Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 03:32 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,642,047 times

Advertisements

I have bit of anemia & my doc said to add daily Goji's w/ raw cocoa to diet. Anyone try this for boosting iron stores in a male? Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 04:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,485,146 times
Well, it sounds like you have a trendy doctor! And there's no doubt that the combination can be a nice supplement, but I'd consider a few other factors...

1. Cost - that trendy combination is also one of the most expensive ways you can choose to boost your iron intake. 1/4 cup of goji berries and 1/4 cup will contribute perhaps 30% of your MDR, but not everyone can afford to do that everyday. And besides, you need to attend to your overall iron intake. There are lots of "everyday" foods that are high in iron at more affordable prices. Do a few minutes research on the internet to see what suits your taste buds and personal style, but among the best for cost/benefit are dark leafy greens like spinach and kale, dried fruits like raisins and prunes, nuts and seeds like sesame seeds and tahini, and if you're not a vegetarian, liver. And don't forget that there are iron-enriched products readily available like cereals, breads, pasta, etc. You just have to look for them.

2. Stimulant effect - cocoa has caffeine in it, and getting enough cocoa into your system to move the needle on your iron level may leave you more stimulated than you care for. You won't get that same hit from a serving of kale. That may or may not be a good thing to you.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:19 PM

Only took yrs for me to reply.

But, my anemia was better, said my doc last mos. when he saw me. I know Goji's cost alot but seem to help. I eat only dried cranberries as my other dried fruit. I used to eat raisins & dried prunes but cut them out due to these other 2.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:46 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,071,293 times
This is the iron complex supplement I use ( Integrative Therapeutics) - it features liquid liver fractions, a rich source of heme iron. Heme iron is the most easily absorbed form of iron, and doesn't cause side effects such as nausea (or constipation). Iron Complex also includes other synergistic factors known to increase absorption and promote healthy red blood cells. I have Celiac Disease and must take iron supplements every day.......my iron level is always within normal range as long as I take the supplements. I've been taking this supplement for about 4 1/2 years now. I also eat cocoa nibs - raw, sun-dried and organic - I get them from Whole Foods in the bulk food section - less processed than cocoa. Integrative therapeutics is sold at many compound pharmacies and you can buy them on line...$23 for a 90 day supply if you take one a day (I took 2 a day for almost 2 years).

Old 12-05-2014, 08:48 PM

22,674 posts, read 24,660,350 times
Liverwurst.....put it on celery, YUM!

Old 12-06-2014, 05:20 AM

88 posts, read 192,467 times
Yes it is really a good edible for this type of problem. Goji berries & raw cocoa are good sources of iron and can really help you to recover from anemia very soon.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:27 PM

I'm sticking w/ it despite cost. I luv the Goji's & cocoa -- & now am hooked, haha.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,437,403 times
I love this thread.
A vegetarian friend in the 70s was low on iron ...he was told
to eat raisins and wheat germ!
It worked!
I would have thought molasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss