Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times

Advertisements

Its really up to the individual. If you like skipping breakfast than by all means skip breakfast. If you need to eat in the morning then eat. The difference in calorie burn will be negligible as long as you watch your calorie consumption throughout the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:14 PM

17,548 posts, read 39,171,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Its really up to the individual. If you like skipping breakfast than by all means skip breakfast. If you need to eat in the morning then eat. The difference in calorie burn will be negligible as long as you watch your calorie consumption throughout the day.
Totally agree. While I can skip breakfast fairly easily, I discovered it was NOT good for my diabetes, so I eat after I get up. However, I can easily fast all day AFTER breakfast and have started doing this one day per week to help with my metabolism and losing weight. This seems to work better for ME than totally skipping the breakfast.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:51 PM

145 posts, read 186,216 times
That's interesting.

Are you overweight, and trying to lose weight?

And is that why you are a diabetic?

This deal with skipping breakfast is that in the morning your body is already burning fat- so you are extending that process.

If you eat breakfast (presumably with a fair amount of carbs) then you STOP the fat-burning process. It will start up again in eight hours after the carbs/glycogen reach a certain level.

But I can see that if you ate a totally fat/protein breakfast, that the fat-burning process would not be interrupted. And if you ate no more calories the rest of the day, you would be ahead of the game.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:25 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,232,007 times
Wow, that's good information. I'm not a breakfast person, especially when I need to be up early and prefer to just have coffee, but most of the time I force myself to eat something because I've heard all the stuff about how breakfast 'kick-starts' your metabolism, hence I thought skipping breakfast slows my metabolism down. Even when I do I can't eat much though, it's something like a yogurt or pastry, I can't do eggs or raw fruit/veg or heaven forbid meat for breakfast, yikes. I do definitely notice that when I don't eat breakfast, I'm not hungry most of the day, whereas when I eat something, I tend to be much hungrier again quicker. Not sure what that says about metabolism, I guess that supports the kick-start theory - if I don't eat my metabolism stays sluggish hence less appetite?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 5,427 times
Mixed feelings -- I think it's fine if it's not a daily habit. My experience has been that I'm more hungry if I skip it...

Old 01-31-2014, 03:04 PM

145 posts, read 186,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Wow, that's good information. I'm not a breakfast person, especially when I need to be up early and prefer to just have coffee, but most of the time I force myself to eat something because I've heard all the stuff about how breakfast 'kick-starts' your metabolism, hence I thought skipping breakfast slows my metabolism down. Even when I do I can't eat much though, it's something like a yogurt or pastry, I can't do eggs or raw fruit/veg or heaven forbid meat for breakfast, yikes. I do definitely notice that when I don't eat breakfast, I'm not hungry most of the day, whereas when I eat something, I tend to be much hungrier again quicker. Not sure what that says about metabolism, I guess that supports the kick-start theory - if I don't eat my metabolism stays sluggish hence less appetite?
Go to the Kindle site of Dr, Hagan's "Breakfast: The least important meal of the day" and read the free first 20-30 pages.

Hagan blames the breakfast food companies for giving bad information to folks about breakfast. Esating breakfast then throws off your hunger "set-points" resulting in long-term obesity.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:10 PM

29,753 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post
Go to the Kindle site of Dr, Hagan's "Breakfast: The least important meal of the day" and read the free first 20-30 pages.

Hagan blames the breakfast food companies for giving bad information to folks about breakfast. Esating breakfast then throws off your hunger "set-points" resulting in long-term obesity.
A self-published e-book on a diet based on a religious sect from a "doctor" with no other biographical internet presence is not somethng I'd trust with unbiased health information. Sorry.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:51 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,993,143 times
It's pretty backwards to think that it's likely that someone is biased because of a lack of affiliations, documented reputation, etc.

Now he might be a kook, I haven't read him. But that's different. If he's self-publishing I would expect that he's at least giving his own honest opinions, however weird you might find them.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:19 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,408,437 times
I didn't start losing weight until I stopped eating breakfast, among other things.
When I did eat breakfast everyday, which would range from a muffin, to a bowl of fruit or oatmeal, I felt sluggish and bloated the rest of the day.
I have more energy and I'm more alert when I don't eat breakfast. I'm not sure why that is. I think I'm a little different, though. You know how the experts to say exercise in the a.m. b/c it'll give you energy but not before bed b/c it'll keep you awake? It's the opposite for me. If I exercise in the a.m., I'm dog tired the rest of the day, whereas, exercising in the evening relaxes me and helps me sleep better. Add to that a warm shower and cup of hot tea with honey and I'm out in 15 minutes.
Throughout my weight loss journey; I've learned to listen to my body and not the "experts". What works for one group of people may not work for others. I think you should try their suggestions to see what works best for you and if it doesn't work, don't do it.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:28 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,232,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I didn't start losing weight until I stopped eating breakfast, among other things.
When I did eat breakfast everyday, which would range from a muffin, to a bowl of fruit or oatmeal, I felt sluggish and bloated the rest of the day.
I have more energy and I'm more alert when I don't eat breakfast. I'm not sure why that is. I think I'm a little different, though. You know how the experts to say exercise in the a.m. b/c it'll give you energy but not before bed b/c it'll keep you awake? It's the opposite for me. If I exercise in the a.m., I'm dog tired the rest of the day, whereas, exercising in the evening relaxes me and helps me sleep better. Add to that a warm shower and cup of hot tea with honey and I'm out in 15 minutes.
Throughout my weight loss journey; I've learned to listen to my body and not the "experts". What works for one group of people may not work for others. I think you should try their suggestions to see what works best for you and if it doesn't work, don't do it.
I'm the same way about exercise. Well to be fair I hate it at any time of the day but doing it in the morning is just inconceivable to me, I barely have the strength to get myself dressed. And I definitely don't have a problem sleeping at any time, after exercise or not

I think people definitely have different internal clocks, early birds versus night owls, and I believe that makes a huge difference and should be considered in any routine. Problem is most of the conventional advice doesn't consider it and goes with the standard American "early bird" day as the basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss