Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:57 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,120 times

Advertisements

I have found that avocado and greek yogurt help make them more filling. I add cinnamon for the flavor and the blood sugar regulating benefits.

I use bananas a lot for potassium, but try to avoid too much fruit since it turns it into a high sugar drink.

The avocados have enough natural fats to make you feel fuller, and they create a super smooth and silky texture to the drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 01:10 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
Use to make them with low fat yogurt, bananas, straw/blue berries, pineapple, OJ, and sometimes soy protein powder. Not sure it made me healthier but it was a tasty breakfast for driving to work. But I got very hungry once its effects wore off, and had more restroom trips.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:54 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Use to make them with low fat yogurt, bananas, straw/blue berries, pineapple, OJ, and sometimes soy protein powder. Not sure it made me healthier but it was a tasty breakfast for driving to work. But I got very hungry once its effects wore off, and had more restroom trips.
The reason you were hungry is because a little while after you eat/drink that much sugar, you get a drop in blood sugar and an increase in hunger....serious high sugar in your smoothie.

Last edited by Cattknap; 02-20-2014 at 04:39 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 09:50 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
I tried a new combo today and it was delicious.

A large handful of spinach, one banana, half an avocado, about a cup of blueberries and water (enough to cover about half of the ingredients. The avocado makes it very creamy. The banana adds just enough sweetness to make it yummy. This is my new favorite.

I saw this recipe today and plan to try it later. It sounds interesting and yummy:
Fill your blender with 1/2 avocado, pitted and peeled, two tablespoons dark cocoa powder, one medium cold banana, 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt and two tablespoons milk. For a smoothie that's slightly less thick, just add more milk.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Try unskimmed yoghurt or milk. Nonfat is a big fat unhealthy lie.

I don't make them too often but I like using broccoli and coliflower because they blend really well whereas carrots and celery didn't do so well for me.
This.

Get a better blender like the Ninja or the Nutribullet. Those will eat carrots and celery right up.

I like to use carrot and/or apples to sweeten my blended drink rather than sweeteners, but if I have to cheat, I use a dab of 100% maple syrup or organic coconut palm sugar. I also usually use fresh ginger for flavor and add in some form of superfood like goji berries, maca powder, spirulina, acai berry powder, cacao nibs, and the chia seeds and/or flax seeds and/or hemp seeds, nuts, raw protein powder from organic sprouts, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
10-12 blueberries (never more than this)
Quote:
What happens when you accidentally throw in a thirteenth blueberry?
Do you remember the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and the gum-chewing girl?

Last edited by McGowdog; 02-28-2014 at 10:20 AM..

Old 02-28-2014, 09:58 AM

686 posts, read 1,230,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Anyone here drink smoothies that they make at home?

I have been making one with berries, a banana, yogurt, flaxseed (ground), honey, and milk. Today I added some protein powder as well and sometimes I throw in some ice.

I also juice.

When I have the smoothie, it is usually my lunch. I may also have some almonds with it as well.

Wondering if anyone else makes them, and if so, what they put in them.
Please be careful with the amount of sugars in your smoothies. That is waaaaaaay too much sugar even if it is the only thing you have for lunch. If you are interested in any weight loss or health improvement that amount of sugar is not at all good or conducive to a healthy/weight loss inducing diet even if it is your lunch.

Looking at your ingredients I see sugar, a sugar, sugar, flaxseed, sugar, milk.

A really good HEALTHY option that I make is as follows (recently posted on another smoothie thread):

1.5 cups Silk Almond milk or Silk coconut milk (Zico coconut water is another good option here)
10-12 blueberries (never more than this)
cup Kale or broccoli (I switch between these two each time)
cup spinach
Scoop of protein powder
2 teaspoons of black chia seeds

I always have one vitamin C source (one small Cutie orange) with this as the C source helps keep the kale from leeching nutrients from my body during digestion. As told to me by professional sports rehab nutrition expert.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:11 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,146 times

Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 AM

686 posts, read 1,230,756 times
Quote:
That would lead to diabetes, weight gain, water retention, stomach fat, impotence, rise in blood pressure, etc.

LOL. Just kidding, I am just super conscious about eating too much sugar. Blueberries are really just a bit for the antioxidants they contain. I have known a LOT of people ruin their diets (and packed on the poundage) by drinking servings and servings of fruit in their shakes while they were thinking "oh I am getting so healthy".

Green veggie smoothies are totally the best and most healthy way to go. I always "yell" at some of my FB friends when they post things like:

"Im getting healthy, here is a picture of my smoothie, it contains 6 strawberries, yogurt, half cup blueberries, 2 bananas, honey, milk, frozen mixed berries......" Im like you are drinking in one glass more than the daily recommended amount of fruits.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:23 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
That would lead to diabetes, weight gain, water retention, stomach fat, impotence, rise in blood pressure, etc.

LOL. Just kidding, I am just super conscious about eating too much sugar. Blueberries are really just a bit for the antioxidants they contain. I have known a LOT of people ruin their diets (and packed on the poundage) by drinking servings and servings of fruit in their shakes while they were thinking "oh I am getting so healthy".

Green veggie smoothies are totally the best and most healthy way to go. I always "yell" at some of my FB friends when they post things like:

"Im getting healthy, here is a picture of my smoothie, it contains 6 strawberries, yogurt, half cup blueberries, 2 bananas, honey, milk, frozen mixed berries......" Im like you are drinking in one glass more than the daily recommended amount of fruits.
More importantly they are overeating sugar....I agree that your example of what many consider a healthy smoothie is accurate.

I see no benefit to adding almond milk.....water is great in smoothies. I cut very ripe bananas in half and freeze them......they to thicken and chill the smoothie.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:59 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
More importantly they are overeating sugar....I agree that your example of what many consider a healthy smoothie is accurate.

I see no benefit to adding almond milk.....water is great in smoothies. I cut very ripe bananas in half and freeze them......they to thicken and chill the smoothie.
I agree that water helps greatly in making smoothies.

I put around 1/2 cup almond milk and around a cup of water as well into a blender filled with veggies and fruit.

The almond milk provides additional flavor, and the water helps with the blending process.

Also, I do something similar with bananas. I just freeze the entire banana (with peel) when it turns yellow and ripe. I then stock my freezer with these frozen bananas. The skin turns brown on the outside, but the banana inside remains ripe on the inside. Then I defrost the banana for 45 seconds in the microwave, remove the peel, and blend it into my smoothie. At 45 seconds, the banana is still just slightly frozen, but soft enough to blend. It liquifies easily.

I found some good info on making smoothies here:

Incredible Smoothies - Your Green Smoothie Transformation Starts Here

The Ultimate Green Smoothie Guide (Part 1): Your questions answered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss