Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 02:01 PM

123 posts, read 246,585 times

Advertisements

Sugar in all its many forms is turning us into a nation full of fatsos. Nonfat diets are pushing the addiction as are grocery store chains. Great article about it here: A diabetes epidemic and supermarkets who are pushers for an addictive drug called sugar | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,902,600 times
I think sugar is troublesome for many people.

Do I think it is the only culprit in obesity...nope.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:29 AM

34 posts, read 77,510 times
I think instead of preferring sugar in all the items we can probably replace with sugar sweeteners or honey. Honey is natural and best for health. Or else we can lessen the sugar intake in our foods.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,578,957 times
I love sugar, in most of its many forms. This is why I never told myself I was going to remove all sugar from my diet! I knew I'd be setting myself up for failure. Instead, I've stopped drinking sugary drinks with the exception of my one cup of coffee every morning. (On a side note, I really wanted a Starbucks caramel Frapuccino the other day, but then I looked up the nutritional values. 260 calories without the whipped cream, including 45 grams of sugar - the equivalent of a can of Pepsi! )

While sugar may not be the only culprit, it certainly adds calories, and it's in almost every form of processed food we eat! It's in bread, spaghetti sauce, almost anything canned... If you look at the ingredients as you're grocery shopping, it's very enlightening!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,860,492 times
Sugar in bread is only used to activate the yeast. It's something like - a tablespoon with hot water, for 2 packages of yeast, which yields 4 LOAVES of bread. So you're getting 1/4 tablespoon per loaf, which comes out to around 1/16 of a teaspoon of sugar per slice.

Unless of course you're buying packaged soft loaves of bread from the bread aisle in the supermarket. I don't know WHY they add extra sugar to bread in those packages. But if you're getting it from the bakery section, chances are the sugar in the loaf is negligible. And if you're making your own from scratch, it -is- negligible.

Sugar and starch are really the big smack in the face for weight loss. There are a few different types of carbs, but that combination of carbs is the real culprit. So all the things most people like - muffins, cake, pastries, cookies - those are the dealbreakers right there. Worse than ice cream, worse than cheesecake, bite for bite. Yes the cheesecake has more calories, but it lacks the starch that combines with the sugar to cause the most dietary damage.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:01 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,197,242 times
Quote:
There are a few different types of carbs, but that combination of carbs is the real culprit. So all the things most people like - muffins, cake, pastries, cookies - those are the dealbreakers right there
This would describe me, since I like baked (or, fried, if we are talking about donuts) goods. I try to limit this stuff to breakfast or coffee breaks....or after a long hike.

But I also get sugar from stuff like fruits...apples, bananas, oranges, and so forth, and honey and maple syrup for oatmeal....natural sources....so maybe I need to eat less baked goods.

I figure if I do my own baking I might be able to control the sugar content.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:04 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,009,439 times

Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,086,143 times
I have been off of sugar (other than fruit) for over 10 months now. I no longer crave it....I was truly a sugar addict.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:49 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,445,385 times
I am not a "sugar addict". Sweet things...no. carbs though...bread! Cake! Pasta! I crave it. Cannot have it in the home. One slice of bread is not enough.

I saw a "normal" serving of pasta....1/3 cup cooked! Wow. Forget it. It looked like a baby portion. I cook and eat pasta, it is a huge bowl.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:51 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,086,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am not a "sugar addict". Sweet things...no. carbs though...bread! Cake! Pasta! I crave it. Cannot have it in the home. One slice of bread is not enough.

I saw a "normal" serving of pasta....1/3 cup cooked! Wow. Forget it. It looked like a baby portion. I cook and eat pasta, it is a huge bowl.
But all those things you listed break down very quickly into simple sugars....if you are eating huge potions of pasta, cake and bread....you are very probably a sugar addict. You say you aren't addicted to sugar and then proceed to talk about the foods you eat which are all sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss