Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
i'm glad it works for some....though i think one could do it on their own for free. aside from the support groups, it all boils down to calorie restriction, no?
All diets boil down to calorie restriction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 AM

[quote=Tristan_Davis;33504357]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No it's not the same. I lost weight on WW and got lazy trying to do it on my own. First of all, they hold you accountable because you get weighed weekly. Many times I wanted a doughnut at work, but resisted because I knew I was getting weighed in 2 days, lol. Also the points system is easier than calories for some reason, it makes you feel like you get more food. The requirement of writing food down (every bite) I found easy to stick with when I was a member, but got lazy with when I stopped going. That was probably the most helpful part of the whole plan for me, and kept me the most accountable.[/QUOTE

WW makes their money because people depend on the program to keep their eating in check. They have no incentive to get you to do it on your own.
You have real knowledge of the program do you? WW is designed to help you make good decisions on your own.
It helps people to eat food in the real world and to learn how to make healthy choices. No food group is restricted, which is a sure sign of future failure.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:13 PM

280 posts, read 421,855 times
[quote=Luckyd609;33510342]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post

You have real knowledge of the program do you? WW is designed to help you make good decisions on your own.
It helps people to eat food in the real world and to learn how to make healthy choices. No food group is restricted, which is a sure sign of future failure.

I do know people who have been on it, and any of those diet programs make billions because people fail them and go back to them. Ask Kirstie Alley who was paid to be on Nutrisystem, lost the weight, and then gained it all back (and then some.) I have no problem with these companies. I just think people could do the same on their own (and save money) , but then some people swear by them, so I'm not judging, just making a comment.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:51 PM

Nutri System is not WW. And most people who have been on WW do not need to go back on it because they already have the tools they have learned.
No matter what way you choose to lose weight be it WW, Nutri System, Paleo, Atkins, whatever, it is going to be hard and most people will fail. That is just the nature of losing weight.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:09 PM

145 posts, read 185,918 times
The conventional way of looking at weight loss will always fail. Diets fail five years out invariably, and when you stop an exercise program, the weight comes back.

The "third leg" of weight loss (gain) that is ignored is the psychological aspects of the perception of hunger, and the individual's response to those signals.

I recommend all those interested in weight loss read the freebie first twenty pages of Dr. Hagan's "Breakfast: The Least Important Meal of the Day" that is on the Kindle web site.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:17 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,426 times
I could never understand how the point system worked, I do have all the old system stuff I'll have to pull out and use that instead , the old way was much easier ...for me anyhow. Lost a lot .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss