Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:02 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
Fortunately, by adding VCO I'm not so I'm good to go. Raises my HDL, raises my T levels (Mrs is happy for this one), and lowers my LDL so definitely not empty.
Coconut oil is almost completely devoid of any nutrients, in other words, empty calories.

The long-term consequences of consuming coconut oil are not known.

Quote:
Now if I ate a blood sugar spiking and tasteless whole grain piece of toast or a bowl of grape nuts with low fat milk to go with my coffee, I would agree with you. Might as well just ingest pure table sugar mixed with a tiny bit of flax seed for the same effect.
Whole grains are packed with nutrients and the only people that are going to experience "blood sugar spikes" by eating whole grains are those who are insulin resistant. Eating table sugar and a bit of flax seed doesn't have, by any means, the same nutritional value as whole grain bread.

But I don't know why you're mentioning whole grains, people don't put whole grains in coffee and coffee isn't a breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 01:07 PM

283 posts, read 385,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Coconut oil is almost completely devoid of any nutrients, in other words, empty calories.

The long-term consequences of consuming coconut oil are not known.
Maybe I'll grow a third hand from VCO? Giimme a break. HDL up, LDL down, T levels up. Definitely not empty calories for my metabolism. It has better effects than a low fat diet with plenty of whole grains had for me from a heart disease prevention standpoint.

Quote:
Whole grains are packed with nutrients and the only people that are going to experience "blood sugar spikes" by eating whole grains are those who are insulin resistant. Eating table sugar and a bit of flax seed doesn't have, by any means, the same nutritional value as whole grain bread.

But I don't know why you're mentioning whole grains, people don't put whole grains in coffee and coffee isn't a breakfast.
Nah, I mean whole grain bread. Same thing as having some Sour Patch Kids and some flax seed nutritionally speaking. Completely empty calories.

Total Fat 0.9 g 1%
Saturated fat 0.2 g 1%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.2 g
Monounsaturated fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 112 mg 4%
Potassium 69 mg 1%
Total Carbohydrate 12 g 4%
Dietary fiber 1.9 g 7%
Sugar 1.6 g
Protein 3.6 g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 3%
Iron 3%
Vitamin D 0%
Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 0%
Magnesium 5%

Old 04-25-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'll grow a third hand from VCO? Giimme a break. HDL up, LDL down, T levels up. Definitely not empty calories for my metabolism.
When you say a food is empty calories it refers to the fact that it contains little to no nutrients and just supplies calories. Coconut oil, like refined sugar, is empty calories. Some people like to put sugar in their coffee as well, but personally I'd avoid putting any empty calories in coffee. At least things like milk, which people often put in their coffee as well, has some nutritional value. But I just drink it black.

Quote:
Nah, I mean whole grain bread. Same thing as having some Sour Patch Kids and some flax seed nutritionally speaking. Completely empty calories.
Not even close to being empty calories, 100% whole grain bread is rather nutritious. Here is the nutritional value of whole wheat flour:

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Wheat flour, whole-grain

It actually has the same nutritional completeness as flax seed so to match the nutritional value of one cup of whole wheat flour you'd have to eat far more than a "tiny bit" of flax meal to meet the nutritional value of whole wheat. If you don't enjoy whole wheat don't eat it, but claiming that its "empty calories" is not accurate. Its a nutritious food. But, again, nobody puts whole wheat in their coffee.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
When you say a food is empty calories it refers to the fact that it contains little to no nutrients and just supplies calories. Coconut oil, like refined sugar, is empty calories. Some people like to put sugar in their coffee as well, but personally I'd avoid putting any empty calories in coffee. At least things like milk, which people often put in their coffee as well, has some nutritional value. But I just drink it black.
I didn't know that sugar raises HDL and lowers LDL while increasing T levels. Interesting. Would like to see the NIH article for that one. Probably is in the same repository as the NIH articles that suggest VCO is bad for you.

Quote:
Not even close to being empty calories, 100% whole grain bread is rather nutritious. Here is the nutritional value of whole wheat flour:

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Wheat flour, whole-grain

It actually has the same nutritional completeness as flax seed so to match the nutritional value of one cup of whole wheat flour you'd have to eat far more than a "tiny bit" of flax meal to meet the nutritional value of whole wheat. If you don't enjoy whole wheat don't eat it, but claiming that its "empty calories" is not accurate. Its a nutritious food. But, again, nobody puts whole wheat in their coffee.
In the end, it's still flour. Flax seed gives you all the fiber without spiking the blood sugar. Might as well get some enjoyment and have a box of Sour Patch Kids with my flax seed.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I didn't know that sugar raises HDL and lowers LDL while increasing T levels. Interesting.
I didn't say anything about sugars effects on cholesterol, rather I said that sugar is another sort of empty calorie that people put in their coffee.

Quote:
In the end, it's still flour. Flax seed gives you all the fiber without spiking the blood sugar. Might as well get some enjoyment and have a box of Sour Patch Kids with my flax seed.
If you think flax meal tastes good, by all means, eat some but I think it tastes like dirty grass and I'd much prefer to eat a nice loaf of whole wheat bread which has the same nutritional value. Sour Patch Kids is just a sugary junk food with no nutritional value. But, okay, I'll stick with the delicious loafs of fresh whole wheat bread and you can eat some Sour Patch kids with a bunch of flax meal.

Back to coffee.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:47 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Never, I don't like to add empty calories to coffee.
Coconut oil isn't empty calories, there are many health benefits, and it's supposed to burn more fat, too. It's not at all sweet, and nothing like sugar nor is it a sugar substitute. http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/surpr...ts-coconut-oil

I have never tried it in coffee though, but mainly as an oil substitute when I make eggs, steaks, etc. Does it make the coffee "oily"?

Old 04-25-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Coconut oil isn't empty calories, there are many health benefits, and it's supposed to burn more fat, too. It's not at all sweet, and nothing like sugar nor is it a sugar substitute. The Surprising Health Benefits of Coconut Oil | The Dr. Oz Show

I have never tried it in coffee though, but mainly as an oil substitute when I make eggs, steaks, etc. Does it make the coffee "oily"?
You will never convince this particular responder who trolled me from another thread discussing the caveats of VCO. To him, the "long-term effects haven't been identified yet". He's also a believer in the antiquated lipid hypothesis (i.e. saturated fat is the devil) from a researcher who had data points all over the place and just booted out the ones that didn't follow the trend line he wanted to observe (e.g. Norway, Holland with high fat and low CVD or Chile with low fat and high CVD). You just roll your eyes at people like this (or politely nod at them in public settings, and go about your business)

Anyway, it looks oily on top but that is easily remedied by blending it with an AeroLatte or Bonjour hand blender. The author would also put grass fed butter into the coffee at times.

How to add Coconut Oil or Butter to your Coffee! Less crash more energy better skin - YouTube

Old 04-25-2014, 05:49 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
You will never convince this particular responder who trolled me from another thread discussing the caveats of VCO. To him, the "long-term effects haven't been identified yet". He's also a believer in the antiquated lipid hypothesis (i.e. saturated fat is the devil) from a researcher who had data points all over the place and just booted out the ones that didn't follow the trend line he wanted to observe (e.g. Norway, Holland with high fat and low CVD or Chile with low fat and high CVD). You just roll your eyes at people like this (or politely nod at them in public settings, and go about your business)

Anyway, it looks oily on top but that is easily remedied by blending it with an AeroLatte or Bonjour hand blender. The author would also put grass fed butter into the coffee at times.

How to add Coconut Oil or Butter to your Coffee! Less crash more energy better skin - YouTube
Thanks, didn't realize the history. I tried it before I read your response, and it did look oily on top, but I just drank it without looking at it anymore and it was fine, lol. After reading your response, I put a hand blender in my Amazon cart, thanks!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks, didn't realize the history. I tried it before I read your response, and it did look oily on top, but I just drank it without looking at it anymore and it was fine, lol. After reading your response, I put a hand blender in my Amazon cart, thanks!
You're welcome (where are my royalties? ). The flaws in the lipid hypothesis are best explained here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4

Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Coconut oil isn't empty calories, there are many health benefits, and it's supposed to burn more fat, too. It's not at all sweet, and nothing like sugar nor is it a sugar substitute.
Coconut oil has no nutritional value, so yes its empty calories. And its like sugar in the sense that they are both empty calories. Personally I'd prefer to put sugar in my coffee than an oil, but I'll skip both because I tend to avoid empty calories in my diet.

There are no confirmed health benefits from consuming coconut oil, just some conflicting short-term studies many of which were refunded by the coconut industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss