Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 01:36 PM

124 posts, read 186,366 times

Advertisements

Is there any truth to the statement that abstaining from soda pop (and other carbonated beverages, including sparkling water) will produce weight loss of some 20 lbs.? I have been the Diet Pepsi equivalent of a chain-smoker for years--especially in the 16 years since I gave up alcohol entirely--and am coming up on three weeks without soda. (I've been drinking mostly water and green tea in the meantime.) I have heard for years that giving up pop will cause weight loss.

True?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 02:27 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Giving up soda and replacing it with water will certainly make one lose weight, as you will be cutting out calories daily. Reduced calories = weight loss. As for cutting out diet soda or other zero calorie/artificially sweetened type drinks...the jury is still out and it depends what study you choose to believe.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Cutting out soda made with any kind of syrup (pepsi, coke, dr. pepper, rootbeer, 7-up, etc. etc) will also reduce your risk of tooth decay. Especially colas.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:43 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Well in my case it was true. I used to drink a 16 oz bottle of sodapop nearly every day for lunch for years. I weaned myself off the pop habit by switching to flavored seltzer, then to sparkling water, and finally now I'm drinking just plain water. Have lost 15 pounds as a result.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:40 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
I'm pretty sure they were referring to calorie-filled colas and beers.
I switched from regular beer to light beer and lost about 15 lbs.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:16 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conusmound View Post
Abstaining from Carbonated Beverages = Weight Loss? Is there any truth to the statement that abstaining from soda pop (and other carbonated beverages, including sparkling water) will produce weight loss of some 20 lbs.? I have been the Diet Pepsi equivalent of a chain-smoker for years--especially in the 16 years since I gave up alcohol entirely--and am coming up on three weeks without soda. (I've been drinking mostly water and green tea in the meantime.) I have heard for years that giving up pop will cause weight loss.

True?
Giving up soda is just SMART. If you worry about weight loss, or want to lose weight then you need to fix your entire nutritional intake AND workout. Not just "if I give up soda will I lose 20 pounds". Giving up soda is absolutely a SMART thing to do though and it sets you on the right path to weight loss. But even if you give up your soda and still eat a lot of other crappy food you will not lose weight, and could possibly even gain weight if your intake is bad.

Just think and know that giving up soda is the SMART thing to do if you care about your health/weight. Its been years since I have had any soda.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:59 PM

283 posts, read 385,698 times
#1 thing you can do to begin weight loss quest is give up sugars and HFCS. It's your first baby step in eliminating the carbs.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:53 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
I gave up drinking sodas 8 months ago, after developing reflux, and have lost 10 pounds and the reflux.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:08 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,826 times
If cokes and/or fruit juices are a large part of your diet, then creating a calorie deficit by giving them up will help with weight loss so long as you don't eat extra calories through other means (sweets/greasy foods etc).

I gave up cokes about 4 years ago for lent and I haven't had a coke since. I also avoid fruit juices but I'll occasionally buy a pack of Juicy Juice and let myself have a carton a day, but that's occasional.

I look at foods before consuming and ask myself what benefits they have for my body. Cokes have none whatsoever. Just packed with sugar and empty calories.

There are now some things I look at and cannot imagine putting them into my body, cokes being one and Ramen noodles being the other

Old 06-13-2014, 06:16 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post

I look at foods before consuming and ask myself what benefits they have for my body. Cokes have none whatsoever. Just packed with sugar and empty calories.

This this this this this ^^^^^^ A million times this ^^ This is the smart way to handle things. Once I was able to totally flip the switch from eating foods that I just like (eating for pleasure) to eating to help fuel my workouts (eating for fuel) life has become super easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
There are now some things I look at and cannot imagine putting them into my body, cokes being one and Ramen noodles being the other
I LOVE ramen noodles. Its my Ratatoulle (for those who saw the movie Ratotoulle) because it reminds me of my old college days but I don't eat it. Havent had any Ramen for about 3 years now because I know just how awful it is in terms of health.

Some things that I just don't eat anymore but love the taste of:

Bacon
Cupcakes
Twinkies
Fried chicken
Pork sausage
Soda (although the thought grosses me out now)
French fries
Fruit juice
Fast food (except for In-N-Out burger or Habit Burger)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss