Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 07:03 PM

53 posts, read 72,831 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are raising a five year old autistic daughter. Mentally, she has the motor-skills of a one year old child. She is still non-verbal and wears diapers. She has frequent meltdowns and often has sleep issues due to trapped gas. We've been told that many autistic kids become more manageable (and their symptoms become reduced, if not reversed) AFTER a new diet is introduced.

Can anybody who is knowledgeable about autistic children suggest some foods options that might make a difference regarding her behavior/development?

Thank you in advance!

All help is appreciated!

Sincerely,

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 10:12 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,625,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMichiganman View Post
My wife and I are raising a five year old autistic daughter. Mentally, she has the motor-skills of a one year old child. She is still non-verbal and wears diapers. She has frequent meltdowns and often has sleep issues due to trapped gas. We've been told that many autistic kids become more manageable (and their symptoms become reduced, if not reversed) AFTER a new diet is introduced.

Can anybody who is knowledgeable about autistic children suggest some foods options that might make a difference regarding her behavior/development?

Thank you in advance!

All help is appreciated!

Sincerely,

Steve
A Gluten and Caesin (wheat and dairy) free diet would be a good start. If you do further research that has been shown to exert positive benefits for a percentage on the autism spectrum. For an overall diet I would go with a modified paleo version that includes: fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and some startch items (potato, rice, quinoa, etc.) A supplemental vitamin like Super Nu-Thera is good for people on the GFCF diet.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/gl...ets-for-autism
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0229105128.htm

Last edited by GraniteStater; 10-19-2014 at 11:04 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 02:25 PM

Hi "GraniteStater",

Thanks for the info!

Sincerely,

Steve

Old 10-19-2014, 02:51 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,625,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMichiganman View Post
Hi "GraniteStater",

Thanks for the info!

Sincerely,

Steve
Sure thing! Keep us updated on how it goes.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:32 PM

Will do!

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Steve

Old 11-01-2014, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,050 times
I have a autistic little girl age 4 and she has a thing where she will only eat things that was colour red or dark in colour and always had to have tea for 4 no later anyone else have this problem

Old 11-01-2014, 08:18 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,283,899 times
OP, search "anti-inflammatory diet."

And I'm sure you know this, UT do not depend to see overhyped improvements based on diet ALONE.

For example, a lot of delayed children I know of do not like sweets. I think a lot listen to their body more than we credit them for.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:02 PM

11,037 posts, read 5,995,283 times
My own mother was autistic. I and my brother and most of his children have Asperger's and so did my son.
Quote:
And I'm sure you know this, UT do not depend to see overhyped improvements based on diet ALONE.
I think this is true but I also think diet and therapeutic nutrients can help a fair bit.

Quote:
... a lot of delayed children I know of do not like sweets.
My son seemed to prefer nutrient free meals. Not so much sweets though.

I would introduce things like raw cashews which are said to be a very good source of brain nutrients (they even help with depression which I can attest to). Make sure your daughter is getting all the micro-nutrients needed for good brain and body health. Sugar and refined carbs do not help and probably result in poor nutrient absorption (by inflaming the intestinal linings?)
Quote:
OP, search "anti-inflammatory diet."
All the best with your daughter,
Take care
303Guy

Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,994,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
A Gluten and Caesin (wheat and dairy) free diet would be a good start. If you do further research that has been shown to exert positive benefits for a percentage on the autism spectrum. For an overall diet I would go with a modified paleo version that includes: fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and some startch items (potato, rice, quinoa, etc.) A supplemental vitamin like Super Nu-Thera is good for people on the GFCF diet.

Gluten Free/Casein Free Diets for Autism
Gluten-free, casein-free diet may help some children with autism, research suggests -- ScienceDaily
I would also suggest a modified paleo diet, similar to The Perfect Health Diet (includes more starch than typical paleo diets).

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Health.../dp/145169914X

Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life | Perfect Health Diet

Old 11-03-2014, 11:12 AM

158 posts, read 707,052 times
My son has what the doctors feel is closest to Aspergers, we found the biggest help was removing food that had some of the more "affecting" Dyes. These include Red #40 mainly, we also keep an eye out on Yellow 6. When we dropped all food that had Red #40 though there was a big difference. It is in tons of stuff including White Icing... Thankfully Kraft finally removed it from Mac & Cheese.

The biggest improvement in his behavior though by far wasn't food, it was removing what we call "screen time". 90% of his violent/emotional rages went away when we put the XBOX/Wii into storage and limited his Movie watching to once or twice a month. He gets no TV time. This was difficult for the entire family, myself included as I have 5 computers and would love to play on them with him, but when we removed "screen time" he went from 5 suspensions and a forced transfer from his school to honor roll and being put into normal classes now.

We found this out because I was speaking to a police officer who said he had noticed a huge increase in violent calls about children and 90% of them included a child that spent a great amount of time in front of a "screen". We couldn't believe the difference it made for our son..

The crazy part was, 30 minutes on a console would give us 48 to 72 hours of an over stimulated child. As an example, 2 years ago we let him play 1 hr of XBox 360 for his 8th birthday (on saturday) and Monday he was suspended for 2 days from school for being out of control. The only suspension he received that year. This was when we put them in storage.

Last edited by sirdevan; 11-03-2014 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss