Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:56 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,861 times

Advertisements

Great article from Chris Kresser:

Why You Should Think Twice About Vegetarian and Vegan Diets

Makes a sound argument and has citations to help support his main points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:28 PM

280 posts, read 422,239 times
I've watched a lot of documentaries that suggest plant based is the way to go. I just can't do it 100 percent. I add in fish, turkey, chicken, etc.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:42 PM

I think his main point is that a balanced diet that includes BOTH plant-based and animal-based foods is more efficient for optimal health. The article seems mostly aimed towards those who choose vegan/vegetarian out of health concerns due to the plethora of misinformation and fears concerning dietary fats and cholesterol and not due to any ethical or religious objections to animal-based foods.

For example, there is a difference between saying you won't eat animal-based foods because you are morally opposed to it and saying you won't eat them because they cause heart disease, cancer, and will clog your arteries. He is just claiming those fears are vastly overplayed and that people who are considering going vegan/vegetarian because of them should take another look.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:44 PM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
I believe:

a) Humans are omnivores; and
b) All things in moderation.

And like omnivores, there are healthy and unhealthy vegetarians. Whether you're healthy or not depends on the individual food choices you make every day, not on whether or not you eat animal products.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:49 PM

582 posts, read 779,515 times
One this to remember B12 is not available in plants. You need to eat meat, bug or synthetic B12 to get it. FYI - the reason it is found in some grain products is due to bugs.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:53 PM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
. FYI - the reason it is found in some grain products is due to bugs.
Appetizing!

Old 02-20-2014, 06:53 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
That seems like an excellent article especially because their study used people who go to health food stores, vegetarians and omnivores both.

I also like how he states that genetic differences enter into whether a person will do well on a certain diet.

I felt good on a macrobiotic diet--for a while. Then I felt weak and tired. That was my fault in a way because the diet called for fish and I just wasn't eating fish--I couldn't even get fresh fish where I lived. No matter how I tried to get enough complete protein I wasn't able to do it without eating fish.
I went back to chicken and turkey and felt better.

Maybe the article is an example of the way the pendulum swings back and forth. Maybe now meat eating will become the so-called healthy thing. It certainly is easier to get your total nutrients that way but does anyone really know for sure what diet is healthiest for which person??

Old 02-21-2014, 08:05 AM

915 posts, read 2,129,889 times
I don't find it excellent at all. What's missing is empathy for the sufferings of animals. Everyone is privileged to turn their back on that and pretend, somehow, that's it's justifiable, but it isn't. Humans are omnivores? That's not a basis for an argument, it's just unverifiable and only partially, and antecdotally true.

Despite our wars and the what is essentially a wrecking of our planet, there is a movement towards more sensitivity to living things. One can chose sides in this issue, but the movement is growing, and many who are hard core will change their views in time. So I'm not condemning what to me are insensitive and outmoded views: they are the prevalent ones at present. I would just suggest that people look at the films of what goes on in factory farms, and think for yourself. Think with your heart.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:08 AM

915 posts, read 2,129,889 times
Is "how you feel" on any particular dieting practice the most important thing? Just your gastronomical pleasure? I would suggest that other issues are in play, ones which you can't circumvent by remarks like "humans are omnivores." This remark does not take into consideration many, many issues that can be remedied by a little bit of learning with respect to purchasing and cooking foods.

After all, the reason humanity is in such dire straights now is because of lack of love and empathy, selfishness in the extreme. One could even call it stupidity (not the persons, but the actions).

Old 02-21-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I don't find it excellent at all. What's missing is empathy for the sufferings of animals. Everyone is privileged to turn their back on that and pretend, somehow, that's it's justifiable, but it isn't.
So when a lion runs down a wildebeast on the plains of Africa, it is not justifiable? When a fish swallows a smaller fish, that is cruel? Where do we draw the line and accept that there are certain realities in life and that survival often involves "harsh" behaviors? Life consumes life. It HAS to be this way.

The answer is to raise animals with respect and dignity, and to appreciate and honor their contributions to our health and survival accordingly.

Quote:
Despite our wars and the what is essentially a wrecking of our planet, there is a movement towards more sensitivity to living things. One can chose sides in this issue, but the movement is growing, and many who are hard core will change their views in time.
Plants are also living things. Yet they are grown, harvested, and consumed without empathy or remorse. Again, where do we draw the line when it comes to sensitivity for living things? Why stop at just animals? What about insects? They have eyes and faces, too, yet many don't hesitate to swat, stomp, or spray poisons on them. Not as cute, I guess. With animals, it is simply much easier to apply anthropomorphism.

Quote:
I would just suggest that people look at the films of what goes on in factory farms, and think for yourself. Think with your heart.
I don't support factory farming. I also don't support any form of animal cruelty or abuse. CAFO operations offend and horrify me deeply. Your point assumes that there is only black or white, that animals cannot be used sustainably and humanely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss