Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 04:13 PM

26,096 posts, read 22,290,891 times

Advertisements

Walk an hour a day. Walking is an exercise and one that you can continue and not injure yourself simply by doing it. Too many people are blowing out their knees and hips with unnatural "exercise". Learn to eat right. Avoid ALL foods that have corn syrup and you'll be surprised at how many do. Eat as many foods as close to their natural state as you can and avoid processed foods/fast foods/microwavable meals etc. I think we all truly know what is healthy and what isn't and if we don't, the information is at the end of your fingertips. You have to change your lifestyle and it is much harder to lose weight as you get older and have less energy. I used to walk 2 hours a day but will turn 60 next month and just can't do it, take care of the pets and my adult son with DS and have enough energy to get everything done. Much depends on one's lifestyle just what they are able to do. Do not skip meals especially breakfast and do the small snack mid morning and mid afternoon and no food after 6:00 pm. Make sure you drinking water and green tea helps a great deal. We have found the most satisfying meals to consist of fiber, protein and Vitamin C. During the menopause years, it was difficult to keep the pounds off so I really had to work at it. I have never dieted in my life but made lifestyle changes and never became overweight. I also think it is beneficial to be weighing yourself at least one per week and having lost a couple pounds does not mean "binge"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 06:14 PM

50,480 posts, read 64,345,951 times
Haha, when we were in our 30s, my husband and I would just give up our evening rootbeer floats until we got back to the weight we wanted to be.
Now, we are in our 60s and it is much harder.
My doctor told me that we need 10% fewer calories for each decade after 30. I can tell you that this is true, so if you cut back you will save the trouble of having your weight become an issue later.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:11 AM

8 posts, read 6,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think all of the suggestions posted so far are good. I will not dispute them. However, for many of us over 40 these "rules" seem daunting and even unachievable.

So let suggest what has worked for me - even if they sound like "baby steps" and rather lame:

1. Eat off smaller plates and drink out of smaller glasses. (Smaller portions!!! Smaller portions!!!)

2. Eat out less, and much more at home.

3. No more patronizing fast food places like Burger King, McDonalds, KFC, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc.

4. No "Buffet" places! Never ever again!

5. Avoid all sodas - even "Diet" sodas.

6. Increase exercise. I joined a gym. If you won't join a gym at least be prepared to walk more than mile or two a day. Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.

Yes I agree with you, These are the good point and suggestions for every people who wants to loss weight not only for 20s or 40s.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:46 AM

806 posts, read 2,346,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronit View Post
These are the really good points to lose weight. These points always motivate you to lose weight.You can also do this step by step, after completion of first goal/point you will start with another goal. As we know Healthy diet and exercise is very important when we think about healthy weight loss.
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think all of the suggestions posted so far are good. I will not dispute them. However, for many of us over 40 these "rules" seem daunting and even unachievable.

So let suggest what has worked for me - even if they sound like "baby steps" and rather lame:

1. Eat off smaller plates and drink out of smaller glasses. (Smaller portions!!! Smaller portions!!!)

2. Eat out less, and much more at home.

3. No more patronizing fast food places like Burger King, McDonalds, KFC, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc.

4. No "Buffet" places! Never ever again!

5. Avoid all sodas - even "Diet" sodas.

6. Increase exercise. I joined a gym. If you won't join a gym at least be prepared to walk more than mile or two a day. Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.

This is what is working for me also. ^

Eat REAL food, minimize any processed foods.

Drink a small glass of lemon water first thing in the morning.
Eat a good breakfast.
Eat more salads with vinagarette type dressing. Vinegar helps with weight loss.
Snack on an apple or orange
It's OK to have some chips or candy, just not more than a handful.
Drink more WATER, add lemon juice.
Less alcohol (sugar=fat)
Smaller dinner portions, eat protein and veggies, small serving of carbs.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:16 AM

88 posts, read 192,678 times
All advice you are given here are common as it was best way for loosing weight all are using these advice only to loose the weight, in exercise you also add yoga, cardio, aerobics for women are good for keep your body fit and maintaining it by having these advises and general healthy diet.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:55 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,852,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTice View Post
All advice you are given here are common as it was best way for loosing weight all are using these advice only to loose the weight, in exercise you also add yoga, cardio, aerobics for women are good for keep your body fit and maintaining it by having these advises and general healthy diet.
Just a pet peeve, but it is 'lose weight' not 'loose weight'. Those are two entirely different things.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:20 PM

8,133 posts, read 12,876,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Just a pet peeve, but it is 'lose weight' not 'loose weight'. Those are two entirely different things.
I don't know about that. Have you ever seen a fat person running? I would call that "loose weight".

Old 07-26-2014, 01:08 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,610,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Haha, when we were in our 30s, my husband and I would just give up our evening rootbeer floats until we got back to the weight we wanted to be.
Now, we are in our 60s and it is much harder.
My doctor told me that we need 10% fewer calories for each decade after 30. I can tell you that this is true, so if you cut back you will save the trouble of having your weight become an issue later.
I agree; it was much easier to drop a few pounds in my thirties than in my fifties. Now , it really takes concentrated effort and a sizeable amount of exercise.

Back in the day, I'd just cut out chips and dip and lose 10 lbs in the process.

You simply cannot eat as much food at age 50 as you did at age 20 - even IF you are just as active if not more.

At least that is my experience.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:43 AM

50,480 posts, read 64,345,951 times
Besides the things I already said, unless I'm in the mood to splurge, which is Ok once in awhile, I no longer eat cheese, or any salad dressing that is white. I miss mayonnaise, but I can use 1/2 Miracle Whip and 1/2 plain yogurt and it's OK. I stay away from white flour and sugar as much as possible. I am mindful of everything I put in my mouth, and know where the hidden calories are. I can still choose to eat them, but then I must compensate somewhere else.
I decided I was not giving up my evening cocktail (rootbeer float of the aged), even though its 10 WW points, so I am not losing as fast. I also don't like to exercise, so I don't. My choice, and I know I must sacrifice something else because of it.
I am envious of those of you who are fat because you eat junk. For you it is as simple as cutting out junk. A really heavy woman in my WW group lost 5# in one week by giving up sweet tea, while I might lose .5 a week. I have always eaten healthy...no snacks, no junk, no fast food, so for me it is harder.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 AM

88 posts, read 192,678 times
You need to create a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. This means you must consume fewer calories than you burn. You can create a calorie deficit by either consuming fewer calories or adding more exercise, or a combination of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss