Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2007, 11:18 AM

65 posts, read 211,436 times

Advertisements

Need to reduce my fat and sugar, but would like a slice or two of bread if I can a day.....but need it to be lowfat/low sugar. Also, I am tired of trying lowfat/lowsugar salad dressings and not liking any of them. I end up throwing them away, what a waste.....Any suggestions on these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 05:05 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Try Nature's Own all natural whole grain breads. While they still have sugar, they do not have high fructose corn syrup, which will make you fat. Bread and grains are good, even if you're dieting, as long as they are whole grain and natural.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:37 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
You may also want to look into the Ezekiel brand of bread. All good ingredients and no sodium to super low sodium. The simpler the ingredients list, the better it will be.

As for salad dressings, try making your own. There aren't too many good tasting one's out there unless you buy the more expensive natural ones. Try Drews, Annie's, and similar.
The mass produced ones like Wishbone, kraft, and others like it are filled with fat, fillers, salt and sugar. Yuck. Some of the natural dressings can have alot of fat, so read labels.

I like making my own dressing. And i usually make my fav tahini and lemon dressing. Just tahini and lemon juice from a lemon. Mix it in a magic bullet type blender where you use the smaller cups to mix with. To me, that is the best tasting ever.
When i want just a little flavor, I use braggs liquid aminos. A few sprays go a long way.

Try these sites for dressing idea's as well:
fatfreevegan.com
fatfree.com

Old 10-22-2007, 07:44 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Make your own, it's bound to be better and you can control what is in it. I like extra virgin olive oil with a hint of balsamic vinegar( the good stuff), a few fresh herbs or even dried ones and good Dijon mustard. I sometimes also add a tiny amount of good local honey ( LOCAL honey produced by bees around your area reduce allergies and things like asthma ) or a drop of lemon juice and some lemon zest. Sometimes even just a good balsamic is enough on fresh leaves.
If you put only a few drops on and mix it with your fingers, it coats every leaf, you get the taste but no way near as many calories as it requires really very little dressing.
I just will never understand why companies put sugar in salad dressings??? I was in the US for a month until last week and I swear there was sugar in the mayonnaise. Mayonnaise is really easy to make yourself but sadly pretty high fat. All you need is vegetable or olive oil, mustard and an egg yolk. No sugar at all required.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:28 AM

I like making the oil and vinegar too.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millipooh View Post
Need to reduce my fat and sugar, but would like a slice or two of bread if I can a day.....but need it to be lowfat/low sugar. Also, I am tired of trying lowfat/lowsugar salad dressings and not liking any of them. I end up throwing them away, what a waste.....Any suggestions on these?
Low fat diets are often higher in carbohydrates. You also need to eat oil with your vegetables in order to digest them better. Unless you are on some special diet, there is nothing wrong with putting Olive Oil on your salads. I use plenty of it. I've stopped eating carbs and most people would consider me very thin. Besides, you need a diet that you can live with.

If you need to have bread everyday, try a whole grain bread. I don't eat bread, but I do enjoy my flax seed cereal with a banana in the morning. I have it with Whole Milk.

Greenie

Old 10-22-2007, 01:28 PM

I don't ever think it's wise to give up a whole food group unless there are allergen concerns. Being thin also doesn't necessarily mean you're healthy. You can be a beanpole and in terrible health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss