Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:30 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,250,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I wonder what really causes heart disease... if it's mostly genetic or what? The same types of builds do tend to get more heart attacks... those apple shaped ones with bigger chins and big stomachs (Jerry Lawyer one example) ... but thinner people can get blockages too (example George W Bush)

All the research I've done so far, comparing maps and the like, suggests that inflammation causes it, but what causes inflammation? High blood pressure, and insulin resistance, which is usually caused by eating too many refined white carbohydrates. Also too much alcohol consumption seems to be a factor as well.

Not all people with diabetes and high blood sugar seem to develop heart problems... insulin resistance seems to be a bigger factor... people who have high fasting insulin levels basically.

I also believe genetics plays a big role as well. Everyone in our family lives long lives regardless of their weight and whether they exercise or not. What specific genes well I don't know and haven't spent that much time researching.
Some may be genetically or environmentally pre-disposed to heart disease, but for many, it is because of diet. It has long been known that a healthy ratio of at least 1:4 (omega-3 : omega-6) is necessary to decrease the risks associated with inflammatory diseases (heart disease, some cancers, etc.). The ideal ratio is 1:1. Current estimates are that the typical American is at 1:20 with some suggesting it is as high as 1:25. This is primarily due to the Industrial Revolution in the U.S. when oils derived from corn, sunflower, safflower, and soybeans became possible. Also, this is roughly when we "turned" away from the sea and began to focus more on agriculture and cattle (fish contain 100% omega-3 and 0% omega-6; soybean oil is roughly 54% omega-6 and 7% omega-3, and; corn oil is roughly 54% omega-6 and 0% omega-3. Safflower and sunflower are 75% and 65% respectively with neither containing any amount of omega-3).

Americans are simply consuming way too much omega-6 and not enough omega-3. Red meat is not really the culprit, it is vegetable oils and grains (that are often used to feed cattle).

EPA and DHA are what is needed to prevent, and in some instances the ability to repair, damage caused by heart disease. These are produced by omega-3s. Omega-6 produces AA, which is what goes on to damage the heart, cause inflammation, and so on. Omega-6 is pro-inflamitory while omega-3 is neutral, but the EPA and DHA go on to counter the effects of AA. In fact, aspirin and other NSAIDs work by blocking the formation of this same AA that is produced by omega-6 fatty acids.

There is more to it, but this is a good starting point for now.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/publication...2004report.pdf

Healthy intakes of n

http://content.onlinejacc.org/articl...576&issueno=10

Polyunsaturated fatty acids in the food chain in the United States

Dietary n-6 and n-3 polyunsaturated fatty ... [Biochem Pharmacol. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

US8845581

I apologize for the choppiness of my post here. Going back and forth between journals is taking too much time and I am out the door. The papers in the above links are good reading on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 11:48 AM

7,145 posts, read 12,681,095 times
IMHO, excellent post by K-Luv above. My reading has led me to the same conclusions. This information has made me much less fat-phobic--- and I've changed my diet to include more avocados, fish, and to supplement with flax oil.

My health is now exellent and arthritis pain has diasappeared.

Another benefit is that weight has stabilzed at a good level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss