Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:30 PM

155 posts, read 189,373 times

Advertisements

So, I've recently have been relieved of a 4.5 yr relationship. I never thought about how much weight I actually gained throughout these past years, until now . What the H happened!!

I hate exercising, but have just started walking 4 miles a day, working my off (literally, I'm a general contractor), and watching my calorie intake.

This SUCKS!!!! I LOVE food, I like cooking it and getting the awesome compliments from the kiddos. This is so hard, any advice for a newly single mom, with a fat a$$.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 03:59 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
I was there (and am still working on it). My divorce was 4 years ago and I gained a lot of weight over my marriage (I am a stress eater and when my husband started cheating on me and then told me he was gay... I was stressed! I gained it all in those last,worse years).

After the divorce, I did nothing and then two years ago I decided to get back in shape. It's taken a while.

I did a diet program, but you don't have to do one. (I did the weight watchers online--but it's expensive at $18 a month). It's pretty simple just cutting calories and exercising more. It's flexible though as you can still eat foods you like... only less and in moderation. But it was slow. It took two years for me to lose that 40 pounds (but no quick fix is effective as far as I am concerned). I changed my eating habits and even my food likes over that time and grew to like exercise (I hated it too, but found things I like). I am not there yet, I am stuck at the last 12-15 pounds I want to lose right now myself.

What I can say is while it's not easy, it's doable if you stick to it... and the longer you stick to it, the easier it gets. And it's well worth it. you will feel better, look better, and your health will be better. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2014, 04:09 PM

Thank you

Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
I should note, that I was very slow with the weight loss... that's just me and my stubborn body. You might lose faster. Seems like most lose faster than me.

I'd say the rough part is the first 6-8 weeks...don't let it get you down. It's kind of like weight loss boot camp. But after that, a lot of things become habit. Although the nice thing is you generally lose a lot in the first few weeks so it seems to pay off. It will slow down after that, but don't worry, you are still losing weight. And if you do slip up and such, it's okay tomorrow is another day (just try not to have too many other days)

Old 05-04-2014, 09:15 AM

It's really weird for me though. I normally, when depressed, lose all cravings for any food. I've gone several days without eating in the past due to depression. This time however, is very different. I'm not depressed about it. We broke up, woot woot!! Go on with my normal life without the drama, I WIN!

Look into the mirror, and say WTH!! Ughhh I need the depression....... but very happy I'm not. Very happy to be moving on, very unhappy with my butt

Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
Loving food doesn´t mean you can´t lose weight. Just start by using healthier products/ingredients. As much fresh and whole as possible and as little processed and refined as possible. Exercise has nothing to do with it.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:09 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
I love food and I'm sitting at around 12% bodyfat. I pack on fat really easily to, so it's not like I'm one of those freaks who can down 4k calories a day and not get fat.

The key is moderation, it really is. Count all calories you eat, and be very anal about it the first few weeks. You have to be firmly in line with reality when it comes to judging caloric intake, most people underestimate how much they're eating.

Losing weight is so simple it's almost too simple(we like to make things complicated), just stop eating too much food. It's a exercise in patience more then anything else.

Looking a level above that, you may be a touch insulin resistant, so it could be good for you to limit carb intake for a few weeks.

The only thing I've pretty much given up entirely is soda and candy. They are just so useless nutritionally and are so calorically dense, and once you go awhile without them you lose desire for them.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:52 AM

OHHH NOOOOO, Not the Dr Pepper

Old 05-05-2014, 10:16 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Aunt 936 View Post
OHHH NOOOOO, Not the Dr Pepper
haha, well you can limit your intake and still lose weight, don't have to cut it out completely, permanently. Drink a 12 oz can every other day or something, basically drink as little as possible.

An example of how detrimental soda can be to losing weight:

Say you eat 1500 calories worth of food in a day(not that much), but you have 3 12 oz cans of the doctor as well. At around 150 calories a can, you've now taken in 1950 calories. The day just became a write off at best, at worst you've actually gone a bit over what your body needs.

On the flip side, if you are drinking 3 cans a day currently, and you cut them out, you automatically just created a 450 calorie a day deficit. 450x7=3150 calories. A pound of fat is more or less 3500 calories.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:21 AM

I drink more than 5 a day I'm addicted to my Dr.

My heart is completely broken ------ And I thought the break up was bad, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss