Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 08:29 AM

368 posts, read 929,951 times

Advertisements

I have to admit that I'm in a very depressed mode today. I woke up inflamed and exhausted despite 7 hours of sleep and can barely muster the energy to go to work. I've been diagnosed yet again with IBS and after enduring the torture of drinking 4 bottles of barium for a CT scan 2 weeks ago, I'm still feeling the effects. I can't take Imodium since that shuts my system down completely. I want to keep things moving but not this irregular-run-to-the-bathroom-only-for-a-small-mess-to-come-out nonsense. Granted, the 2nd GI I went to put me on Cipro and Metrodonizale (sp?) and told me cut out the Cipro early on Friday because I just had to go to the restroom at least once an hour. It's better now, but not much better. I have been eating the low FODMAP diet and although I've experienced no more 6 month pregnant bloating, I get terrible headaches and feel so tired and weak. I found some gluten free snacks to eat but they're calorie dense so I'm not gaining "good" weight of the 5 pounds I lost immediately from doing FODMAP. But oddly the gluten free snacks make my headaches go away, like Smart Popcorn, and things like that. I can't eat by snacking but whenever I have a vegetable of any kind, my stomach rebels. I'm eating the "yes" veggies on the list and I'm still having troubles.

I just feel as if I have so little options and I'm scared to eat out, scared to eat at work, scared to eat with anyone else because I have to tell them "hold the sauce, hold the bread, and maybe even hold the veggies." I guess meat and eggs is about the safest thing I can eat and even a food sensitivity blood test said I'm slightly sensitive to egg yolks!

Also most of the FODMAP recipes I'm finding are New Zealand-based recipes so a lot of the ingredients I don't even understand like courgette and caster sugar??? What?

And exercising? Forget it. Everytime I even did anything involving my core, my lower belly blows up like a balloon. Meanwhile, the doctors have said "Well the scans show nothing and your bloodwork shows nothing, so you're good, no need for a colonoscopy." Really? I just feel plain sick and eating "clean" isn't really helping or giving me more energy that I thought it would. Oh, and the kicker of this, is I have to eat even MORE veggies under low-FODMAP and I'm not a huge fan of veggies to begin with. Salads always made me feel a bit ill and there are just not that many veggies I find tasty without sauce. And now, no sauce.

Sorry for ranting. I just really don't even want to bother eating at all, the pain and unpredictability isn't worth it. I got used to being gluten free years ago, but now this is something completely different.

If anyone has experience with FODMAP or knows of a FODMAP dietitian in the States, please let me know. I was fine with Paleo actually and looking forward to eating that way, but this recent diet is throwing me for a loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 09:19 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,297,292 times
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. Though I've looked at the low FODMAP lists, I haven't actually attempted the diet. There are items (wheat, for instance) that I know are problematic for me, and my husband overlaps on wheat, but also has his own sensitivities.

Oh, courgette is zucchini, or summer squash. And aubergine is eggplant.

Have you actually eaten Paleo? If so, how did you feel? You may be experiencing aftereffects of the Cipro, and may need some probiotics to reset your tummy. Yogurt is good - look for yogurts that don't have any gums added to them. We eat a small amount of Greek yogurt with honey, and that does well for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss