Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 01:07 PM

15 posts, read 20,309 times

Advertisements

I've heard that weight loss is 80 percent diet, 20 percent weight loss. I know that exercise is important for cardiovascular, mental health, etc. My question is, is it better to eat fewer calories and work out less? I currently average 1.5 lb/week by sticking to my daily calories and working out 3-4 times a week at low to moderate intensity. I could work out more and at a higher intensity but then would eat more which to me seems like stalling the weight loss. What do you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 01:30 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I would increase the intensity of the workouts and add one 200 calorie snack after the workout...not increase the size of my meals.

How much weight are you looking to lose?

Old 02-12-2014, 01:37 PM

I am looking to lose 15-20 more pounds, already lost 8. If I do a longer workout I get too hungry and then I blow it on calories. There is a debate about which is better ( stricter diet or harder exercise), just wanted to know people's opinions on the matter.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:02 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,936 times
I've even heard the ratio as high as 95% diet and 5% exercise. I would assume it depends on how heavy/frequently a person exercises as well. For me, with bad knees and being about 95 pounds overweigth I assume I'm in the 95/5 range.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:26 PM

280 posts, read 422,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
I've even heard the ratio as high as 95% diet and 5% exercise. I would assume it depends on how heavy/frequently a person exercises as well. For me, with bad knees and being about 95 pounds overweigth I assume I'm in the 95/5 range.
Yep, I agree. Everyone is different. I have knee problems (got knee surgery few years back) and I'll never be a runner. I swim, elliptical 3-4 times a week. People who think you have to exercise intensely to lose weight are just misinformed.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe King View Post
I am looking to lose 15-20 more pounds, already lost 8. If I do a longer workout I get too hungry and then I blow it on calories. There is a debate about which is better ( stricter diet or harder exercise), just wanted to know people's opinions on the matter.
First, and I mean this in the nicest of ways - when you tell yourself repeatedly that you can't work out more because you will eat more - well that is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Having a 200 calorie snack after you work out - it really does help stave off hunger when you eat a nice balance of protein/good carbs after you work out - 4 or 5 almonds or a small spoon of peanut butter and a small apple. A cup of non-fat Greek yogurt with stevia and a little almond or vanilla extract, 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese and a half of a small banana - this will keep your blood sugar where it needs to be and help you be less hungry at your next meal. I would be a little discouraged at the 1 1/2 lb. weight loss....what does your diet consist of? Just trying to help.

I am 63, work out 4 times a week - 90 minute workouts which includes weights, 1 hour on the treadmill and yoga....I finished losing 80 lbs. about a year ago - I am 5'9, 126 lbs, size 4 - so I really do know a bit out how to successfully lose weight and keep it off.

Last edited by Cattknap; 02-12-2014 at 03:00 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 03:13 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe King View Post
An hour before your workout eat some protein and some complex carbs. Soon after your workout eat some more protein in a smaller amount, a little greek yogurt, some walnuts etc... Your meals should include fats to keep you satiated. Stay hydrated with water.
Simple carbs are the enemy and will make you feel hungrier than you really are.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
First, and I mean this in the nicest of ways - when you tell yourself repeatedly that you can't work out more because you will eat more - well that is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Having a 200 calorie snack after you work out - it really does help stave off hunger when you eat a nice balance of protein/good carbs after you work out - 4 or 5 almonds or a small spoon of peanut butter and a small apple. A cup of non-fat Greek yogurt with stevia and a little almond or vanilla extract, 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese and a half of a small banana - this will keep your blood sugar where it needs to be and help you be less hungry at your next meal. I would be a little discouraged at the 1 1/2 lb. weight loss....what does your diet consist of? Just trying to help.

I am 63, work out 4 times a week - 90 minute workouts which includes weights, 1 hour on the treadmill and yoga....I finished losing 80 lbs. about a year ago - I am 5'9, 126 lbs, size 4 - so I really do know a bit out how to successfully lose weight and keep it off.
I'm glad that you were successful in your weight loss goal, that's wonderful. For me, I am THRILLED about losing 1.5 pounds a week. I eat mostly vegetarian, no red meat, no fast food or soda. I anticipate being at goal weight by the end of May and I will be able to keep it off because I'm doing it slow and steady which I think works best for me. I can't work out as much as you, for medical reasons.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:58 PM

280 posts, read 422,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post

Wow, for you to go from overweight to almost underweight (according to BMI), you are an exception to the rule of what most people do...either they gain it all back or they don't come close to maintaining your weight. Please share your tips!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:48 PM

Tristan - I did it completely on my own - I ate a vegan diet for a little over a year and now eat a diet that is mostly vegetarian - plant based plus local organic milk, cottage cheese and Greek yogurt - some cheese occasionally, once a month I have salmon (which of course is not vegetarian).

I was very determined to not only lose weight, but mostly just get healthier - my husband and I both changed our diet at the same time (which was helpful). We gave away a freezer of meat, ice cream, cleaned out our pantry of any junk food, white carbs, overly processed foods, popcorn (too dense in carbs), etc. I learned (not easy) to cook tasty plant based food. I have Celiac disease so no gluten for me. I eat no sugar, no honey, no syrup, I cook with very little oil - occasionally a little coconut oil but mostly I cook with vegetable stock. I eat oatmeal every day (gluten free), low-glycemic fruit, tons of organic veggies, beans, legumes, a green smoothie for dinner at night. I eat lots of nuts daily (pistachios, walnuts, pecans, almonds), seeds (at least 6 different kinds of seeds every day), avocado, homemade peanut butter, gluten free pasta maybe once every 6 weeks, organic tofu, almond milk, greens of every kind available, humus, frozen organic berries, a whole grapefruit daily, organic apple daily. I do eat a lot of food (volume) actually, but I only occasionally eat gluten free bread, corn tortillas (2 per week), 1 or 2 small red potatoes (maybe once every 6 weeks), brown rice (twice a month). That is basically my diet. I use stevia for sweetener on my oatmeal and in my nightly smoothie.

I gave away or sold all of my old clothing (size 12, 14 & 16) and have invested in an entirely new wardrobe, including shoes because I went down 1/2 size in shoes.

Do I ever cheat - yes - but usually just a few corn chips at a party - maybe a deviled egg a couple times a year. Last year I ate a total of two small desserts (Valentine's dinner and a small piece of gluten free cake on my birthday)....honestly those sweets that I once adored don't thrill me like they used to - I'd much rather have some green olives and celery with humus.

So - we truly adopted a completely new way of eating, shopping, cooking, thinking about food. I feel so much better, look better (as does my husband).

By the way, I also have bad knees but I get cortisone injections in them which allows me to do a very fast walk on the treadmill (3.7 mph with steep incline) without pain, I also do hill climbing when the weather is good. Losing weight and getting in shape has actually helped my knees tremendously (I will need knee replacements at some point). I choose to work out intensely because, well, I can and I love having a resting heart rate of 52, blood pressure of 116/74 and for the first time in a long time total cholesterol under 160. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging - I have just worked very hard to make this all happen.

Last edited by Cattknap; 02-12-2014 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss