Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:25 PM

9,018 posts, read 13,876,989 times

Advertisements

I am currently on a diet that is low fat,(but not low calorie)
I noticed for the first time ever in my life that my hips and thighs seem to be shrinking first,whereas in the past i always lost my breasts and upper arms/shoulders first.

I took a look in the mirror yesterday and it seems with the weight loss i am becoming a cone shape with a small waist?
My waist is still small in comparison to my hips,but my hips are starting to look smaller than my shoulders.

Not sure why this is happening now,but i wonder if my age has something to do with it.
I am 32.
My hormone levels are normal.

I really do not want to lose the pear shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 12:23 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,247,052 times
I don't know the particulars but I do know that your body stores good fats differently than bad fats, the bad fats being stored in unnattractive places and the good fats in attractive places. I would see this as a sign that your diet it not healthy which makes sense because fat is a good thing to have in your diet and if you replace it with too much carbohydrates those will get stored as fat in the wrong places.

Eat more healthy fats

Old 01-11-2015, 08:56 AM

17,572 posts, read 39,244,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
I don't know the particulars but I do know that your body stores good fats differently than bad fats, the bad fats being stored in unnattractive places and the good fats in attractive places. I would see this as a sign that your diet it not healthy which makes sense because fat is a good thing to have in your diet and if you replace it with too much carbohydrates those will get stored as fat in the wrong places.

Eat more healthy fats
This ^^^. Low fat diet is NOT healthy. Get enough good fat in your diet, avoid the trans fats. Butter, lard, olive and coconut oils, nuts and avocado are all good. Not saying overdo it, but your body needs these. I eat plenty of fat and not only did I lose weight but am maintaining a curvy figure even at 65 y.o.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:26 PM

67 posts, read 169,339 times
Agree with Euro and gypsy...just want to add that besides eating plenty of good fats, make sure to get plenty of high quality protein as well. I have noticed from personal experience that a 'paleo style' diet lets you lose weight in all the right places...and you retain the curvy shape. A high carb low fat diet more likely makes you lose your shape, as well as retain weight in areas like the mid-section of your body...especially if the carbs consist of breads, pasta, and starchy vegetables. High fiber veggies, on the other hand, help retain the curves in all the right places. So...my vote is to go paleo...and maybe add beans to the mix as they have a lot of great fiber.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:28 PM

94 posts, read 160,822 times
In my point view you should not less your diet schedule suddenly but you should focus on your breakfast. To maintain your body shape, you should eat omelet made of egg whites, a white egg, broccoli with refried beans, diced onion, mashrooms and salsa.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:08 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,570,842 times
Yay for olive oil, coconut oil, avocados and walnuts!

Old 01-13-2015, 09:26 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,843,446 times
Your body is going to lose weight where it wants to lose weight. There is nothing you can eat to help you lose weight in certain areas over others. If you are a pear shape that will remain. Get rid of the low fat diet. Watch your caloric intake, but add good fats. Get rid of simple carbs and sugar.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Your body is going to lose weight where it wants to lose weight. There is nothing you can eat to help you lose weight in certain areas over others. If you are a pear shape that will remain. Get rid of the low fat diet. Watch your caloric intake, but add good fats. Get rid of simple carbs and sugar.
I used to think so too...until i noticed i was losing weight in all the wrong places.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This ^^^. Low fat diet is NOT healthy. Get enough good fat in your diet, avoid the trans fats. Butter, lard, olive and coconut oils, nuts and avocado are all good. Not saying overdo it, but your body needs these. I eat plenty of fat and not only did I lose weight but am maintaining a curvy figure even at 65 y.o.
Lard is a good fat?

Old 01-14-2015, 05:17 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,935,665 times
Maybe it's more to do with the way our bodies change with age. When I was in my 20's and lost weight, the weight would come off my arms and chest first, then last (or never) from my hips and stomach. When I started losing weight this time (I'm 36) it came off my hips and legs first. It actually hurt sometimes to sit because I lost the cushion off my butt. But you can build that area up with exercise to get the shape you want.

As far as lard being a good fat, it has less saturated fat than butter, and more of the good fat that's supposed to lower cholesterol. If you use vegetable shortening, switching to lard would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss