Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 05:47 PM

256 posts, read 842,398 times

Advertisements

First time I ever had my own place and have done my own grocery shopping. I want to get into some good eating/cooking habits as I am overweight and want to change that. Keep in mind I am cheap and lazy, so I will not spend all day cooking or spend excess money on organic foods and such.

I figure theres a lot of variations on chicken, rice, and pasta but could use some suggestions

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,640,164 times
I'm cheap too but I don't cheap out on food. Think of it like tasty medicine. All the money I used to spend on junk I funnel into meat and veggies, mostly meat cause its pricey. You can only make a terrible cut of meat taste so good through seasoning and cooking.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:37 PM

29,753 posts, read 34,434,332 times
Make big batches of things (chili, salads, soups, etc.) on the weekends and portion them out to eat for lunches and dinners during the week.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:46 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,840,907 times
If there is a trader joes near you I highly suggest that. I live in NYC and I spend about $50 on food a week from there. One thing that may sounds like more work but actually saves time is planning out your meals. Find 2 or 3 dishes you want to make. Make an ingredients list and buy only that stuff. I usually cook meals on Sundays and Wednesdays. And freeze some of the extras because I had eating the same thing every day.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:04 AM

283 posts, read 386,112 times
I second the big batches:

Find a place near work that does salad bars and load up on fats and proteins with your greens
Avocado
Deli meat
Sugar snap peas in a bag
Brocolli
Steak
Hard boil a dozen eggs every weekend
Chicken (fatty parts too not just dry tasteless breast)
Cassaroles like loaded cauliflower with cheese, green onion sour cream and bacon

Old 07-18-2014, 12:19 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times
Are you cheap because you do not have the money to spend or are you cheap because you do not like spending money? Are you lazy to the point where you will not cook a meal?
In order to help you it would be great if you gave us a little more insight.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:47 PM

256 posts, read 842,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Are you cheap because you do not have the money to spend or are you cheap because you do not like spending money? Are you lazy to the point where you will not cook a meal?
In order to help you it would be great if you gave us a little more insight.

Nah I am a regular guy with normal job and could spend 15 minutes preparing dinner. Just saying that I prefer meals that are fairly quick and easy. I am somewhat frugal by nature and generally try to minimize reoccurring costs. Not gonna be eating Ramen noodles every day, but not going to be eating extravagantly either.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:13 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
Heres some creative ideas, ignore the Paleo designation , its just good food no matter what you call it.
Paleo Recipes

Old 07-18-2014, 05:18 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,219,628 times
It's your life and your health at issue here.

IMO, it's worth your time to research a healthy diet for yourself and find recipes that you can live with on a daily basis.

Eating well/healthy doesn't have to be expensive nor terribly time consuming, but you've got to be actively involved in putting forth the effort to be of benefit to yourself.

You may find that it is worthwhile to spend more time than "15 minutes preparing dinner" with a view towards health and a better lifestyle.

Dump the ramen noodles concept, or any other prepared convenience foods. They are universally unhealthy for you and you pay for that "convenience".

Learn to cook from scratch from good quality foods and you'll save money, eat better, and have a healthier situation. It doesn't have to be extravagant, but sound. Perhaps a low carb/high protein diet will work for you and be reasonably economical in cost and your time to follow.

Advice above re cooking in bulk, portioning out and packaging, and planning your meals ahead is very good advice. Cooking for one can be time consumptive if each meal is cooked to order; you can just as easily cook several meals worth of food at one time and then be able to reheat and serve as needed .... your own "convenience food", without all the additives and preservatives and junk in there that you don't need in your diet.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:11 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,695,956 times
For a start, get a crock pot since it's a real time saver. Try YouTube for quick recipes and make enough to last several days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss