Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 PM

255 posts, read 403,235 times

Advertisements

I'm 5' 9 195 lbs. I'd like to get down to 165. I feel overweight and sluggish when I'm over 190

I started my "diet" three weeks ago. It's more of a lifestyle change.I'm no longer drinking soda, no longer eating fast food or plates and plates of pasta. I'm doing well as far as food goes but its beer that I'm really craving.

I don't intend to cut out beer completely but I figured for the first few months of my diet I would. Prior to starting the diet I would drink beer once a week.

After a couple weeks I really started craving a beer. Part of it was the taste of a beer but also the social aspect of it. A couple friends asked if I wanted to meet up for a few beers and a few games of pool. I was tempted but said I couldn't.

How do beer drinkers manage to have a few beers now and then and keep to their diet? Is it better to just cut out the beer in the beginning of a weight loss plan and then when I settle into a stable eating lifestyle reward myself with the occasional night out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:48 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,212 times
If you love beer it will do you no good to try and completely cut it out of your life. That is a recipe for failure. Adjust your calories so you can splurge when the craving arises. I do not want to live without wine in my life so I adjust accordingly.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,434,559 times
I had a guy friend that lost a lot of weight...actually tucked his shirt in...
I asked immediately, Wow, what did u do?
He said he started drinking wine instead of beer.

Made quite an impression on me...bec wow did he lose his belly!!!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 PM

255 posts, read 403,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If you love beer it will do you no good to try and completely cut it out of your life. That is a recipe for failure. Adjust your calories so you can splurge when the craving arises. I do not want to live without wine in my life so I adjust accordingly.
Yeah..I think I will eventually. I guess my thinking was that I want to lay off the beer initially so that I can get weight loss results right away and not feel demoralized. Also, a night out drinking beer is usually accompanied by bad food choices at the end of the night.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:44 AM

47 posts, read 56,742 times
Beer Contains lots of fat, It Should be taken carefully. Constant Amount of beer also good. Diet should be simple and nutritious etc.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:35 AM

Well, you say you used to eat and drink soda, plates of pasta
and fast food?
That illimination alone is going to do wonders ...I'd say exercise a bit...there are
8 minute or 25 minute regimens...say, 4 xs a week even....then have your
beer only out with friends...not alone at home....buy cans oor bottles of seltzer,
Club soda....after the first sip, you will be surprised how you forget about beer...that bloat
from the carbonation is a lot!!

Also, a trick is order a beer you don't like...instead of a full bodied micro brew...
order a Miller Lite...you won't want many of those....haha!
But, bring aspirin for the headache...it is so inferior...and wear tighter jeans to the bar, also.
Feeeel how bloated and fat you feel...that'll slow ya down!!!!
Good luck.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndocter View Post
Beer Contains lots of fat, It Should be taken carefully.
Constant Amount of beer also good. Diet should be simple and nutritious etc.
Fat? Don't you mean fat producing carbs?

Here: http://nutrition.about.com/od/hydrat.../p/regbeer.htm

Not trying to prove ya wrong, I was just curious myself...0 Fat in beer...
Only 13 carbs....around 153 calories.
But the big glasses I have I'm sure there is more
of everything. Yikes....

Old 03-28-2014, 10:30 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,212,884 times
switch to hard liquor 6 months out of the year(don't use mixers)

Old 03-28-2014, 08:04 PM

643 posts, read 919,305 times
It's a toughie. Try switching to wine or tequila and lime

Old 03-30-2014, 06:10 PM

26,435 posts, read 46,684,434 times
Beers contain barley malt, a wheat derivative. Read the book "Wheat Belly" and that will give you more answers. The short point is that many people have weight retention issues and bloating that are directly related to a diet that is comprised to eating grains and beverages that contain them. So, if you are drinking an alcoholic beverage I would suggest something other than beer. To lose weight a bit faster, I would cut out all wheat entirely and go gluten free. A modified "paleo" diet would be one to try, one that incorporates fruits, vegetables, and lean meats with little in the way of carbohydrates. I lost 20-30 pounds several years ago without trying, but I had to go gluten free because I found out I did have a severe sensitivity or allergy to wheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss