Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 02:44 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times

Advertisements

Heck, im starving myself. I was used to eating 3-4k calories a day. Now im doing around 1500. Does that mean im supposed to eat 3-4k calories a day in "healthy" food as opposed to junk? No. healthy or junk i was overeating and one can say that me passing by the ice cream and ho-hos in the supermarket is burying my head in the sand but you know what? Ive lost 30 lbs in the past few months so i must be doing something right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 03:12 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Heck, im starving myself. I was used to eating 3-4k calories a day. Now im doing around 1500. Does that mean im supposed to eat 3-4k calories a day in "healthy" food as opposed to junk? No. healthy or junk i was overeating and one can say that me passing by the ice cream and ho-hos in the supermarket is burying my head in the sand but you know what? Ive lost 30 lbs in the past few months so i must be doing something right.

The advantage to healthy food over junk food is that the right food will fill you up for longer and you will have less cravings.

I used to think that as long as I ate 1400 calories a day, it didn't matter if I ate 1400 calories worth of chips and candy bars, or 1400 calories worth of healthier food. I've done it both ways though, and 1400 calories worth of chicken, fish, fruit and vegetables is a lot more filling than 1400 calories worth of chips and candy bars. Not feeling like I'm starving all the time makes it a lot easier to stick to my weight loss efforts. I've lost 95 lbs since February and I'm not even thinking of it as a diet this time, but as the way that I'm going to eat for the rest of my life.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:34 PM

One more reason people eat other than hunger or emotional problems; Theyre bored.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
One more reason people eat other than hunger or emotional problems; Theyre bored.
And learning why you overeat, -why- you eat so much that you now need to lose weight - is all part of the weight loss process. Yes, in some cases it is a mental disorder that needs to be treated as such. But usually it's pretty simple. I'm bored. I LIKE chips and just one won't hurt me. I had a bad day and comfort food - is called comfort food for a reason. I miss my mom's cheesecake so this cake from the suparmarket will make a reasonable substitute. That piece of boneless, skinless chicken breast with the herbs and seasonings on it was just SO awesome I might as well just finish the rest of it tonight - who needs reheated leftovers? It's still warm. It's ONLY salad, a couple more dollops of blue cheese dressing won't be so bad - besides it's protein and calcium, cheese is healthy right?

None of these "justifications" for overeating require a psychologist. They need the overeater to acknowledge that they're justifying, and stop justifying. Not as easy as it sounds, but the concept isn't complicated.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
That falls under the emotional umbrella. Any reason a person eats other than they are hungry is eating for emotional reasons.
If something tastes really good we tend to over eat it. Our hunger is over, but we want the sensation of experiencing the pleasure of eating it. Thats emotional.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:13 PM

No, emotional is "sob sob my bf left me boo-hoo" . Bored eating is "well, ive got nothing better to do"

Big difference.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:13 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,826 times
I floss/brush my teeth and put in my retainer

This is weird but on pinterest I've seen a few food craving chart meanings. I don't understand the rules on links here, but you can google "food craving chart meanings."

I tend to have a sweet tooth so I've started eating more of the foods that are recommended so that I can get the nutrients my body may really be telling me I want.

Not only that but I take MSM which I think helps cut down on the sugar cravings. But I make sure to eat at least 1 serving of cruciferous vegetables at dinner and I snack on almonds (for one of my snacks).

Old 07-11-2014, 12:25 PM

15 posts, read 12,998 times
Drink water
Choose a healthy snack to eat
Make sure you are eating and drink enough water through out the day
Exercise or do something to distract your mind
And ditch the Slim Fast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss