Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:16 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times

Advertisements

This is a very, very typical MO for, well Girlies ( guys do it too, probably not as much). Get into smoking-hot shape to snag the guy.....then blimp-out when you have bagged the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 05:04 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
This is a very, very typical MO for, well Girlies ( guys do it too, probably not as much). Get into smoking-hot shape to snag the guy.....then blimp-out when you have bagged the game.
Really? Too bad that according to the NIH, men are more likely to be overweight/obese. Guess all those men were already overweight or they also gained weight right along with their women. But you're right looks only matter for women.

WIN - Statistics

Old 04-27-2014, 06:19 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Really? Too bad that according to the NIH, men are more likely to be overweight/obese. Guess all those men were already overweight or they also gained weight right along with their women. But you're right looks only matter for women.

WIN - Statistics

HUM, maybe reread my previous post......don't think you got the very clear point I was trying to make.

Human instinct dictates how men and women behave.

Men, for the most part, are extremely attracted to hot young chicks.....and women are mainly attracted to guys who have lots of money and stuff. Notice I said MAINLY, not only. So.....a man's looks are many times less important to a woman than his financial position....and vice versa for men.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:46 AM

24 posts, read 29,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applefan1 View Post
I don’t think my GF is trying anymore. Let me start by saying, that I am not some misogynistic chauvinist who believes every women needs to be a 5’10 blonde size 0. I love love love her. I’m just coming from the POV of a concerned BF making observations. We’re 24, 4 years in, and we live together. I’ve noticed since mid Feb she’s been putting on weight. What I’ve observed is she’s gotten a double chin , her hips look wider, and her stomach is bigger, and her jeans and shirts look snugger. To my knowledge no tragedy or awful event has happened in order to cause depression eating. I’m not going to dump her or any jerk move like that. I’m just concerned about how this was brought on. Any thoughts why? I’m really nervous asking because I just know “ Are you calling me fat”? will be her initial response. I think her thought process is “ Well we’re locked in, it’s ok to let myself go. He won’t mind”. While I don’t think every woman needs to me a size 0, I would, if she balloons to 250 or 300, seriously push for her to go on a diet and exercise regime. I have 2 questions
1) am I being reasonable?
2) Is that her mindset “ He won’t care if I put on some weight and get lazy?”

she's 5'7 170(looks it). She never used to snack, but now she snacks daily.
I would use tact when bringing this up. Someone suggested making it a group effort and I think that's a great idea but deal with it before you end up married and she really gives up.

You know her well enough to be able to think of a way to say it without causing a negative reaction hopefully. I say think it through carefully and all the strategies you may need to go about confronting her.

Good luck

Old 05-17-2014, 04:22 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,960,350 times
Are her parents overweight? If you are dealing with genetics and lifestyle issues, they will be hard to overcome. I dated a girl for 3 years that was an avid soccer player with a great body, but her mom and sister were always very overweight. We broke up, and years later, the girl I dated is also overweight now that she doesn't play sports anymore.

I wouldn't bring up the weight issue until you have a plan of action. Encourage your girlfriend to join a gym with you, and make a plan to hold each other accountable. You can do the same thing with a new diet and promote it as "trying to be healthier" instead of "losing weight".

Old 05-17-2014, 05:36 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
I'm guessing the OP doesn't care anymore. Not this time, or the last time he asked under a different name, according to Kim (on page 1, near the bottom - she called him out).

Old 05-22-2014, 11:48 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Are her parents overweight? If you are dealing with genetics and lifestyle issues, they will be hard to overcome. I dated a girl for 3 years that was an avid soccer player with a great body, but her mom and sister were always very overweight. We broke up, and years later, the girl I dated is also overweight now that she doesn't play sports anymore.

I wouldn't bring up the weight issue until you have a plan of action. Encourage your girlfriend to join a gym with you, and make a plan to hold each other accountable. You can do the same thing with a new diet and promote it as "trying to be healthier" instead of "losing weight".
Bad eating habits/poor food choices inherited from an upbringing are far more likely than the absurdly common obesity gene that only expressed itself in the last 30 years of human history.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:17 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,960,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Bad eating habits/poor food choices inherited from an upbringing are far more likely than the absurdly common obesity gene that only expressed itself in the last 30 years of human history.
Yep, but some races/body types are a little more likely to be thicker in some areas. Junk food blended with some genetics is a recipe for disaster. My wife eats whatever she wants, and she never gains weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss