Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times

Advertisements

Olive oil may be "healthIER"...but remember, it is 100% fat. It is 120 calories per tablespoon - think about it, even pure sugar is less than 50 calories per tablespoon.

I'm not saying to eat sugar instead - fats help by making you feel fuller than you would, but it's hardly a diet food that you can eat without paying attention...don't fool yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 02:34 AM

11,027 posts, read 5,980,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I agree. Live it up with the olive oil and leave out the white food -- flour, potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, etc...
This.

The speel on sea salt is that life originally evolved in the sea so the balance of salts in sea salt is what our cells require.

My understanding on table salt (sodium chloride) is that it displaces potassium chloride and generally upsets the salt balance (salts being a metal-acid compound). So sea salt should be better for us. It also contains the right level of iodine salts.

Quote:
- fats help by making you feel fuller than you would, but it's hardly a diet food that you can eat without paying attention...don't fool yourself.
My thinking too. Eskimos (or is it Inuits?) who live on seal or whale blubber through the winter know that to eat it in the spring (ie, longer than necessary) makes them get real bad skin.

The difference between consuming fats and sugars is that there is no limit to the amount of sugar one can consume. Try consuming the same calorie value of fats and see how it goes. For starters sugars makes one feel hungry pretty soon after while fats last much longer, being slower to absorb and metabolise. Combine fats and sugars in the right proportions and one can consume a whole tub in one sitting (instead of a proper meal) without feeling sick.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:43 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
This.

The speel on sea salt is that life originally evolved in the sea so the balance of salts in sea salt is what our cells require.

My understanding on table salt (sodium chloride) is that it displaces potassium chloride and generally upsets the salt balance (salts being a metal-acid compound). So sea salt should be better for us. It also contains the right level of iodine salts.

My thinking too. Eskimos (or is it Inuits?) who live on seal or whale blubber through the winter know that to eat it in the spring (ie, longer than necessary) makes them get real bad skin.

The difference between consuming fats and sugars is that there is no limit to the amount of sugar one can consume. Try consuming the same calorie value of fats and see how it goes. For starters sugars makes one feel hungry pretty soon after while fats last much longer, being slower to absorb and metabolise. Combine fats and sugars in the right proportions and one can consume a whole tub in one sitting (instead of a proper meal) without feeling sick.
The Inuits also live an average of 12 years shorter than Canadians. In addition, those who still follow the traditions of their ancestry (many have been mainstreamed into modern society for decades) work in much the same way they have worked traditionally. They hunt with spears, they eat what they kill, they eat most of it raw - not cooked - they live in extreme conditions in igloos which they make for their families. In other words, they are physically taxed on a daily basis in harsh arctic conditions where it makes sense to consume massive calories from fat and protein, because it gets burned off just as quickly as it's consumed.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:06 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
I've been wondering about this.

I do use EVOO quite a bit, as a base for salad dressing (I make my own) and to cook with. Also use canola oil and butter for cooking. But I notice there are a lot of calories in just one tablespoon of these things.

So this could add cals to what looks like a low cal dish (for exampled, doing up a persillade---chopped parsley w butter---for an asparagus dish adds 100 cals for that 1 tablespoon of butter that you melt to make the sauce).

For EVOO it would be similar, using a mix of a cap of EVOO and cap of white wine, a teaspoon of water and a pinch of sugar adds the cals to a fairly low cal vinaigrette dressing.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:00 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I've been wondering about this.

I do use EVOO quite a bit, as a base for salad dressing (I make my own) and to cook with. Also use canola oil and butter for cooking. But I notice there are a lot of calories in just one tablespoon of these things.

So this could add cals to what looks like a low cal dish (for exampled, doing up a persillade---chopped parsley w butter---for an asparagus dish adds 100 cals for that 1 tablespoon of butter that you melt to make the sauce).

For EVOO it would be similar, using a mix of a cap of EVOO and cap of white wine, a teaspoon of water and a pinch of sugar adds the cals to a fairly low cal vinaigrette dressing.
It is a GOOD fat and though it is high in calories, as long as you use it in moderation, it's totally awesome. I understand your worry, because I think about it too, but really, it's a good thing and as long as you're not pouring 1/4 cup into a salad and eating in one sitting, I think you're totally fine. Plus it fills you up way more than a 100 calorie cookie!

Old 04-15-2015, 07:52 PM

380 posts, read 652,625 times
I eat no added oil and tons of whole-wheat pasta and whole-wheat bread, potatoes, brown rice, and corn. Lost 30 lbs. in four months by eradicating oil, meat, and dairy from my diet. I've kept it off for an additional 5 months and am in phenomenal physical and emotional shape.

Oil is calorie-dense, devoid of nutrients, and has no place in my weight-loss program. I saute with water and dip my bread in my pasta sauce.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:31 AM

11 posts, read 8,945 times
Quote:
I haven't looked this up but anti-caking agent has something to do with it, none in sea salt.
anti-caking agent means????

Old 04-16-2015, 03:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
An anti-caking agent is an additive the manufacturer puts inside the packaging of things like shredded cheese, to keep the food from clumping. It's also used in some salts, flour, sugar, egg mixtures, and a bunch of other stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss