Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:01 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if it would be better to juice or make smoothies. I would think blending would make a person feel fuller when trying to loose weight. Any results, opinions, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Recipes would be nice also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 09:16 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
I do both. Here's one of my favorite pick-me-ups, or even quick lunches:

Blend together:

Frozen berries, nuts or nut butter, a vegan protein powder, a cup of kale, and water. Tasty and filling.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If losing weight is your objective i would alternate with a juice or a smoothie as a meal replacement everyday keeping the vegetable to fruit ratio to 80%/20% .Lunch is usually the most convenient meal to replace.this also has to be accompanied with a healthy diet and not the one that put the weight on in the first place,
Diets are a mixed bag and they all have their detractors and cheer leaders so the best plan is to eat in moderation healthy foods coupled with an active lifestyle.
Juice and blender recipes can be had in abundance from Google,adding the word "pinterest" to your search phrase will bring up ideas by the thousands

Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
I think blending is better because the fiber is good and I'd say you get more benefit from it.

People like that Gerson lady would have you juicing and doing coffee enemas to kick cancer. Sounds like snake oil to me.

I don't use my "Blended Nutritious Beverages" as a stand alone meal. I drink them with my meal, which consists of about 50% salad, 25% quality protein, and 25% other stuff like fruit legumes or other starchy carb or nuts and healthy fat. So I use the drink to kick up my leafy green intake and to help me manage all the veggies and fruit (80/20 ratio as was suggested) I've got in the fridge.

It's helped me lose weight, increase my health with regards to blood pressure, pulse, stamina, sex drive, mental health, attitude, willingness to do additional exercise, drive to prepare my own food and to avoid processed food and fast/junk food, etc.

Notice I didn't use the word "smoothie". The Ninja does not make a smoothie. Like the Nutribullet, they make a nutritious beverage.

They clean up in seconds too.

Last edited by McGowdog; 05-26-2014 at 10:31 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 08:32 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
blend it adds the fiber. Drinking straight juice can be a very big surge of sugar. IT takes tons of veggies and fruit also when you juice, where as blending you don't need as many to get the meal.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I think blending is better because the fiber is good and I'd say you get more benefit from it.

People like that Gerson lady would have you juicing and doing coffee enemas to kick cancer. Sounds like snake oil to me.

I don't use my "Blended Nutritious Beverages" as a stand alone meal. I drink them with my meal, which consists of about 50% salad, 25% quality protein, and 25% other stuff like fruit legumes or other starchy carb or nuts and healthy fat. So I use the drink to kick up my leafy green intake and to help me manage all the veggies and fruit (80/20 ratio as was suggested) I've got in the fridge.

It's helped me lose weight, increase my health with regards to blood pressure, pulse, stamina, sex drive, mental health, attitude, willingness to do additional exercise, drive to prepare my own food and to avoid processed food and fast/junk food, etc.

Notice I didn't use the word "smoothie". The Ninja does not make a smoothie. Like the Nutribullet, they make a nutritious beverage.

They clean up in seconds too.
Curious why you don't use the word "smoothie"?

As to the OP, I would also suggest blending to LOSE weight.

RECIPE:
1 1/2 cups spinach
1/2 cucumber
1 cup almond milk
1 banana
1/2 cup pineapple
Blend. Enjoy.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:58 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
I would opt for blending over juicing, definitely. It will help keep you feeling full longer and consuming the whole fruit/vegetable helps prevent blood sugar spikes. I agree with the others who said to blend a combination of 80% vegetables and 20% fruit. I usually add 1 tbsp flax seeds and 1 scoop of protein powder to my drinks when they are meal replacements.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:58 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Curious why you don't use the word "smoothie"?
Because they are not a smoothie, mainly.

Blenders nowadays, such as my 1600 watt Ninja, or the 600 watt Nutribullet, or the Vitamix (too pricey for my liking) can liquefy carrots, kale, etc like it wuz butta.

The "smoothie" entails blending a bunch of berries, maybe a banana etc, and doesn't even do that very well... like the Magic Bullet or your common blender, or the Nu Wave.

Someone recommended flaxseed, I use that or chia seed, ginger, cacao, acai, etc to bump up the nutrients.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:30 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
I was wondering if it would be better to juice or make smoothies.
If it would be "better" for what? What are your goals? What are you trying to accomplish?

I personally prefer to blend instead of juice. But be very very very careful that you don't fall in to the pit of what many people do who juice/blend/make smoothies - drinking waaaaaaaaay too much sugar. Also, be careful if you make shakes to go WITH your dinner because you could end up piling on some serious poundage.

For me, a good shake (hate the word smoothie because it conjures images of sweet desserts which is what needs to be avoided) is something that can be drank as a stand alone meal, or in most of my cases, a post workout drink.

My favorite:

1-2 cups unsweetened Silk almond milk or Silk coconut milk
1 cup kale
1 cup spinach
2 strawberries OR 8-10 blueberries or half banana
scoop of whey protein powder
teaspoon of chia seeds
teaspoon of raw unsweetened crunchy almond butter

This is great for a post workout drink, or even a breakfast. This is NOT something to be taken along with a meal, especially for someone who isn't working out at a very high pace/intensity level because you can easily start to GAIN weight.

Notice how my drink is very very very light on the fruit (i.e., sugar)? Too much sugar is almost always the fatal downfall and mistake people make when they get into juicing and making shakes. You cannot drink 4-5 servings of fruit and expect to be healthy or have weight loss. Especially if its like several strawberries, a banana, some blueberries, some fruit juice, etc. all mixed in. BE CAREFUL OF DRINKING TOO MUCH SUGAR.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:00 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
King Gambit,

My goal is to loose weight.

Now with that said, I'm looking for blends, (smoothies, shakes, or whatever the proper term is) as a meal replacement that is balanced and will burn weight. Currently I'm preparing a fruit blend for breakfast, salad for lunch, usually made with spinach and baby kale, and a scramble made with sauteed garlic, onions,asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, and kale. For snacks I eat carrots and celery. Beverage is either green tea or water. I've been eating eggs to get protein into my diet. I do get adequate physical activity, usually 2-4 hours a day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is new to me and I'm open to any and all ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss