Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:13 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,040,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'm glad this thread is still alive and well!

I'm still on track, but I haven't exercised in the past two days, because I caught a cold. Strange, but this happened last year at this time, too! I was determined to lose weight, and within two weeks I got sick. Is my body trying to tell me that a better diet and exercise make me sick? (I ran this idea past my daughter, and her response was: "Nice try, Mom!" Well, it was worth a shot, right?)

You've got one smart kid on your hands! LOL

Even though you have a cold you shouldn't stop working out...now, if you head/chest is congested that you can take in a full breath, then maybe tone it down a bit, but don't let a cold keep you down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 AM

525 posts, read 762,005 times
Your appetite is largely regulated by GENETIC factors.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,557,411 times
RickSantos is on my "ignore" list, so whatever he wrote is lost on me.

I'm feeling much better now, so I hope to begin exercising again beginning today (difficult to do that when your head feels like it's about to split open!). I'm more proud of myself for actually going to work all week, cold and all! I get up at 5:30 a.m. every weekday, so dragging myself out of bed wasn't easy.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,806,597 times
Quote:

I'm feeling much better now, so I hope to begin exercising again beginning today (difficult to do that when your head feels like it's about to split open!). I'm more proud of myself for actually going to work all week, cold and all! I get up at 5:30 a.m. every weekday, so dragging myself out of bed wasn't easy.
Good job! On all counts!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 AM

43 posts, read 119,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
In that comment I didn't talk about satiation, instead digestive capacity. Our digestive systems have a limited capacity, most vegetables are so low in calories than its impossible to over-eat them before our systems get "full". You'll just start to puke it up.....

To say it again, you'd have to eat 65 cups (4 gallons worth!) of broccoli to get 2,000 calories. On the other hand it would be easy to eat 2,000 calories worth of beef tenderloin, bread/butter, etc.
This is only really true of non-starchy vegetables. One of the main issues with overeating vegetables is when people consume those with high carb content (potato, turnip, carrots etc).

But I completely agree with your sentiment of leafy vegetables. Having a large (low dressing) salad before every meal is better for satiety and eating less calories over the long run than water or soup.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:44 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,097,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumina View Post
This is only really true of non-starchy vegetables. One of the main issues with overeating vegetables is when people consume those with high carb content (potato, turnip, carrots etc).
Starchy vegetables are only moderate in calories, its pretty hard to over-eat them as well. You'd have to eat around 20 medium sized potatoes to consume 2,000 calories, ~22 cups of carrots or 55 cups of turnips. Its what people typically add to these foods that is the primary problem, add one tablespoon of butter to a medium potato and you've doubled the calories without changing the portion size much. Add sour cream and some cheese as well and you've increased the calories 3~4 times... Of course potatoes usually get fried......that increases the calories 2~3 times.

So technically you may be able to over-eat potatoes, its still pretty hard.

Regardless, portion control is just a byproduct of today's food environment. The foods today have gotten so high in calories due to all the fat, sugar and refined carbohydrates that you can no longer rely on body (as people have done for thousands of years....) to maintain a normal weight.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 AM

43 posts, read 119,942 times
I still disagree with you on the fat vs carbs. I easily overeat on potatoes and starches because they make me uproariously hungry within an hour. But I'm very well versed on portion control because I have an extremely low BMR and can only eat about 1200 calories a day, so I'm more sensitive to it than most people. (Your numbers aren't quite right either, 20 potatoes at 138g each - pretty damn small is 2600 calories).

But you bring up a good point. Flavor matters, and as I have noted before, people often use food as a comfort source or 'feel good' source and end up making bad decisions about what to do to make things taste better.

Last edited by Rumina; 02-02-2013 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: Minor formatting edits.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,097,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumina View Post
I still disagree with you on the fat vs carbs. I easily overeat on potatoes and starches because they make me uproariously hungry within an hour.
I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with, I'm talking about caloric density. Fats have the highest calorie density and as such they are the easiest to over-eat. 1 tablespoon of olive oil has roughly the same amount of calories as one whole potato. So while potatoes may be one of the higher calorie vegetables, they are still dramatically less dense in calories than fats (and sugar too).

You can easily over-eat potatoes if you are preparing them in traditional ways, but if you eat potatoes without adding fats then it becomes difficult to over-eat them because your digestive system has a limited capacity. As for as being "uproariously hungry" after eating starchy foods, that is a sign of a malfunctioning insulin response. That won't happen after the insulin resistance is addressed...(and you can address it by eating a diet of natural whole foods).

As as side note, when you make foods without all the fat they have significantly less calories so getting hungrier sooner from them is perfectly natural. When you start to remove fats, sugars, etc from your diet you have to actually increase your portion sizes because natural foods aren't as dense in calories.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:35 PM

632 posts, read 1,031,397 times
Quote:
Portion control isn't always easy! )
Tell me about it. I just finished off an entire bag of Trader Joes white cheddar popcorn I bought for friends on Superbowl Sunday. MAN, that stuff is good.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,040,448 times
Quote:

Trust me, anything Rick posts is worth losing.

Good for you...take it one day at a time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss