Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 04:36 PM

8 posts, read 14,442 times

Advertisements

I am looking for certified organic/health food sources in LA and have not had much luck finding what I need.

First I need to ask, How much would you spend, if you live in Los Angeles area, and if everything that you consumed is of the highest quality Organic available, and what is consumed is only high quality grass-fed meats, vegetables and fruits? (no cheap grains, no fastfood: Paleo diet style).

I am talking 2 pounds of high quality grassfed and certified organic meat plus some certified organic/biodynamic vegetables and fruits, daily. How much will this amount to in dollars per month. Anyone can tell me where the best sources for the highest quality foods are? Farmers Markets? And where?

I know there is Whole Foods Market, but it is rather expensive and I found the quality to be pretty low compared to my home country where I ate almost only biodynamically/locally grown foods. Whole Foods Market seems to get their supply from very unsustainable organic industrial farms, like Cal Organic (they sell carrots and most vegetables, and are by the way, not really following organic principles), Rosie Chicken (who Michael Pollan has proven to be as bad as feed lot chicken, since they are fed most of their diet in SOY, which is no way natural for a chicken and which increases toxins in the meats, but the FDA allows it as long as its organic soy, oh well), and other numerous sources of huge farms which work with COMPLETELY depleted soils.

I am really looking for a organically certified AND grassfed source of beef/lamb/goat, so if anyone could point me towards that I would be grateful. It can be over the internet, but they have to be able to ship UNfrozen and in smaller quantities than 1/2 of a cow.

CSA's? (community supported agriculture) any recommendations here? Like where you get a box with seasonal vegetable/fruit once a week from a local farm?

Again please tell me what my options are as I find it hard to believe that there are so little sources of healthy food in such a big city. For example I haven't been able to find an organically certified butcher who carries only grassfed meats (other than whole foods market who I don't really like, don't really trust, and are expensive).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles