Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 PM

525 posts, read 761,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I agree that BMI is a dumb measure.

However, I disagree with the fact that I should read anything RickSantos says.

Hey Rick, someone told me exercise and diet help people lose weight. What are your thoughts on that?

IT'S WRONG AND NOT SUPPORTED BY THE SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE. PLENTY OF FAT PEOPLE DO JUST THAT.

FURTHERMORE, THE ONES THAT DO LOSE REGAIN AFTER 2 TO 6 YEARS etc. DESPITE MAINITAING their diet and exercise.

SCIENCE HAS NO LONG TERM SOLUTION TO GETTING OBESE EVEN NORMAL WEIGHT, LET ALONE THIN AND KEEPING THEM AT THAT WEIGHT.

FACE. THE. FACTS.

EDUCATE YOURSELF PLEASE :

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/9/1/30

http://danceswithfat.org

Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/2/500.full.pdf

BMI does correlate with body fat percentage, but not perfectly. It varies with age and gender.

There are other studies besides the one above.

BMI is good enough to come up with categories of degrees of obesity. Measuring waist circumference is also useful. The primary reason BMI is used is because it is derived from two easily obtained measurements, making it easy to use in the office. The people for whom it is really inaccurate will flunk the BMI screen but will on further evaluation be found to be normal. The folks who are complaining about BMI are for the most part athletes. The vast majority of folks who are obese by BMI are also obese by determination of body fat percentage. From the study above, BMI and body fat percentage will match about seven or eight times out of ten.

If we stop trying to make BMI something it was never intended to be the controversy vanishes.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:45 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
For the average person being overweight in terms of BMI is a very good indication that you are well....fat.

Honestly though, do we really need an index to tell us whether we're fat? Its pretty obvious if you look in the mirror...though I suppose some are deluded about their weight?

What people call "build" is really about fat and how it distributes itself on your body. Remove the fat and everyone pretty much has the same build, just some mirror differences in bone structure, muscle structure, etc.

Regardless, the "BMI is useless" theme is just part of the effort to legitimize being fat.
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

BMI does correlate with body fat percentage, but not perfectly. It varies with age and gender.

BMI is good enough to come up with categories of degrees of obesity. Measuring waist circumference is also useful. The primary reason BMI is used is because it is derived from two easily obtained measurements, making it easy to use in the office. The people for whom it is really inaccurate will flunk the BMI screen but will on further evaluation be found to be normal. The folks who are complaining about BMI are for the most part athletes. The vast majority of folks who are obese by BMI are also obese by determination of body fat percentage. From the study above, BMI and body fat percentage will match about seven or eight times out of ten.

If we stop trying to make BMI something it was never intended to be the controversy vanishes.
Both are excellent points.

I work out a lot: weightlifting, running and basketball. I also eat a mostly healthy diet. My BMI is 26.5, which puts me in the overweight category. My waist size has also gone from a 34" to 36". I think the BMI is pretty accurate. I should drop at least 10 pounds to get back to a 34" waist and this would be a 25.0 BMI. I think the BMI is pretty accurate.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:

NO, it does not. DR. FRIEDMAN STUDIES THIS DIRECTLY.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:

*NORMAL WEIGHT OBESITY- There PLENTY of this : soft untoned sloppy builds despite appearing "thin"

*DIFFERENT LEAN LOOKS AT THE SAME WEIGHT ( same person is 6' 2' 180 then 212, then 170 , etc. looking DIFERENT at all weights- INCLUDING LOOKING BETTER at a greater weight ( leaner0

BMI DOES NOT MEASURE ADIPOSITY AT ALL. DEXA SCANS DO. BOTTOM LINE

IT IS NOT VALID. THAT IS ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE SAID. IT DOES NOT MEASURE INTRAMUSCLULAR FAT OR BODY FAT DIRECTLY.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Closed for mod review

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss