Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 4,568 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind me adding my two cents. I don't believe that a calorie is a calorie in all instances. The body needs a variety of nutrients to function effectively and I think that is the problem generally with dieting etc is that we don't provide our bodies with all the nutrients it needs which causes stress to the body as it tries to go about it's daily tasks but without the necessary tools (i.e. vits and mins and macronutrients). I really believe that if you provide your body with all the nutrients it needs then it runs smoother and uses all the energy effectively.

For example I had a client that came to me for weight loss a few months ago, I actually increased his calorie intake by about 500 cal per day and he lost weight. I added protein, essential fats, more fiber etc etc and made sure he included a lot of variety. He came back to me last week for help to stabilise his weight.

If you eat 1500 cals of junk v 1500 cals of whole nutrient dense foods they will not have the same effect on your body. Some foods the body needs to struggle to process and also cause problems for various body systems whereas others are sucked up and used by the body instead of turning to fat.

Goodness I am completely blabbing away. Sorry!!! Hope I make at least some sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,669 times
The best advice I can give is for you to begin eating fruits, vegetables, eliminate processed foods, and avoid bread. Also, water should be your drink of choice and processed sugar should be avoided at all costs.

Weight loss doesn't have to be hard but you do have to be disciplined. I don't know exactly what you eat but instead of a hamburger try a turkey burger minus the bread. Instead of soda drink water. Instead of French fries, eat a salad. Swap out bad food choices for healthier food choices and you should see the weight drop off.

Thick To FIT - Home

Old 05-28-2014, 07:58 PM

522 posts, read 695,201 times
I've heard some people go into a medically induced coma to lose weight- and it works quite well!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:47 AM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times
I have a friend who lost some weight. The idea was to eat several small snacks (not junk) or meals throughout the day vs. 3 meals. Eat just enough to satisfy your hunger and then repeat this throughout the day. I had not seen them in over a year and their weight loss was remarkable.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:17 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post
LOL.

So juvenile.

I am concerned with people with real problems with weight who are facing REAL medical problems if they continue on being obese.

No one HAS to be obese, or even overweight.

Good luck with your buffing.

And Hagan does devote a section as to why EVERY weightlifter should lift in the morning- and on an empty stomach. It has to deal with GH, cortisol, and insulin.

So it should interest you.

No one benefits from a morning meal.

Convince me otherwise.
There are some of us that must eat in order to avoid low blood sugar - I am one of those people - as stated before, when I am forced to fast for 14 to 16 hours before a fasting blood test, I will invariably have a blood sugar reading of about 60 which is too low. I need to eat a balanced breakfast each day within 1 hour of rising or I began to feel shaky and unwell.

To state that "no one benefits from a morning meal" - well, that is untrue and even possibly dangerous for some. It is also advice that the vast majority of physicians would not agree with. Just because there is a minority of people (or someone named Hagan) who believe that breakfast isn't good for you does not make their theories true, advisable or even safe. It is a minority opinion not shared by most doctors, nutritionists, medical researchers or the general public.

I lost 80 lbs. and have kept if off for about 2 years - I ate a good sized balanced, low sugar, high fiber breakfast every single morning while losing weight - I still eat a good sized breakfast every single day. I am thin, healthy and full of energy. Despite your warnings, I still intend on eating my breakfast each and every day. Nothing you have said convinces me that I should do otherwise.

Last edited by Cattknap; 05-29-2014 at 12:50 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 02:46 PM

14 posts, read 15,112 times
An absolute GREAT snack and my favorite is have is air-popped popcorn (hence the name). A light dusting of salt and it is wonderful.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I'd never air-pop popcorn. It's tasteless, to me. I prefer mine popped the old fashioned way, in a kettle, with bacon grease instead of oil or canola oil if I don't have any bacon grease. And smothered with melted "lightly salted" butter.

Obviously, my idea of popcorn is not adviseable for anyone trying to lose weight

Old 06-04-2014, 08:35 AM

16 posts, read 16,643 times
DO NOT DIET. First and foremost.

Eat as nutrient dense as possible and honor hunger/ fullness signals- but do NOT diet.

Lift weights- MOST important to preserve lean mass.

Work with your body, Honor it.

Your INDIVIDUAL metabolism, biology and genetics will determine how you look mostly, DESPITE salesmen false promises.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:59 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSneedman View Post
DO NOT DIET. First and foremost.

Eat as nutrient dense as possible and honor hunger/ fullness signals- but do NOT diet.

Lift weights- MOST important to preserve lean mass.

Work with your body, Honor it.

Your INDIVIDUAL metabolism, biology and genetics will determine how you look mostly, DESPITE salesmen false promises.
Hey OP, ignore this troll ^, he's on at least his second account. Except for the advice to lift weights, that's a good idea(make sure to eat enough protein too though). Your individual metabolism will determine how much food you personally have to eat to stay in a energy deficit.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:26 AM

3 posts, read 7,081 times
For me reductan is a very good product for 6 weeks I took 7 kilograms! This is a great success for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss