to over-eat. Also, healthy foods don't elicit an addictive response like junk foods so you break the cycle of addiction as well.
I have found this to be so true since I started with paleo. Lean meats and veggies are so much more filling than junk or empty carbs that I am totally satisfied long before I reach the point of overeating. I do make sure to keep an eye on the fruit portions and limit my nut intake, since it's easy to go overboard on those, but as far as measuring/weighing things, I have not found that to be necessary at all.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:09 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,147,558 times
Quote:
The digestive system doesn't have unlimited capacity, most vegetables are very low calorie and as a result its impossible to overeat them.
No, it IS possible to overeat vegetables.
Satiation is only one aspect to overeating. There's how hungry the person was before they started eating, how fast they eat, are the paying attention to satiety signals.

If I PAST SATIETY -- because I just want more of this good tasting food -- I've overeaten.....on veggies or steak -- I'm still stuffed. Overeating vegetables may do less damage calorie-wise, but I'm still stuffed.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,559,296 times
I'm glad this thread is still alive and well!

I'm still on track, but I haven't exercised in the past two days, because I caught a cold. Strange, but this happened last year at this time, too! I was determined to lose weight, and within two weeks I got sick. Is my body trying to tell me that a better diet and exercise make me sick? (I ran this idea past my daughter, and her response was: "Nice try, Mom!" Well, it was worth a shot, right?)

Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
No, it IS possible to overeat vegetables.
Satiation is only one aspect to overeating. There's how hungry the person was before they started eating, how fast they eat, are the paying attention to satiety signals.
In that comment I didn't talk about satiation, instead digestive capacity. Our digestive systems have a limited capacity, most vegetables are so low in calories than its impossible to over-eat them before our systems get "full". You'll just start to puke it up.....

To say it again, you'd have to eat 65 cups (4 gallons worth!) of broccoli to get 2,000 calories. On the other hand it would be easy to eat 2,000 calories worth of beef tenderloin, bread/butter, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss