Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:48 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,276,664 times

Advertisements

Yet another contradictory nutrition study. (Sigh)

America rejoice! Being fat may actually make you healthier | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 08:00 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,507,724 times
Good grief. Balance in all things. There is a whole U shaped curve of sizes. No one size fits all. We have someone at the gym who looks near death from anorexia and some who are 350+ pounds. Where are the "healthy" dividing lines? No one really knows. Best to deal with what you have and let others do the same.

Stop reading all the ridiculous shallow articles.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:57 AM

515 posts, read 1,006,659 times
This is absolutely ridiculous.

"Hey, you're obese. After your heart surgery, you have a better chance of living!"

"Shouldn't I just be healthy and skip the heart surgery in the first place?"

"..."

I mean, how stupid do you have to be to publish something like this?

Quote:
But other studies backed the findings up. Overweight and moderately obese people also had better outcomes with other chronic diseases like kidney failure, advanced cancer, and AIDS.
Compared to what? People underweight? Sure, having energy stores to help survive obviously help. In chronic and genetic disease that affect everyone, regardless of fitness levels, again having energy stores of fat will help. However, it is much healthier to be healthy and avoid a lot of those diseases in the first place!

This seriously is downright ridiculous. "If you're fat, major surgery for heart failure, heart blockage, kidney disease, liver disease will go much better for you!" Or you could avoid those things in the first place by eating healthy and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:23 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,276,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous.

"Hey, you're obese. After your heart surgery, you have a better chance of living!"

"Shouldn't I just be healthy and skip the heart surgery in the first place?"

This seriously is downright ridiculous. "If you're fat, major surgery for heart failure, heart blockage, kidney disease, liver disease will go much better for you!" Or you could avoid those things in the first place by eating healthy and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
My observations are obviously non-scientific but in 70 years, I've rarely seen an obese male over age 80. In fact, the oldest guy geezers I've seen were/are scrawny.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:41 AM

42,016 posts, read 75,434,857 times
Of all the information to take away from this article, try this:

Quote:
He cites two studies, one out of Canada and one conducted by the American Cancer Society, which both say unequivocally that the more you sit no matter your age or weight, the sooner you’ll die.
Now go take a walk around the block.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:50 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,582,948 times
We have become a nation of enablers with this type of nonsense. It is NOT healthier to be fat.

And I am tired of fat and lazy people who try to make their situation everyone else's problem. One of my co-workers is huge, lazy and definitely not healthy (based on the boatload of meds that she takes and the way she huffs and puffs walking a short distance from one part of the building to another.) When our team goes to lunch this woman who is well over 350 lbs NEVER orders anything that has a vegetable in it. If we want to take the stairs up one flight which are right by our offices she will insist upon going out of the way to take the elevator. And she even has the audacity to ask me to give her a ride to her car when she is parked right next to me (ir she wants me to walk to go get my car, pick her up and then drive her back to her car....umm no I refuse to be an enabler )

This type of lazy and self indulgent behavior is repeated over and over all over the country.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:55 AM

^You didn't bother reading the article, did you?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times
I think it's all in the definition. What is fat?

Many think fat is having any fat at all, if someone isn't skeletal, only bone and a little muscle, they're fat.

Of course some body fat has a purpose.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:03 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,582,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
^You didn't bother reading the article, did you?
Nope. I don't click random links. An excerpt in the OP would be nice.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Nope. I don't click random links. An excerpt in the OP would be nice.
Well, if you did, you'd realize that your rant is irrelevant to the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss