Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:08 AM

9,859 posts, read 7,732,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I am 55 and have lost about 27 lbs since December, but it was really hard. I was doing some pretty extreme low carbing with daily exercise, and it was still barely moving. So, I'd say the key word for older folks is patience. Lots and lots of patience.

I think that the reason for me is not so much age as it was a blood sugar/insulin problem and it takes awhile to turn that around. I hit a plateau for several mo and started doing the apple cider vinegar in water 2x/day and suddenly dropped 4 lbs.
I'm your age and eat very healthy, but if I don't exercise an hour a day, the weight starts coming right back. I need to exercise 2 hours a day in order to actually lose.

What is the apple cider vinegar deal?

I love salads, but I have to be so careful with the salad dressing or I'll gain weight on salads. What is everyone's recommendations for dressings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:50 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The solution is to stop overeating - not to stop eating. Stop eating TOO MUCH of things. Not stop eating any at all. They have to learn what constitutes "too much" and how to differentiate it with "enough," and stick with it. There exists no food that anyone should have to eliminate entirely, unless they have a medical reason to eliminate that specific thing. For everyone else, the key is knowing ones' limits and sticking with them.
Cannot agree more. There is no magic involved, just simple math and eliminating foods entirely can cause people to binge later on. It's easy to say, I'm overweight because I drink soda, when infact you are overweight because your consuming too many calories in general. Whether you down a coke or a glass of milk, It needs to be figured into your daily calorie allotment. That may mean walking for an hour to burn it off or go light on breakfast to fit it in. We have access to higher calorie foods now than our ancestors did, so we need to eat them sparingly.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:28 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I haven't read all the responses, so sorry if this is redundant.

What has worked for me is the combination of wearing a FitBit
http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireles...9ZPF2AFH54AZZG

along with inputting everything I eat, via My Fitness Pal (a free app/website).
Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

The FitBit & MFP "talk" to each other, so that at any time of the day, I can see my calories in vs calories spent. As long as I keep my calories at approximately negative 700 per day, I'm losing my goal of 1 1/2 pounds per week.

However you do it (and it does take effort and discipline) it all comes down to calories in/calories out. No way around that.
I do something like that except I use All Things Food and Diet - FatSecret. Not sure what my specific calorie req is per day (around 1200) and its amazing how much i can eat and it barely registers. Now im talking healthy foods not ice cream and cheeseburgers.

Now if only my morning hot flashes would actually burn calories....

Old 06-06-2014, 10:35 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I'm your age and eat very healthy, but if I don't exercise an hour a day, the weight starts coming right back. I need to exercise 2 hours a day in order to actually lose.

What is the apple cider vinegar deal?

I love salads, but I have to be so careful with the salad dressing or I'll gain weight on salads. What is everyone's recommendations for dressings?
If you need to exercise 2 hours every day in order to lose weight, eating "very healthy" then one of two possible things is going on:

1. Your idea of exercising 2 hours every day is the energy spent by lifting your fork to your mouth, and walking to the refrigerator for seconds.
2. You're not eating nearly as healthy as you think you are.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
If you need to exercise 2 hours every day in order to lose weight, eating "very healthy" then one of two possible things is going on:

1. Your idea of exercising 2 hours every day is the energy spent by lifting your fork to your mouth, and walking to the refrigerator for seconds.
Thats a bit crude imo. I happen to know a few people who exercise daily for at least 90 minutes and all they eat is "rabbit food". They dont lose weight either. They dont gain any but they dont lose either.

Perhaps your idea of exercise is extreme compared to the previous person's. My idea of exercise is a casual stroll down to the stop sign and back with maybe a few situps when i return. Yours might be a triathlon.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Thats a bit crude imo. I happen to know a few people who exercise daily for at least 90 minutes and all they eat is "rabbit food". They dont lose weight either. They dont gain any but they dont lose either.

Perhaps your idea of exercise is extreme compared to the previous person's. My idea of exercise is a casual stroll down to the stop sign and back with maybe a few situps when i return. Yours might be a triathlon.
Eating "rabbit food" isn't eating healthy. You have to eat, you have to include calories. If you try and starve yourself with a single carrot for breakfast, a handful of raw peas for lunch, and a smoothie for dinner, your body will resist your attempt to lose weight (at least at first).

I also don't believe you when you say you know "a few people" who exercise daily for at least 90 minutes and all they eat is rabbit food. I believe you might have read about a few people making these claims on the internet, or you met some guy, who knows some guy, who likes making bold statements about how he knows people who do this...when in fact he doesn't. Or maybe you're the one making the bold statement in an attempt to make a point.

But on the internet, there are just way too many people claiming "I know a few people who...." do things that the vast majority of people just flat out don't do, to get the results.

Your "few people" are either lying to you about how much they exercise and what they eat, or you are making an exaggerated claim to prove a point you aren't able to prove otherwise.

And my idea of exercise is 20 minutes on a Lifecycle and 20-30 minutes of bodyweight training, at least twice a week.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Eating "rabbit food" isn't eating healthy. You have to eat, you have to include calories. If you try and starve yourself with a single carrot for breakfast, a handful of raw peas for lunch, and a smoothie for dinner, your body will resist your attempt to lose weight (at least at first).

I also don't believe you when you say you know "a few people" who exercise daily for at least 90 minutes and all they eat is rabbit food. I believe you might have read about a few people making these claims on the internet, or you met some guy, who knows some guy, who likes making bold statements about how he knows people who do this...when in fact he doesn't. Or maybe you're the one making the bold statement in an attempt to make a point.

But on the internet, there are just way too many people claiming "I know a few people who...." do things that the vast majority of people just flat out don't do, to get the results.

Your "few people" are either lying to you about how much they exercise and what they eat, or you are making an exaggerated claim to prove a point you aren't able to prove otherwise.

And my idea of exercise is 20 minutes on a Lifecycle and 20-30 minutes of bodyweight training, at least twice a week.
Fine then. I dont believe you either. Ha!

Old 06-06-2014, 04:22 PM

983 posts, read 995,350 times
I hate to say it's all about diet and exercise, but, it's all about diet and exercise.

When I cut out a lot of sugar, the weight melted off. There is so much sugar in American diets it's unreal. When I first cut sugar, I felt like a crackhead jonesing for my next fix. It's tough.

I eat whole, real food. My philosophy is "If it came out of a box, it's not food anymore." I don't eat like a rabbit, I eat like an an omnivore.

Exercise, doesn't mean being a gym rat, but incorporate movement and move every day.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
A low-carb diet will work at any age. I don't see what's different about 40, but I"m told it's more difficult after menopause, though still possible. The endocrinologists in my town all recommend a low-carb, higher protein diet. When you reach your goal, you have to very gradually add the carbs, or you'll gain the weight back. The book "Protein Power", written by a couple of MD's, spells it out nicely, in great detail. It's foolproof.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:43 AM

9,859 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:

Hysterical reply! Hey, you're lucky you can keep trim & fit exercising a few minutes a couple times a week, good for you.

As for me, it is what it is. I sure don't mind it, I love hiking in the mountains, swimming, tennis, even the treadmill. My goal is to be strong, stay off medications, don't mess up my knees (big risk for people my age), and don't let the extra weight creep back on - I have 7 grandkids with 2 more on the way and I want to stay healthy.

Anyway, all I wondered about was the vinegar thing and all the "experts" recommendation on salad dressings when trying to lose weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss