Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,816,974 times

Advertisements

I posted about being stuck on the last few stubborn pounds of weight loss... and how I am cutting calories more, exercising more and getting nowhere. I got a lot of good advice--which I've been following. It's too early to tell if it will help or not, but I have hope.

Last night (again) I went to bed early, woke up late, and am just exhausted today. Last night I had barely any energy to work out, although I did (I did half a "normal" workout). Then I remembered something (a lot of somethings). Anemia runs in my family and something about my blood iron levels caused my OB/GYN to prescribe me iron supplements when I was pregnant years ago. I also have other symptoms of anemia including the way my finger nails are and I get especially weak and tired once a month. So family history, myself having iron issues, and symptoms... it kind of adds up.

It dawned on me that maybe I am becoming anemic too! Of course, I need to go to a doctor (and I will at my yearly check-up), but in the meantime I bought iron supplements to take (I don't eat a lot of red meat--although I eat moderate amounts of greens that are iron rich... but maybe not enough). I did some reading and anemia is thought to slow the metabolism and reduce weight loss (as well as make people feel to tired to exercise). I figure it's worth a shot (and worth mentioning) just in case anyone else can benefit from this. Wish me luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 02:44 PM

993 posts, read 1,564,341 times
I would wait to take the iron supplements until after your doctor requests a blood test. I know your eager to move forward, and it is very likely that you're anemic (most women are), but taking too much iron is dangerous. Wait until it's confirmed that the supplements are necessary, just to be on the safe side.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:25 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,078,465 times
While I don't believe that "most women are anemic", I do agree that to take iron without a blood test and recommendation from your doctor - well this would be unwise. There are many things that can cause fatigue. Also, simply eating a diet that daily includes iron-rich foods is preferable to taking an iron supplement. The body metabolizes natural sources of vitamins (food) to a greater degree than through supplementation.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
While I don't believe that "most women are anemic"...
"Most" might have been an overstatement, but women most definitely are at a high risk for it. Menstruation is partly to blame.

Anemia fact sheet | womenshealth.gov

Old 05-13-2014, 08:53 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,078,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
"Most" might have been an overstatement, but women most definitely are at a high risk for it. Menstruation is partly to blame.

Anemia fact sheet | womenshealth.gov
Just not true....women are not at a "high risk" for anemia unless they are deficient because of diet or have underlying health issues...menstruation is not a health issue, it is natural and normal and should not in and of itself cause anemia. Your doctor will confirm this.

Last edited by Cattknap; 05-13-2014 at 09:05 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 09:55 PM

22,681 posts, read 24,685,004 times
Nutrition for Everyone: Basics: Iron and Iron Deficiency | DNPAO | CDC

Iron deficiency is a condition resulting from too little iron in the body. Iron deficiency is the most common nutritional deficiency and the leading cause of anemia in the United States

Old 05-14-2014, 06:43 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,816,974 times
Thanks everyone. I will see a doctor eventually. But having a family history of this and having been diagnosed once myself (although during pregnancy) and the fix always having been "take iron supplements," I think I will be fine until my yearly checkup. I've been taking iron supplements for a few days now and am starting to feel better... less exhausted in general and more energy when working out. When I was pregnant and diagnosed, I remember how much better I felt taking iron and it's literally the same feeling.

I do eat iron rich foods, but they only get me so far and there are only so many I can eat and still lose weight (and I need other foods too). I think what it is, is that I just don't tend to eat a lot of meat (just not my thing) and the iron rich plant foods aren't the same (they aren't as easy for the human body to absorb).

By the way, heavy and long menstruation can cause iron loss. It's pretty much mentioned in every article about anemia one can find. That's one reason they speculate more women are anemic than men.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Just not true....women are not at a "high risk" for anemia unless they are deficient because of diet or have underlying health issues...menstruation is not a health issue, it is natural and normal and should not in and of itself cause anemia. Your doctor will confirm this.
Did you even read the link? My doctors have confirmed what I wrote. In fact, that's where I originally got the information. I just figured it would be more useful to give you a link to a trustworthy website than to give you the number of my gynecologist, general practitioner, and others as proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
By the way, heavy and long menstruation can cause iron loss. It's pretty much mentioned in every article about anemia one can find. That's one reason they speculate more women are anemic than men.
Exactly. It has nothing to do with menstruation being a "health issue," it's just simply part of the process.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,844,260 times
Iron loss isn't the same thing as anemia. If you have healthy iron level, and you get your period, it might dip a bit. But it might still be within the normal range. That's not anemia, even though it is iron loss. My iron levels are (and always have been) on the low side, but I don't have anemia. I don't have to take iron supplements. When I get my period, the iron level dips a little, and it's right back to what it was, usually within 48 hours. I don't even get my period every month anymore because I'm going through menopause. By the time I got halfway through a bottle of iron supplements, the bottle would be expired and I'd have to throw the rest away. There are more interesting things in life for me to waste my money on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss