Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:39 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Why? It would be better to skip dinner. Your body actually digests and burns many of the calories you eat early in the day. When people load up and carb ridden dinners then go to bed, is when the body doesn't have a chance to burn them, nor digest them as easily, and store them as fat. I typically suggest for most people to have the majority of their carbs in the morning and taper them off throughout the rest of the day.
Just like the old saw:

Break Fast like a king,
Lunch like a prince,
Sup like a pauper.

If you eat dinner at the "traditional nuclear family" dinner time, you'd be eating dinner somewhere between 5PM and 6PM, and be finished eating for the day no later than 7PM.

By the time you wake up at 6AM the next morning, you will have fasted for 11-12 hours (depending on when you finished your supper the night before). If you truly want to wait another two hours because you think it will make ANY kind of difference, then you're still eating at 8, and have plenty of time to get to work by 9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 AM

14 posts, read 22,744 times
What are the possibilities of you being able to fast for 16hrs?
I recently started fasting.

The way it works...
-16hr fast (you can consume up to 40 calories. I do black coffee)
-8hrs to consume all your intake for the day try and keep it healthy lots of protein.

You will drop weight very fast...i have been doing it for 1 and 1/2 months and dropped roughly 20lbs without working out.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:46 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlotia View Post
Hello, Did someone of you heard of weight loss product reductan? Because I heard it was very effective, and I want to use it. If anyone knows more, please give me advice. Thank you.
The best advice is to not fall for the fad diet latest miracle pill pre-made foods program for weight loss.
It is a lifestyle change and you should follow a good healthy dietary plan. Go to Weight Watchers if you need a program to follow. It is a good, solid, long standing program that has great success and teaches you how to eat properly. You eat real food, it is a healthy program and you change the way you eat, move and your entire lifestyle and thought process when it comes to nutrition and exercise.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:11 AM

145 posts, read 185,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Why? It would be better to skip dinner. Your body actually digests and burns many of the calories you eat early in the day. When people load up and carb ridden dinners then go to bed, is when the body doesn't have a chance to burn them, nor digest them as easily, and store them as fat. I typically suggest for most people to have the majority of their carbs in the morning and taper them off throughout the rest of the day.
Wrong.

First of all, skipping dinner would likely mean people couldn't sleep.

People should sleep well.

Whatever carbs you ingest in the evening, by the morning they have all been burned for fuel, and your glycogen levels are low enough for the body to switch-over into the fat-burning mode.

Wake up in the morning- assuming no snacking- and you are burning fats. AND your stomach is empty and sending you signals to that effect.

Skipping breakfast means that the body will continue to burn fats until your first meal of the day- say, at noon.

That is a good thing.

Also, your stomach, not being exposed to an onslaught of volume, will shrink down over the days.

Also, you will be reconditioning your mind to get used to an empty stomach as you go about your morning's activity. After a few days having an empty stomach will not be associated with anxiety and the urge to suddenly eat.

YOU will change. That is what has to happen if someone is to lose weight and keep it off long-term.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelalfonso View Post
What are the possibilities of you being able to fast for 16hrs?
I recently started fasting.

The way it works...
-16hr fast (you can consume up to 40 calories. I do black coffee)
-8hrs to consume all your intake for the day try and keep it healthy lots of protein.

You will drop weight very fast...i have been doing it for 1 and 1/2 months and dropped roughly 20lbs without working out.

Good for you.

Did you read Hagan?

This "protocol" is such an obvious thing, it just shows the power of advertising that people think they have to eat a morning meal. Doesn't matter if it is nutritious or not. The human animal doesn't need one.

How have your stress levels been on the protocol? Sleeping better? What about hunger urges?

Old 04-16-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Just like the old saw:

Break Fast like a king,
Lunch like a prince,
Sup like a pauper.

If you eat dinner at the "traditional nuclear family" dinner time, you'd be eating dinner somewhere between 5PM and 6PM, and be finished eating for the day no later than 7PM.

By the time you wake up at 6AM the next morning, you will have fasted for 11-12 hours (depending on when you finished your supper the night before). If you truly want to wait another two hours because you think it will make ANY kind of difference, then you're still eating at 8, and have plenty of time to get to work by 9.

You miss the point.

The main benefit is not the extended fat-burning period, but the psychological discipline of having to go about your workday in the morning with an empty stomach.

You condition yourself back to a "normal" state.

Your hunger urges will change.

You will become less food-centric.

Your stomach will shrink.

You will lose weight- slowly- and find all sorts of positive changes in your life.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I am already losing weight slowly. I'm also getting fit, have lots of energy, my CBCs and thyroid panel have come back with excellent results, and I just had a bone density scan as a followup for one I had 5 years ago, and it turns out my bones have actually improved in the last five years.

I've done all this, without skipping breakfast. And I don't have to go through any kinds of rituals that force me to not be hungry after 14 hours of not eating. I don't have to "train" myself to do anything special. My stomach doesn't have to shrink, my gluco-whatevers don't need to process anything new, blah blah blah blah blah. There is nothing in your "skip breakfast diet" that I need to do, to achieve what I want to achieve, because I'm already achieving it without your "skip breakfast diet." Furthermore, if I suddenly decided to start skipping breakfast, my blood sugar would probably drop, and I'd have migraines. That's what USED to happen, when I was in college and slept til noon and didn't eat til after noon.

And that really IS the point, which you're failing to notice:

One does not have to skip a meal, in order to lose weight. It just plain isn't necessary. You will lose weight whether you eat breakfast or not, if you eat less than your body is able to burn off in a 24-hour period.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I am already losing weight slowly. I'm also getting fit, have lots of energy, my CBCs and thyroid panel have come back with excellent results, and I just had a bone density scan as a followup for one I had 5 years ago, and it turns out my bones have actually improved in the last five years.

I've done all this, without skipping breakfast. And I don't have to go through any kinds of rituals that force me to not be hungry after 14 hours of not eating. I don't have to "train" myself to do anything special. My stomach doesn't have to shrink, my gluco-whatevers don't need to process anything new, blah blah blah blah blah. There is nothing in your "skip breakfast diet" that I need to do, to achieve what I want to achieve, because I'm already achieving it without your "skip breakfast diet." Furthermore, if I suddenly decided to start skipping breakfast, my blood sugar would probably drop, and I'd have migraines. That's what USED to happen, when I was in college and slept til noon and didn't eat til after noon.

And that really IS the point, which you're failing to notice:

One does not have to skip a meal, in order to lose weight. It just plain isn't necessary. You will lose weight whether you eat breakfast or not, if you eat less than your body is able to burn off in a 24-hour period.

Well, so you are obese, and yet condemn a very rational approach that is supported by all that we know about human physiology and psychology.

That is very sad.

When you reach your ideal weight, THEN you can condemn the morning fast approach.

Not before.

You should say something like "Hm. That sounds reasonable. Maybe I can work that in with what I am already doing and see if it has an effect."

The blood sugar drop is nonsense, by the way.

Ask you doctor about it and see what he says. We'll see how good of a doctor he is.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:54 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post
Wrong.

First of all, skipping dinner would likely mean people couldn't sleep.

People should sleep well.

Whatever carbs you ingest in the evening, by the morning they have all been burned for fuel, and your glycogen levels are low enough for the body to switch-over into the fat-burning mode.

Wake up in the morning- assuming no snacking- and you are burning fats. AND your stomach is empty and sending you signals to that effect.

Skipping breakfast means that the body will continue to burn fats until your first meal of the day- say, at noon.

That is a good thing.

Also, your stomach, not being exposed to an onslaught of volume, will shrink down over the days.

Also, you will be reconditioning your mind to get used to an empty stomach as you go about your morning's activity. After a few days having an empty stomach will not be associated with anxiety and the urge to suddenly eat.

YOU will change. That is what has to happen if someone is to lose weight and keep it off long-term.
You have continually given poor diet advice all over this section. I truly hope that no one listens to your baseless claims backed by nothing and wastes their time doing anything that's entirely not necessary.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:58 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post
When you reach your ideal weight, THEN you can condemn the morning fast approach.

Not before.
Haha, did you seriously post this about another member given all the advice you have given?

Please, post up a picture, you seem to have this building muscle, burning fat thing down. I'd bet $100 that you and I are nowhere even remotely on the same level regarding exercise and nutrition..

Especially after your comment regarding blood sugar, something which you clearly know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss