Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrybishop View Post
Though dieting is most important for weight loss exercise is an added advantage. It increases the pace of weight loss and tones your muscle for better looks. If you are losing weight with diet is good but adding some exercises makes it more reliable.

It also has big time psychological benefits such as stress relief and it produces a greater sense of well being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
There is also a difference in exercise. When I was doing high intensity workouts, I was very hungry. No weight loss. Now, less intensity, same benefits, losing weight. Do not deplete the muscles of glycogen. No need to do things to fatigue at high intensity.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There is also a difference in exercise. When I was doing high intensity workouts, I was very hungry. No weight loss. Now, less intensity, same benefits, losing weight. Do not deplete the muscles of glycogen. No need to do things to fatigue at high intensity.
If the intensity is too low, you might not get into the aerobic zone. It seems difficult to get into the aerobic zone by walking unless you are really power walking (you have to keep your concentration) - in which case it isn't low intensity anymore.

Which is why I've written euphemistically several times: For every five calories you burn, you become six calories hungrier. Exercise itself isn't going to help too much to lose weight unless you're willing to control the calorie intake.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 AM

161 posts, read 297,001 times
Quote:
Most of the time when you are not losing weight doing higher intensity exercise is because you are not eating enough. Your body is slowing its metabolism and holding on to every calorie it can because you are burning much more than you are taking in.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:15 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I have no problem losing weight without exercise but it is easier for me to maintain my weight loss and feel better overall when I exercise. Your friend is losing weight. Be happy for that. Exercise may come later.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:38 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
I thought that both were important for weight loss.

But, I tore three ligaments in my ankle this year, and I still cannot do any high impact or lower body weight bearing exercise. In other words, my exercise routine has been scaled back tremendously (no cardio and upper body weight training only).

I keep my diet clean (no processed foods, plenty of water and green tea), and I have been able to maintain my weight. I even lost several inches.

So, while I thought that exercise was vital for weight maintenance, for me it's mostly diet. And I didn't know that until I literally couldn't work out like I used to.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:20 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
At this point in time, controlling/changing what goes into my mouth may be the lesser of two evils when it comes to choosing a path.

I feel happy and fine when I'm riding my bicycle for whatever reason, but lost interest in other exercises fairly quickly.
I believe it was due to all this talk about having to perpetually up the intensity just to keep things going forward.

Yeah, muscle workouts may make you look good, but when many are doing it strictly for that reason and hogging up the machines/benches in the process, I'm outta there.

So I guess "bike-riding+getting a reasonable resistance training program+cutting out all the good-tasting/pound-packing junk" would be an easier step to follow and maintain.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:57 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If the intensity is too low, you might not get into the aerobic zone. It seems difficult to get into the aerobic zone by walking unless you are really power walking (you have to keep your concentration) - in which case it isn't low intensity anymore.

Which is why I've written euphemistically several times: For every five calories you burn, you become six calories hungrier. Exercise itself isn't going to help too much to lose weight unless you're willing to control the calorie intake.
It depends.

I find that to combat this, strategic eating is in order to satisfy hunger while maintaining a calorie deficit. Oddly enough, lean protein is ineffective and expensive at this. Eating a quantity of fruit & salad with a small portion fattier meat (dark chicken, hamburger meat, steak, lamb, pate) will sate me for quite some time and quite happily. This is quite a feat for this 23 year old man with an established tendency to overeat. My understanding is this:

-Fruit contains a small amount of glucose sugar, a simple carb which "registers" with the body's internal hunger-meter. The water and fibre also add mass/weight to the stomach contents, also contributing to reaching the internal point of "not hungry."
-Vegetables/salad mostly contribute water and fibre.
-Fat in your food is perhaps the most effective way to feel sated over a number of hours. Even a small quantity seems to be a marked improvement over "virtually none." IMO, natural saturated fats such as those in butter, meat, and eggs are grossly underrated, as they tend to fill you extremely quickly.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:56 PM

7 posts, read 8,418 times
It is very necessary to follow a healthy diet and do proper exercise and I suppose one can instead not follow a strict diet but the exercise part is really important.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:11 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
ive always done cardio at very high intensity. i was still losing 2 pounds a week. appetite is mostly psychological(chew gum, drink alot of water, and have small healthy snacks). i keep my heart rate at 170-190 for about 40 minutes when doing cardio. i can't help it, the music i listen to makes me redline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss