Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,231 times

Advertisements

I use a app on my smart phone that tells me what to do and when to do it. Its reminds me all day long on what I should and shouldn't be doing. It works for me as I almost new someone telling me so I stay on track. You can get the app free if your interested. It does have optional product to buy if you want but I only use one of their products because it was costing me more to buy all the supplements from the health food store. It also gives you alternate choices if you don't want to take their product which is comparable to what they have. Let me know if anyone wants more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,756 times
I think one of the best avenues to take on losing weight over 40, as I am, is to get some info on how the body changes as we age. There have been a bunch of studies on it and a few things I've learned have helped me understand how to get control of it. To set the record straight, I've had to wrestle with being overweight for much of my life and am now working toward that young, slender look I had back in my 20's and 30's. Now at 53, here are some interesting facts I had no clue of until recently...

*Around 40 years of age your body begins to age faster than before...you can actually age up to 6 extra months per year!
*Part of that aging causes loss of muscle mass and one pound of lean muscle burns about 90,000 calories per year.
*Eating the right foods at the right time of the day can make a big difference.

Good Luck!

Toaster

PS I'm thinking about trying this...
http://bit.ly/1p5auY5

Last edited by Toaster61; 09-09-2014 at 10:58 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 03:24 PM

46 posts, read 144,287 times
Live each day with G.R.A.C.E, and you WILL lose weight!

Gratitude (First and foremost, be thankful for all you have and all the beauty around you.)

Reflection (Think more carefully before you speak, before you act, before you eat.)

Abstinence from trigger foods (Address your emotions and daily challenges with interior wisdom rather than unhealhty foods in unhealthy portions which may only provide momentary gratification in exchange for many years of suffering with weight issues.)

Contentment (Make up your minds to be happy today and not let any toxic person or situation steal your joy.)

Energy (Move your body more today and keep busy with more constructive alternatives to sitting on the couch or at the computer. Go for a walk, join a local gym, do some gardening, clean out a closet-anything that will keep you in motion.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:19 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,407,091 times
Fifteen pounds over three months...

* I started a 13-week couch to 10k program and scheduled my workout times.

* I typed up a list of the 25 best anti-inflammatory foods, posted it on my fridge, and worked at least three into my meal plan every day. (The anti-inflammatory foods are a holistic approach to help manage a chronic disease, along with traditional medical intervention.)

* I kept a food diary and ate between 1200-1500 calories per day.

* I avoided restaurants and ate at home, where I prepared my meals from scratch.

* I drank only water and at least 72 oz. per day.

* I meditated once or twice a day to help manage stress, which always leads to binge eating for me.

* I made sure to get eight hours of sleep every night.

Unfortunately, after much success, I relapsed and gained back all the weight, but at least I know what works, which is why today I'm getting myself back on track.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:22 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,569,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katemitchell View Post
I am 42 and have been struggling to lose weight my whole life up until recently. What I have found is that different things work for different people and I was lucky enough to finally and I mean finally (lol) find one that worked for me.

I lost 18 pounds in one month without much exercise and it’s been a life changer for sure. I’m a little embarrased and not as brave as most people to post my before and after photos online but if anyone actually cares to hear what I’ve been doing then I’d be happy to help in any way.

Just shoot me an email at katemitchell874@gmail.com and I’ll show you my before and after photos, and tell you about how things are going for me with the stuff I’ve tried.

Tbh I wish someone would have helped me out when I was struggling to find a solution so if I can help anyone else then it would make my day.
Why not just tell us here what you did?

Me personally, I've lost 10 lbs. in less than 2 months. I am eating just a bit above my BMR (1500 calories per day) and trying to get some walking in at least 3-4 days a week.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:04 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,410,401 times
So I recently cut my calories to between 1200-1400 and increased my fiber consumption. I'm down four pounds in a week. It's not low carb or low fat.

I am taking a sugar free psyllium fiber supplement to keep me full between meals and increase my soluble fiber. 1 teaspoon three times a day

It's taken over a week, so 1-2 pounds may be water weight. I think the psyllium might cause that. It has motivated me to stick with it for awhile and not get frustrated.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:13 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,420,853 times
Default Simple stuff is all it takes

1. Exercise 5 days per week for at least an hour. Consider it ME time.
2. Don't eat after 6p.
3. Fast food in moderation.
4. Sweets in moderation.
5. Buy a juicer and make one juice as a substitute for a meal each day. I down 32 ozs of an organic veggie juice I make as a substitute for lunch or dinner, each day.
6. Make breakfast the most important meal of the day.
7. Drink pure water and lots of it. I drink 8-16ozs per day.
8. Try making plain oatmeal with water, nothing else plus water as a substitute for one meal at least 4 x/week.
9. Find someone who looks like how you'd like to look and use them as inspiration.
10. When you eat, limit the portions to the size of your fist. This is the size your stomach should be.
11. Go to bed early and get some rest. Try to get 8 hours.

All of these require discipline and your own effort. Don't take special supplements, get involved with fad diets, or be impatient. Adopt this is the way you will live. Changes will happen gradually, so it take patience. Once you start seeing the results however, the desire and commitment to remain faithful to these simple steps will be easier and automatic.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:21 PM

305 posts, read 656,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I disagree with this. IF someone is fat/obese I believe they DO need to give up things. Just like if someone is diagnosed with lung cancer, they should give up smoking, not just "cut back a bit". Or if someone is diagnosed with liver disease, they should stop consuming alcohol, not just "limit their drinking to only a cocktail or two per day". If a person is fat, they need to give up eating the foods that are horrible to them like cake, sugars, soda, ice cream, deserts, etc. If they feel "deprived" then they should look into visiting a mental health provider because they are looney in the head.

Knowledge is always key, then application of that knowledge is where success will be achieved.
No they don't, or rather there is no scientific evidence, not even implied, that what you are saying might be correct.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:35 PM

305 posts, read 656,705 times
There are so many diet and health myths here it is astounding.

I've lost 55 pounds over 3 years ago.

Exercise is healthy, but you don't need it to lose weight. This is a scientific fact. In fact it stimulates your appetite.

You don't need to deprive yourself of any food, you just need to deprive yourself of calories. You can lose weight on junk food if the overall calorie reduction is sufficient. Is it healthy? No, but it is possible.

I lost my weight by counting calories, no exercise. I still just walk my dog and do a lose version of intermittent fasting, I basically eat what I want some days and then other days I eat very little, in order to not regain. Actually this is not on purpose, I just kept this eating pattern from when I was actively losing weight because it was easier for me to eat very little some days so on other days I could eat more and have a treat. That is all. I don't eat very healthily overall. I don't drink soda because I don't like it, I can't think of anything else I'm doing.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:01 AM

56 posts, read 56,590 times
These are the steps I have followed with my husband and he has lost 13 pounds so far in 25 days:

Always have breakfast. Try to eat as soon as you wake up.
Eat every two hours.
Eat only chicken, lean beef (no pork), low fat cheese, low fat lactose free milk, low fat sugar-free yogurt, turkey ham, fish, low carb fruits and veggies.
All food preparation must be grilled, get rid of the fat.
Do not eat Salmon or tuna. Other sea food is allowed (oysters, shrimp, crab)
Drink water, tea and coffee (no more than 2 cups)
You can use organic stevia.
Eat egg whites but not the yolks.
Always eat the protein first, then you move to the fruit or veggie.
Do not eat anything that has been processed.
Do not eat any bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, avocado, pineapple, bananas, nuts (food high in carbs), sugar, honey, chocolate, etc.
Do not add any oil or vinegar to your salads or meal preparation. You can use herbs, condiments, salt or lemon for seasoning.
Drink low fat lactose free milk.
Do not count calories.
Combine this regime with a good quality multivitamin.

He doesn't feel hungry. He has gained muscle and when his coworkers bring junk, he's not even tempted to eat that. These are the steps for the first phase (3 months), then he will be allowed to incorporate some of the "banned" foods. In 6 months he will be eating with less restriction but not exceeding on sugars or "bad carbs".

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Me1313; 10-06-2014 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss