Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 10:36 AM

13 posts, read 87,110 times

Advertisements

Check out the book titled: 8 Hour Diet

Old 05-30-2014, 01:39 AM

10 posts, read 13,872 times
Yes, fasting is the great diet and really works but sometime it was really harmful for the body because it decrease the metabolism and energy level of the body. The fasting is not good all the times as it may decrease the blood pressure of the body due to the weakness. I tried it once but it was really harmful for my body.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:57 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinPerez View Post
Yes, fasting is the great diet and really works but sometime it was really harmful for the body because it decrease the metabolism and energy level of the body. The fasting is not good all the times as it may decrease the blood pressure of the body due to the weakness. I tried it once but it was really harmful for my body.
This is completely false.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:57 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
It is not "completely" false. It is sometimes false. It is also sometimes only somewhat false. Fasting is definitely NOT good all the time. Fasting all the time is starvation. If you refrain from eating "all the time" you are starving yourself, and are either anorexic, or some political prisoner protesting against your incarceration.

Hyperbolic cat is hyperbolic.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It is not "completely" false. It is sometimes false. It is also sometimes only somewhat false. Fasting is definitely NOT good all the time. Fasting all the time is starvation. If you refrain from eating "all the time" you are starving yourself, and are either anorexic, or some political prisoner protesting against your incarceration.

Hyperbolic cat is hyperbolic.
obviously fasting 24/7 is not a good idea, that is straight up starvation. I'd hope that everyone understand that and it doesn't need to be said. Intermittent fasting is NOT that.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
obviously fasting 24/7 is not a good idea, that is straight up starvation. I'd hope that everyone understand that and it doesn't need to be said. Intermittent fasting is NOT that.
Edwin Perez DID say it. And you disagreed with him. In the context of your response to his post, you were incorrect.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:00 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,529,453 times
I'm 65 years old and started the 'fasting diet' a few years back, without ever having read about it.

Long story short, I slowly realized at my age, if I ate more than 2 regular meals a day, I'd blow up like a balloon.

I arise at 7 am and drink a cup of coffee. After doing my morning spiritual reading/meditation, I work out (running, yoga, lifting weights) for 1-2 hours, then shower, dress, and sip on a couple of cups of green tea while I do chores, run errands, etc.

I don't eat anything until after 1:00 pm, when I have my first meal. I have a light snack a couple of hours later, then my 2nd meal ca 7:00 pm, and I'm done eating for the day. The meals and snacks combined weigh in at 1100-1400 calories (I track via Fitday).

So by default, I'm "fasting" for about 18-19 hours between meals.
Works for me. My energy level is the highest of my life, I'm happy with my clothes size, and my family doc is in awe of my blood counts and pressure.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm 65 years old and started the 'fasting diet' a few years back, without ever having read about it.

Long story short, I slowly realized at my age, if I ate more than 2 regular meals a day, I'd blow up like a balloon.

I arise at 7 am and drink a cup of coffee. After doing my morning spiritual reading/meditation, I work out (running, yoga, lifting weights) for 1-2 hours, then shower, dress, and sip on a couple of cups of green tea while I do chores, run errands, etc.

I don't eat anything until after 1:00 pm, when I have my first meal. I have a light snack a couple of hours later, then my 2nd meal ca 7:00 pm, and I'm done eating for the day. The meals and snacks combined weigh in at 1100-1400 calories (I track via Fitday).

So by default, I'm "fasting" for about 18-19 hours between meals.
Works for me. My energy level is the highest of my life, I'm happy with my clothes size, and my family doc is in awe of my blood counts and pressure.
So you basically subsist on caffeine from the time you wake up, til you finally succumb to a late lunch at 1PM, stuff up to 1400 calories into a 6-hour window of time, and otherwise refrain from ingesting any food at all for the rest of the 24-hour day.

Do you really think you would blow up like a balloon, if you ate the exact same things you're eating now - but split it over a wider window of time? Are those meals you're eating, somehow gaining calories when they're consumed at 11AM instead of 1PM? How does that work? What's the science in that?

Is it not possible that before you changed to this way of eating, you were simply eating MORE food than you are now?

Also, if your energy level is what it is, with that much caffeine in the morning, that would indicate that it would be significantly lower, without that caffeine. I'd be concerned about that. My concern would be that you are relying on a diuretic stimulant drug (caffeine) to get your energy. Frankly I'm surprised your doctor is "in awe" of your blood counts and pressure, and not "concerned about" your blood counts and pressure.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:20 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,529,453 times
Quote:
So you basically subsist on caffeine from the time you wake up, til you finally succumb to a late lunch at 1PM, stuff up to 1400 calories into a 6-hour window of time, and otherwise refrain from ingesting any food at all for the rest of the 24-hour day.

Do you really think you would blow up like a balloon, if you ate the exact same things you're eating now - but split it over a wider window of time? Are those meals you're eating, somehow gaining calories when they're consumed at 11AM instead of 1PM? How does that work? What's the science in that?

Is it not possible that before you changed to this way of eating, you were simply eating MORE food than you are now?
Prior to age 60, I never had trouble maintaining weight. Then I couldn't keep off those extra several lbs, even at 1200-1400 calories a day (I've been tracking with Fitday for >5 years now) and working out 7-10 hours a week.
I don't like carrying extra weight because it impacts my 10k racing times. A ca BMI 23 works best for me. I'm there and I don't want to drop any more weight so I work to make sure I'm meeting my nutritional needs.

Like I said, I didn't intentionally go on a "fast" way of eating. Like many retirees, I gradually realized that that 2 meals a day are sufficient for my appetite and nutritional needs. Since I'm not hungry in the morning, breakfast is the meal that fell by the wayside. I don't eat until I get hungry, and I don't eat after 7:00 or so because I'm not hungry then.

I was really surprised when I dropped the surplus lbs. I wasn't familiar with the research done on intermittent fasting, and I didn't even know it was what I was doing. I just knew that what I'm doing works for me. ymmv.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Edwin Perez DID say it. And you disagreed with him. In the context of your response to his post, you were incorrect.
No, he didn't. He never mentioned fasting for 24 hours a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss