Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:56 PM

191 posts, read 516,655 times

Advertisements

Bump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 12:14 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Ann View Post
With bypass surgery I heard about the dumping problem. Do you throw up a lot after eating? Even if you eat allowed food do you still throw up?

I know 3 girls in my neighborhood who had gastric bypass. All 3 of them lost over 150 pounds each and kept it off for 5 years so far.

Don't you take the vitamins your doctor sells? Or buy your own and take them everyday along with a protein shake everyday?
Yes dumping can be a problem. Its a very fine line when you end up underweight and need to add pounds. I will have to stay on low fat/low calorie for the rest of my life. Dumping is an inconvenience but my other issues are a bit more extreme. I take vitamin and mineral supplements daily. Protein shakes are discouraged since the whole concept is to get back on a "regular diet". I work hard to met my daily requirement of calories and work even harder to keep food down. I sometimes fall back to protein shakes to get the nutrients I need. Although I've finally somewhat stabilized, I weigh and note every bite and drink I take to be sure I'm getting the nutrition I need. Its a slow road but not one that most people end up on. I have major absorption problems in addition to nausea and a tendency to dehydrate. Thankfully, I have not gone to a doctor or hospital since June. I'm looking to continue that trend.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Yes dumping can be a problem. Its a very fine line when you end up underweight and need to add pounds. I will have to stay on low fat/low calorie for the rest of my life. Dumping is an inconvenience but my other issues are a bit more extreme. I take vitamin and mineral supplements daily. Protein shakes are discouraged since the whole concept is to get back on a "regular diet". I work hard to met my daily requirement of calories and work even harder to keep food down. I sometimes fall back to protein shakes to get the nutrients I need. Although I've finally somewhat stabilized, I weigh and note every bite and drink I take to be sure I'm getting the nutrition I need. Its a slow road but not one that most people end up on. I have major absorption problems in addition to nausea and a tendency to dehydrate. Thankfully, I have not gone to a doctor or hospital since June. I'm looking to continue that trend.

I'm really shocked to hear this because, as I said in my last post, I know 3 girls who have done great with bypass. Also, for me, throwing up and feeling nauseous is extremely horrible for me. I swear I think last time I got sick was 10 years ago. I couldn't imagine if that was everyday or every other day. How do you go anywhere? Without worrying about being sick? What's holidays like??

I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I am considering bypass or sleeve surgery.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:37 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
I am sorry to hear this.

One of my old clients had a gastric bypass done, wonderful woman! I moved away for 4 years and then moved back to find that she had died. She was vibrant and fairly young (not even shockingly obese) and didn't make it 4 years past the surgery. People need to think long and hard about the complications.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I am sorry to hear this.

One of my old clients had a gastric bypass done, wonderful woman! I moved away for 4 years and then moved back to find that she had died. She was vibrant and fairly young (not even shockingly obese) and didn't make it 4 years past the surgery. People need to think long and hard about the complications.

I'm sorry to hear your friend died. Do you know what complications she died from??

Old 09-22-2014, 04:30 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Im not sure, Gail.

I did see her one last time after I moved back, and was surprised to see that she didn't look like she lost much weight compared to the last time I saw her, 4 or 5 years prior, right after the procedure was done. I guess I was expecting to see a huge weight loss. All I remember is dog sitting for her while she was in the hospital, and she had her fridge stocked with sugar free jello cups and some other small and liquid diet items that seemed very unhealthy even though it is part of the aftercare protocol.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:22 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Ann View Post
I'm sorry to hear your friend died. Do you know what complications she died from??
my sister has something similar to gastric bloat as a complication. She can not be more than 45 minutes from an emergency room and has has several attacks I guess you would call them. The stomach or intestines somehow get gassy and twist. It can be fatal. Some dogs such as greyhounds are at risk of this.

anyway, she is happy she has lost the weight but has to manage everything actively.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:39 PM

Is that a symptom of the Dumping? It's what they call when you throw up and get sick feeling when you drink or eat too fast, or eat the wrong foods.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
my sister has something similar to gastric bloat as a complication. She can not be more than 45 minutes from an emergency room and has has several attacks I guess you would call them. The stomach or intestines somehow get gassy and twist. It can be fatal. Some dogs such as greyhounds are at risk of this.

anyway, she is happy she has lost the weight but has to manage everything actively.
What Is gastric bloat caused from?? Drinking soda or anything fizzy? Or is it a component of the dumping syndrome??

Old 09-22-2014, 08:10 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
A gastric bypass Roux-en-Y procedure worked for me. Next month will be my 4 year anniversary.

I weighed 220 and dropped down to 150 in the first year, but I slowly put 20 pounds back on in the next 2 years. I have stabilized at 170 for the past year and a half.

I had severe Type 2 diabetes for 6 years - it progressed to the point that besides oral medication (Metformin) I had to inject myself with not one ... but two! ... different kinds of insulin (both my parents were diabetic, two of grandparents died in their 50's of complications of diabetes, and my older brother is diabetic). Since the surgery my diabetes has gone into complete remission. I no longer take any kind of diabetes medication. It is under control. While I still watch what I eat and test my blood with a glucometer on a daily basis, I can treat myself to pasta and/or a sweet dessert two or three times a week.

Two other bad things that I had to deal with as an overweight person were hypertension and OSA (obstructive Sleep Apnea). Those things have been gone for nearly 4 years.

So you might say I am the "poster child" for bariatric surgery.

Even my primary doctor said to me recently "you know, you probably added 5 to 10 years to your lifespan."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss